Welcome to PatsFans.com

Magnetic mega-star challenges black hole theory

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Ahhh science!

Thats the cool thing about it, it can totally be challenged, and actually invites it. When something undiscovered comes to light and challenges past theories, things change.

Its not like they have to change past laws of physics to fit current findings, ya know?

Magnetic mega-star challenges black hole theory | Raw Story

The article says that the stars were created 3-5 million years ago, thats odd, I thought th euniverse was created only 5000 years ago? you know when jesus rode donosaurs...

http://etsycrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/etsy-marketing-riding-dinos3.jpg

anyway... kinda cool stuff.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 1 / -9

What created the stars?

Whatever it was that created the stars, "what created that"?

God--------:confused:
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Science asks HOW the starts were created?
    Faith asks WHO created the stars?
    Harry asks WHAT created the stars?

perfection.
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

It was a guy named Murray.
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Did religious people beat the *&^% out of you when you were a child?
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

...but why be a dick? There was nothing anti-religious in that post. Bad day?
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The original post was clearly mocking the deeply held religious beliefs some people have for absolutely no reason whatsoever while referencing an article that has absolutely nothing to do with religion.

So I think the "why be a dick" question is really one you should have asked Holy Diver - perhaps after you ask it of yourself.
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Bad day? WTF? a better question would be: Bad millennium?

Wolfie simply won't permit anyone having a civilized discussion if that discussion's likely to go in a direction he doesn't approve of. What have you been reading?
  9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Tell me, what is so "civilized" about a thread that starts with the following quote:

"The article says that the stars were created 3-5 million years ago, thats odd, I thought th euniverse was created only 5000 years ago? you know when jesus rode donosaurs..."

I guess in your hateful, warped world, gross and blatent religious bigotry constitutes a "civilized discussion." :rolleyes:
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Clearly Wolf has one side of the bed that he wakes up on, its the defensive side.

Yeah...CLEARLY I am posting the diffeneces in discoveries in science from beliefs in origins from faith. I could've just as easily mocked the fact that the world was made of clay, or woman was created from the rib of a man, or that th eEarth was created in 7 days, or that people were turned into salt, or that Noah built a ship...captured a male and female of every species and waited it out for 40 days and nights. but I chose donosaur jesus instead.

I'm also pointing out that sometimes science gets asked questions by its own community, and is forced to answer. Thats why science is cool. I dare you to attempt to question the Bible and not have thumpers jump down your throat for blasphemy...I'm supposed to believe heresay from 1800 years ago by people who couldn't write that got rewritten a buch of times after??? no thanks.

One of the saddest aspects of scientific discovery and its unveiling is the caution most world leaders express with its relation to beliefs by all faiths. If they found a monolith on the Mars' orbiting asteroid Phobos (for instance) YouTube - Mars Monolith - Buzz Aldrin Confirms Phobos Structure The first reaction by those who are guided by faith are that they were either only told a portion of the tale, or the tale they were told is untrue. Panic. The first reaction by the scientific community would be "How did that get there?"

Science is not a religion, it is the search for the WHY. Faith instead claims to have all the answers, and those that it can't answer, God doesnt want you to know the answer. Its rhetoric (in my opinion).
  11. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +155 / 2 / -1

I rarely agree with Wolfpack, but I think it's fair to say that this was a needless shot at religion. While I agree with what you've said, HD, it was gratuitous.

I don't think it's likely that a civilized discussion could be had on this forum regarding religion. (Probably on very few internet forums, for that matter.) But it's certainly not going to happen if it start with mocking.

That said, I also find it amusing when wolfpack complains about other people's attacks, lack of tolerance or "bigotry," and there's certainly no lack of other threads here that are started as gratuitous shots of some sort, so I guess who gives a f*ck...
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

Wolf certainly mocks others in threads, but he's got a point here. The first post reminds me of something an old lady (distant cousin to boot) once said to my aunt, when we were in Italy one summer. She said (in Italian but I'll translate) "Hey Mary, how've you been, and how's that whore daughter of yours doing?" All with a legitimate smile on her face. I was like um... Only in Italy I guess.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Daummmm...

did I do that...did I make you side with Wolf...? In the immortal words of Clay Davis "Sheeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyiiiiiiit!"

YouTube - Shiiit

Since when is religion 'untouchable'? The same who are protesting this thread, are the same who complain about Muslim prayer in NYC? get real.

Its a shot a the belief system that has gripped the greater part of our population. Its the belief that we are not powerful, that we have no answers, that only if we believe in a legend that we will be truly free...after we die...good luck with that.

This belief in all its forms is the cause of much of our global conflict, and the stunting of our growth. Its an invisible crutch.

I believe that Faith is yours, not mine. Meaning if you believe it, all the power to you. But if science comes along and slaps you across the face with some hard evidence, people will treat such an even as a "test" when infact it is not.

This recent discovery is not a "test" to science...it is a challenge, and that is what makes science cool.

I'm just saying.
  14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

... or like the discovery channel show I was watching said...

"How do we know if we aren't a universe inside of a massive black hole?"
  15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not the one being defensive here. Your hatred and your intolerance and your bigotry is well established and is on the record. I just find it hilarious that you post about "dinosaur Jesus" and then another ignorant fool accuses me of not allowing others to partake in "civilized" discussion.
    I've been to many a science class in my life, no doubt far more than you, and I have never once had a "Bible thumper" jump down my throat.

Maybe that's because I study and believe what I believe, but don't mock others who don't share my beliefs. Except your belief that there are secret alien bases on the moon. That I will mock with regularity (and yes, folks, he really believes that).
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Look, you posted an article (which I gladly admit was an interesting piece) that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with religion, and you used it to take a gratuitous shot at certain religious beliefs. Don't blame me for your own bigotry.
  17. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +155 / 2 / -1

OT: really, HD?
  18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes he does. That's why I find it especially laughable when he criticizes other people for having what he considers ridiculous beliefs.

Of course, he also doesn't think the moon rotates. But I think I straightened him out from that erroneous belief.
  19. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow.
    From one of the most bigoted, closed minded people here this is pretty good stuff. I like how you call him out for acting like you, then you immediately assume the popular internet defense of "I'm smarter than you because I said so" similar to the old standard during kindergarten recess "My dad can beat up your dad".
    And the "bible thumpers don't attack me" line? Not a suprise considering you are probably a bible thumper yourself.
    And you don't mock others who don't share your beliefs? Ok, but you DO straight up insult them.
    You are either more delusional than Harry Boy and Disgruntledtunafan combined or you think that everyone here is so dumb that they can't follow you from one thread to another and put two and two together.
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don't be ridiculous. All I did was say I clearly know more about astrophysics than he does, as evidenced by his belief that the moon doesn't rotate (not to mention his belief that aliens have secret bases up there).

Sorry, but if you say the moon is made out of cheese, I'm going to call you out on it every single time.
    Wow. That's pretty funny how you accuse me of being bigoted and closed minded, then go ahead and make a bigoted, closed minded and erroneous assumption of you own. :rofl:

Oh the irony! :rocker: