Welcome to PatsFans.com

Maher's message to the right wing press

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Mar 16, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Last week's epilogue, best of the season:

And finally, New Rule: The right wing press has to spare us the inevitable spate of stories about how the surge in Iraq is working. You know, like it's a dandruff shampoo. Let me give you a preview of what the next few months are going to look like. This is the cover of the National Review from May of 2005. The first line of the story says, "It is time to say it unequivocally, we are winning in Iraq." Then there's an article predicting that Britney Spears will be bigger than the Beatles because she's a musical genius who totally has her **** together.

Now, before you even start with the "there you go, rooting for America to fail," no, I'm not. I'm rooting for you to see reality. I'd love us to turn things around in Iraq. But, so far, The Secret isn't making it happen. Yes, murders are down in Baghdad since the surge started. Just the way daddy stops hitting mommy when the police are standing on the front porch.

The way you tend to stop having sex with your secretary when your wife walks in the room. This is what John McCain called our "Whack-a-Mole" strategy, except that you can actually win at "Whack-a-Mole." But, we can't stay in Baghdad forever. Yes, we can temporarily stem violence in any given area with our policy of going house-to-house, kicking in doors and rousting the locals. Or, as Bush calls it, "winning hearts and minds."

But, we're not going to bluff the Arabs into thinking we're more stubborn than they are. That's like trying to bring peace to Northern Ireland with a drinking contest.

Now, I would never say that Islam is not a religion of peace. Because if you do, they'll kill you. It's a religion of peace. There's a piece of you there. There's a piece of you over there. But, this little tiff between the Crips and the Bloods over there that's been going on since 632 A.D., and there are only so many times you can turn the corner before you realize you're going in circles.

I've seen this movie, this "Surge" movie. It's called "Staying the Course," and it stars President "Daydream Believer" as a square-jawed fighter pilot who refuses to give up. And it ends with him back in Texas, driving his go-kart into a guppy pond.

The news may be getting better out of Iraq, but the truth isn't.

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen. I appreciate you being here.
  2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

"Now, I would never say that Islam is not a religion of peace. Because if you do, they'll kill you. It's a religion of peace. There's a piece of you there. There's a piece of you over there".

Wow. That's a far cry from when he called the 9/11 hijackers "warriors "(and no I'm not connecting Sadam to Bin Laden). So it seems he understands the nature of these animals, but disagrees with the solution. I'm not sure he has a solution. Probably just another finger pointer.
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Bill Maher has severe mental problems, from what he's shown.

//
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

HA! Bill Maher, biggest fraud on TV. Yup, that "Libertarian" that he is (sarcasm). He's undeniabley the biggest hack in Hollywood. I can't stand Ann Coulter, Odorman, Limbaugh, etc, but at least you know what line they are spewing for. This clown hides behind the BS of claiming to be a Libertarian. What a fraud he is. He's an applause guy who knows virtually nothing about real life, or real issues. All he does is pander to the crowd, and play for applause. I'll never forget when he had Stephen I. Smith on, and he asked him about Jesse Jackson, expecting the african-american Smith to give him the usual cushy BS reply to get some applause, and instead Smith hammered Jesse, and and said that Jesse is more about himself than he is about African Americans. The crowd hissed, and Maher was dumbfounded. Imagine that, someone telling their views and not being "politcally correct" and Maher didn't like it. Total joke of a show. If someone locked him, Rush, Coulter, and Odorman in a room and lost the key, we'd all be better for it.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Gee Bill MAhr standing once again from Freedom od expression and diversity of opinion....As long as it agrees with his opinion.
  6. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 6 / -10

#37 Jersey

So true, and 2 posters here that match your description to a T.
  7. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I can't completely agree with that. Maher is in a class by himself. At least Olberman -- who grates like fingernails on a chalk board -- never called the terrorists "gutsy" in front of the American audience. If Maher was in Tehran or on Al Jareeza, I could see it, but to the U.S. audience!! He pushed the envelope, but it pushed him back.

Rush and Coulter, for all their bombast (gets people to listen/read them, at least; good for ratings/$), at least have a point of view that is consistent. They may be hard to stomach as daily diet (as they are for me), but I know they will always be consistent.

Maher is different. He's completely off the reservation, in his own world. Cookoo land. He's trying to define a new genre, but he just acts like he's had too much mescaline or something.

//
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

Ha, Ha, ha Bill Maher, one of the Liberal Bush Haters biggest A$s Holes, PressCover and Maher were made for each other, I thought you had more brains than to post "Maher's Sh!t", that guy belongs in an Asylum with Al Gore.
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Actually, I think even Al Gore, wacky and hypocritical as he is, is not nearly as whacked as Maher. That boy is dangerous.

//
  10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

lol.... what a case study in right wing distortion and spin... how utterly satisfying.... "quickly turn to page 2 of your political debate manual as provided by our hero Karl Rove: ignore the message completely, and just smear the messenger...."
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think Maher is #1 on the fraud list. He's the chief with the other tardo's being the indians.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

We all know you love Bill Maher. Afterall, you're a Libertarian right? :rolleyes:
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

14. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Maher is right. In fact, just today the pinhead from the neo-conservative bible Weekly Standard Matt Continetti said exactly that. There are roughly, what, 160,000 in theater plus a boatload of mercenaries? OK

We now know that more troops in Baghdad will quell violence in a city of 6 million people. All we need to do is extend that to security for 24 million.

By my estimate, that means we will need 160 x 4 = 640,000. So, looks like Shinseki was right.

That said, WTF is pinheadineaglesland still doing on the couch??
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

80%+ of the villnece has taken place in a 30 mile radius of Baghdad, much of the rest in the Sunni Triange. The rest of the country is pretty quiet.
  16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The thing about Maher that sticks out the most to me is that he was the only person in America who got fired in the aftermath of 9-11. That's right, just lil' ol' Bill.
  17. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Really? Is that your official statement Mr. "Valerie Wilson was not covert" patsfan?
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Why bother resorting to factual data? Some people have a stake in failure. How people cannot want the counter insugency strategy to work is beyond me.
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Yeah I see Palame is testifying she was covert, well since a proven liar is making a self serving statement we can all that that to the bank :D :p
  20. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

She was under oath, something that your guys seem to be afraid of. You think Cheney would do the same? :D

Why, whos the liar here anyway, Mr "Global Warming is not man-made"?