Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad interview with Larry King

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +192 / 7 / -23

Interesting interview, take some time and pick up this month's Smithsonian there is an interesting article on the roots of this conflict going back to the Shah.. it is what it is perpspective on a very difficult situation.

It is interesting that this took place, as King is Jewish..
  3. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I thought his response to bombing and more war was rather refreshing...

"This is a time for Culture and Reasoning"
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

His view on the differences between "zionists" and the jewish people are pretty interesting as well.

stating that the Zionists have no faith and wear a mask as if they do.

Larry King did a great job of interviewing.
  5. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

So let me get this straight....
    Mcain avoids the interview with Larry King and Ahmadinejad has no problem being interviewed by L. King!!!!
  6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Extremely interesting.

Brings up a lot of points that point out American hypocrisy regarding Saddam, Iraq, the US believing its views represent the world, and toppling Iran's democratically elected President before
  7. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Less interesting if you're Jewish and understand your history (hence the fact that the vast majority of Jews are Zionists). He's way off base on those views.
  8. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 7 / -10

#37 Jersey

Hey, these are "your" people. But by all means, vote with them.
  9. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Do you think that most Jews in America know their history so well, that they could actually be counted as informed, decided Zionists?
    Or is it that most Jews instinctively and emotionally support Israel, thus Zionism without having studied, not fully comprehending, understanding what Zionism is?
    I live in S. Florida where there is a sizeable Jewish population and I have to tell you, the average American of Jewish heritage, is not that well informed, in my experience.
    That goes for every other ethnicity as well. We as Americans are not well informed about or interested in our ethnicity / history, no matter what it may be.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Okay so if it goes for every ethnicity we are saying the majority has a below-average understanding.

This does not make sense to me.

I can respond through what little we can quantify:

1) Jews tend to be more, rather than less, educated than the general population... it's just culturally valued among Jews

2) Jews, like members of other ethnicities, tend to be more rather than less interested in subjects touching on their ethnicity, on average, than on other subjects. For example, across Jewish culture, one might find a minor spike in interest in, say, music or mathmatics or art or some other field (as measured against the general population.) But one would find a major spike in interest in Judaica in general, as well as any particular sub-category of "things related to Jews and Judaism." Israel is one of those things.

3) (1) and (2) militate for a conclusion that Jews would be fairly well informed on the subject of Israel.

Now -- the question of whether those you speak with have a tolerance for a wide enough spectrum of views for your tastes is another matter.

That spectrum is bounded by a very common belief in Jewish survival among Jews, something that has not been secure by any stretch of the imagination. So I think it is likely that your observation that Jews are simply insufficiently informed about Israel inherently includes consideration of alternatives that are anathema to those whose views you find uninformed.

In PFIEL's case, however, I must agree with you.

PFnV
  11. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 7 / -10

#37 Jersey

Typical response from a Jon Stewart Jew, not surprising.

2 of my cousins live in Israel, I am very well informed on what goes on there.

Before my great-grandmother died, she told me exactly what it was like when they first settled in Israel. So I am very well informed about history.

Maybe you are the one that needs to be reeducated.

Have you ever been to any part of the Middle East?
  12. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

That you are accusing what I consider one of the more even-handed posters here a cableTV-brainwashed Jew is indicative of your own extreme views.

It is entirely possible that your relatives are part of the CRAZY people who are completely brainwashed to hate all Muslims and think Israel can do no wrong.

Your post is like saying you have two cousins from redneck America and a great-grandmother from the Bible Belt who say Bush and the neocons are geniuses and that THE RAPTURE is coming soon.

Complete loonies.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  13. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Maybe you should try reading my post before spewing nonsense, and learn to take a joke, which is exactly what my last line in reference to you was.

Read the post, try again. You fail this time around.

Obviously we're from similar backgrounds. Add to that, we both have cousins in Israel; in my particular case my father's family fled the Holocaust to various destinations, Israel being among them. Given the history it's likely that pertains to your family as well. We probably have similar views on the core subjects of Jewish survival and the basic premise of Zionism, the belief in a Jewish state. Are you that bent on alienating everybody with your idiotic hate-spewing that you can't take the time to recognize that somebody is making your bloody point for you, albeit in more digestible terms? Or are you just thick?

And this "Jon Stewart Jew" crap is old, by the way. Near as I can tell, it seems to be random namecalling, and I still don't have any idea why the hell you think it's an insult. He's a funny guy. He's just not a branch of Judaism.

PFnV
  14. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I do agree with you that Jews tend to be more educated than not.
    I also agree that they tend to be more interested in subjects related to their ethnicity on the average, as opposed to Americans of most other ethnicities.
    These two facts however do not necessarily mean that they are exposed to a variety of points of view or that they get a fair and balanced education and learn what Zionism really is.
    Loving your relatives in Israel and praying for their safety is only normal and admirable but doesn't quite make one a Zionist.
    With your very last sentence, I believe you made my point and the gentleman is question with his post, confirmed it.