Welcome to PatsFans.com

Maher: "I mail myself a copy of the Constitution every morning... "

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Mar 24, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

appropriate on so many levels, Maher's epilogue is better with each passing week...

And finally, New Rule: Liberals must stop saying President Bush hasn't asked Americans to sacrifice for the war on terror. On the contrary, he's asked us to sacrifice something enormous. Our civil rights.

Now, when I heard George Bush was reading my emails, I probably had the same reaction you did: George Bush can read?! Yes, he can. And this administration has read your phone records, credit card statements, mail, Internet logs. I can't tell if they're fighting a war on terror or producing the next season of "Cheaters." I mail myself a copy of the Constitution every morning just on the hope they'll open it and see what it says.

So when it comes to sacrifice, don't kid yourself. You have given up a lot. You've given up faith in your government's honesty, the goodwill of people overseas, and six-tenths of the Bill of Rights. Here's what you've sacrificed: search and seizure, warrants, self-incrimination, trial by jury, cruel and unusual punishment. Here's what you have left: hand guns, religion, and they can't make you quarter a British soldier. If Prince Harry invades the Inland Empire, he has to bring a tent.

You know, in previous wars the home front made a very different kind of sacrifice. During World War II, we endured rationing, paid higher taxes, bought war bonds, and in the interest of national unity, people even pretended Bob Hope was funny. Right, like you laughed at him.

Okay, women, donated their silk undergarments so they could be sewn into parachutes. Can you imagine nowadays a Britney Spears or a Lindsay Lohan going without underwear? OK, Bad example.

But, look, George Bush has never been too bright about understanding "fereigners." But he does know Americans. He asked this generation to sacrifice the things he knew we would not miss: our privacy and our morality. He let us keep the money. But he made a cynical bet that we wouldn't much care if we became a "Big Brother" country that has now tortured a lot of random people.

And yet no one asks the tough questions like, "Is torture necessary?" "Who will watch the watchers?" "And when does Jack Bauer go to the bathroom?" I mean, it's been five years. Is he wearing one of those astronaut diapers?

In conclusion, after 9/11, President Bush told us Osama bin Laden could run but he couldn't hide. But, then he ran and hid. So, Bush went to Plan B: pissing on the Constitution and torturing random people.

Conservatives always say the great thing Reagan did was make us feel good about America again. Well, do you feel good about America now? I'll give you my answer, and to get it out of me, you don't even have to hold my head underwater and have a snarling guard dog rip my nuts off. No, I don't feel very good about that.

They say evil happens when good men do nothing. Well, the Democrats prove it also happens when mediocre people do nothing.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  2. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Im no fan of Bush.

But Maher is the same idiot who called the 9/11 terrorists brave and consistantly makes bigoted comments against people of faith.
  3. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +88 / 7 / -11

#37 Jersey

You could say that about most liberal democrats.
  4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's really brave of Bill Maher the way he is a liberal and invites 2 other liberals onto his show with a very liberal-sympathetic audience so they can all gang up on the token conservative.

I bet he feels real smart every every taping of his show since he was part of a group of 3 panelists (plus the audience) all attacking one solo right-winger. :rolleyes:
  5. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Actually, he never attacks his guests, otherwise they wouldn't show up. At times he waves his audience off so the guest can continue. I've seen him line up all three conservatives as guests as well as all three liberals. But, lets face it, your not going to like him because he's a liberal and he's a comedian. He's a far cry from Rush who screens his callers so that he doesn't get shown up.
  6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The worst of it is how he and Al Franken 'flipped' Arianna Huffington. She was a good little Conservative house wife until those two came along. Now she has a blog and everything.
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

doesn't really say much for the format of every serious news "show" on Fox then, now does it?
  8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OK, apparently you've never watched the show if you believe that to be true.
    Well I watch it pretty faithfully and can't quite seem to remember the "3 conservatives" show. Every week it's 3 liberals (and the audience) versus 1 conservative.
    What makes you think I don't like him..? I watch the show and find it fairly amusing - especially "New Rules". It just gets boring when Maher falls into his typical routine of preaching at the viewers.
    Anyone besides me ever notice that everything with liberals always comes back to either Rush Limbaugh or Fox News..? I mean it - literally. They are physically incapable of discussing the media without bringing up Rush Limbaugh and/or Fox News. :rofl:
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +361 / 1 / -9

Maher is a "Dope" not even worth a comment from me.
    :bricks:
  10. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I watch his show every week.

