Welcome to PatsFans.com

Maher on L.A. cops at MacArthur Park

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, May 15, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

And finally, New Rule: We should pay the police more. And, in return, demand they stop beating up innocent people.

You know, those of us who live in L.A. have been barraged lately by TV images of the police over-reacting at a Latino demonstration in MacArthur Park. You've seen the video. The scene looks like a barbecue in George Lopez's backyard. And then, suddenly, the cops are firing rubber bullets and knocking over children. You don't usually see Mexicans running that fast unless a bull is chasing them.

Now, of course, the majority of policemen are honest, hard-working and dedicated. And I'd appreciate it when you put this on YouTube, you leave that part in.

I, personally, have been helped many times by policemen. In fact, just last week, a local patrolman helped me get a stripper named "Cat" down out of a tree. Damn "Cat" got up a tree.

And I was engaged to a cop once. Well, not a real cop, but she was dressed like a cop when she came out of the cake.

But why are we, in America, constantly seeing videotape of officers in one police department or another beating the dog-sh*t out of defenseless people? I think all Americans would say to the police everywhere, "We want to support you, even to love you, but you have to remember it says 'to protect and serve' on the side of the car, not 'what the f**k are you looking at?'"

What happened in MacArthur Park was far from the worse violence I've seen. But what sickened me was the attitude of the police. To see these sweet, humble Mexican people holding American flags, and then being shoved to the ground and bullied out of the park on their day of celebration--probably one of their few days off from work. You know, if anyone deserves to be crabby about having a sh*tty job, it's them.

And I know it is true when they say, "You can't know what it's like to be a cop." You're right. I can't. I'm sure there are moments of sheer terror. And it undeniably takes great courage and macho. I couldn't do it. Which is why I didn't sign up for it. You chose to deal with the dregs of society. I chose to deal with Tucker Carlson!

Shrinks deal with crazy people everyday. You never see Dr. Phil say, "F**k it," and start wailing on a guy!

But, when it comes to cops, we're supposed to let it slide, because being a cop is stressful. Hey, if you think being a cop is the only stressful job where you have to deal with the scum of the earth everyday, try the entertainment industry.
    Last edited: May 15, 2007
  2. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I actually agree completely with your post, PC.
    I cannot stand to see police brutality anywhere or time.
    Although, I realize when they are responsible for controlling large, unruly crowds, it's hard to keep playing nice. They have a job to do and the crowd has their vindictions. It gets ugly.
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Mahr is usually spot on in my book; but the time to fight the cops is in court. You have to do what they say outside of court and if they do something egregious enough you just deal with it and later find a lawyer who'll work on contingency and have him beat the crap out of the cop on the witness stand and in deposition hell.

In court you're given the presumption of innocence. Its like starting a Football game up by two touch downs. Out on the street it works exactly the opposite. Fighting with the cops on the street is about the same as BB having a choice of playin' the Colts on the road or at home and choosing the RCA Dome, its just dumb.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

----Maher----
    :singing: :singing: :singing: :bricks:
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

beating everyone in their path, including obvious journalists, for the chaotic actions of some .01% of the throng seems a bit extreme... especially in their own park, on their one day of celebration...
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

Why does everyone ignore the part about the police being antagnozied before they moved to disperse the crowd? I by no means think that the police are always right, and have even been criticized in here for giving cops a raw deal, but with a crowd like that, all it takes is a couple of idiots to set things off. Did the police overreact? Probably, but tell me where they haven't acted in a similar fashion anywhere else where a crowd was involved and got unruley. I think cops overstep their authority on a number of occassions, and far too often, but the dramatizing of what went on in this incident is completely politically driven. This happens all the time, be it a team winning a championship, or any other rally where some portion pisses off the police.
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -26

Good point, and while I disagree with the overall actions of the police.. I guess it does happen all the time.. haven't been to a rally that was broken up by batons in a long time.. if this is the norm, it is not a good norm.. police are supposed to keep the peace, not create more chaos.. it is a fine line, but a line nonetheless.. and when the group you are supposed to be controlling do not perceive your actions as equitable or fair anarchy will ensue as it did here.
  8. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +116 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So what's an acceptable response for police? What if someone throws a bottle of urine and the police responded by firing their Glocks? Hell, they were provoked!
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

Now that is what I call a nice pair of red overalls. :eek:

As is usually the case, two sides are never presented. The first video I saw on the incident started with a hispanic woman stating that some people got testy with, and antagonized the cops, and then they moved to disperse. Does that exonerate their behavior? No, but it does point to cause and effect.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

C'mon now Pujo, be reasonable. Did they fire Glocks?
  12. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

This is the second time in a week that you've taken a hypothetical example (those start with "what if") literally. The question is what constitutes an appropriate response to urine-bottle throwing?, and the example I gave was obviously an example of something that wouldn't. This is to show that unine-throwing can't be used as justification for every possible response.
    Last edited: May 16, 2007
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

Oh, my bad, so you didn't post that reply to counter FTW's point that the urine throwing was reason enough. :rolleyes:

Hypothetical and all, it was a ridiculous statement.
  14. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Fine, it was ridiculous to ask a cop where he would draw the line. One guy throws urine, everyone gets beaten with batons. Works for the LAPD!
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +388 / 5 / -2

Yup, they were beating EVERYBODY with batons, and it was only one guy who threw urine. :rolleyes:

This is what i mean by drama, and politicizing an incident. It moves to extremism, and idioticy. There's a large rally, or protest, whichever you prefer, and some people get unruley with the cops, to which they move to disperse. From there it goes to the police violating rights, and being totally at fault. When the issue if presented on both sides, people start posing ridiculous hypotheticals that have nothing to do with the actual incident at hand. When that isn't enough, they resort to extremism of one guy throwing piss, and the cops beating up EVERYBODY.

And another thing, in the video I first saw about this incident, some lady complained they didn't warn them, and just moved them out of the way or something. In the video FTW provided, they had choppers flying over head telling the crowd to disperse. None of this means the cops were right in what they did. All I am trying to point out, is how one side always tends to be presented until further notice.
  16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 2 / -9

How would these poor abused little darlings have behaved if the Police were not there, how many times to these kind of people purposely antagonize the Police to get the Attention they are now getting and to also get the public to say "Bad Cop".

Demonsrator Kooks HATE Cops