He has had a panel of three conservatives on. He's also had a panel of two conservatives and one liberal. His preaching is part of his routine. I've seen him live and he does the same thing. He's entertainment, as is Rush to some people, they bring opposing views into thier program, and that is why I compared the two. Maybe you could come up with a beter conservative entertainer to compare him to. Maybe you could look back at any of my past posts and find where I've brought up Fox News and Rush when defending my position. When you presume or throw me into your thoughts on liberals you lose credibility. Read what I've posted and not what group you think I fall into.
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +361 / 1 / -9

I wonder what Maher's thoughts are on America's enemy training little children to be suicide bombers, we will never know, Liberal Bush Haters try to make believe it isn't so, to much talk about it might make Americans mad God forbid we don't want America to get mad at the "Glorious Muslims" they are wonderful and there are so many "good ones" all Liberals have a "good muslim friend", what do "good muslims" think about the "little bombers", they don't say anything so they must agree with it. "HEY, GOOD MUSLIMS, WHERE ARE YOU"

"Mommy"
    "Yes dear"
    "Will it hurt when the bomb goes off"
    "Think of Allah dear, Praise Allah, he will have 72 little Virgin Boys waiting for you in Paradise"
    "Oh boy mommy, God is great, death to America"

Somewhere over the rainbow
    Way up high.
    :bricks:
  12. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Actually Harry (I know I've lost you right there), I was watching Larry King when he had Maher on as a guest. A caller from Middle East descent asked Maher why he always insulted Muslims on his show. Maher replied, because Muslims do not speak out against Muslim terrorists. You really should watch his show Harry, a couple of puffs and you'll be in stitches.
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +361 / 1 / -9

Maybe your right, if he insults Muslims I may agree with little pressycover, Jesus, and if he insults Muslims he can't be as bad as I thought he was, he also has another thing going for him he used to date Ann Coulter and is still very good friends with her.
  14. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We must be talking about entirely different shows, so I apologize for what is certainly my error. Because the Bill Maher show I watch on HBO is consistently 3 liberals and the audience versus 1 conservative.

A especially pathetic instance of this was from last week when George Costanza kissed Dan Rather's ass in the most servile, obsequious manner imaginable.... he was practically tripping over himself to establish how "honored" he was to be sitting alongside one of the most "ethical and responsible" journalists of our day.

I think even Dan Rather knew it was a load of sh*t. I mean seriously... it was George Costanza's most hilarious material since Seinfeld ended... if his own sit-coms were that funny, maybe he wouldn't be cancelled...
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  15. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I search for his guest lists, but no luck. He did have three conservatives. One episode, he invited a large contingent of conservatives for the audience. I think they were from a local university? George Costanza did have one really funny line. I noticed how Dan Rather would overpower the other journalist. She would make a point, then Rather would approve it. He always bugged me, and still continues to do so.
  16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Try Wikipedia there Scout, even though the 847,000 times Anne Coulter and Joe Scarborough are listed as having been panel members are probably just 'liberal hogwash'
  17. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Wasn't that about the time she saw her husband, Michael, go around the corner?? Must have pissed her off no end.

//
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

I thought he was a Libertarian? :rolleyes:

Time Mag: You describe yourself as a Libertarian. Is that even a political designation anymore?

I don't know. There's no one in the Libertarian Party who breaks through, even to Ralph Nader status. I've always thought of it as allowing people to do anything they wanted to do as long as it doesn't hurt somebody else. Sometimes people say to me, "You're not a real Libertarian because Libertarians believe there should be no gun control." I'm not a radical Libertarian, O.K.? Every party has something of a big tent.
  19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

His show is awful. It's all about applause, and nothing about substance. It's not intellectually appealing as the key s to say something that gets the crowd to hoot and hollar. You know like "save the children!".

Think Deval Patrick supporters, and you've got the Bill Maher target audience. I've watched his show in snippets, and it's really dumb.