PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maddon is a better manager than Fran-coma:

Don't call yourself a chimp, but if the rest of the description is apt for you, well, things might get better for you one day if you apply yourself.

I'm pretty sure you don't know many sportswriters. There are a few who are quite knowledgeable in particular fields. There are beat reporters who travel with teams and are trusted and get a lot of inside information. Shaughnessy is neither. He's unprofessional at his job and away from it.

Well, the owners of the New York Times co. (perhaps, you've heard of it?) seem to feel otherwise. So your point is moot. Nice try, though.

Well, the owners of the New York Times co. (perhaps, you've heard of it?) seem to feel otherwise. So your point is moot. Nice try, though.

Yeah, the New York Times is renowned for its prominence in the field of sports journalism. :rofl:

Your fetish for false authority is amusing. Seems the only person whose judgment you don't hold in high esteem is Francona.

Hey, maybe Shaughnessy should be the next manager!

You got a head like a rock. ...

oh, pookie, did Mom not let you have dessert?

.... I'll bet you are a republican....

Says the fool who invoked New York Times Co. "ownership" in trying to defend a sportswriter who mails it in.

(btw, you know the times company is publicly held, right?)

in another year your going to wish tito was still here. there isnt anybody available [and madden isnt available] thats a better coach than tito.

"Hire Maddon!" he wailed from behind the door to his room...

I think the Redsox may have made a mistake in letting Francona go. I think he's a very good manager. One of the best, if not the best Sox manager of my lifetime. That being said, this situation reminds me alot of Joe Torre's final years with the Yankees. Sometimes when you're in a place for so long, some of the regulars tend to tune you out. When that happens, you can't fire half the team, so you fire the mananger. I think the more problematic aspect of all of this, is the overall direction the franchise is currently headed in. They are undoubtedly talented, but it might be paper, or individual talent, as opposed to team oriented. This team used to plug in young, hungry, talented players each and every year. I think this franchise took a step back in that regard with their most recent moves. They've opted for the best free agents, and trading for the most highly regarded talents, while maybe ignoring the substance of those players, and what they mean to a team. As a Yankees fan, this reminds me of the Yankees going out and signing the Jason Giambi's of the world, and trading for the Jeff Weaver, Javier Vazquez, Randy Johnson types. The big name, all star at every position teams didn't win any titles for the Yankees. The more balanced teams, with cagy veterans, a couple of all stars, some good role players, and some high end home grown talent did. I think it'll be interesting to see how this team performs next year, with a new manager, and some questions surrounding the make up of the overall franchise, from the players, to ownership, to the GM. They're still an immensely talented team regardless.

Last edited:
"Hire Maddon!" he wailed from behind the door to his room...

Every effin sportswriter in Boston sez he was fired, but you know better from your mom's basement? LOL.

O YOU MAD, BRO 2011 9-7.jpg

Every effin sportswriter in Boston sez he was fired, but you know better from your mom's basement? LOL...

Where did I say anything about whether he was fired?

Learn to read, pookie.

Last edited:
So all that is left to wonder IMO is did they really want to move on from Francona or did they merely want to redo his contract at a lower price. His contract at $4 million was rather huge for a MLB manager.

Shag is a tool, but he's also one of the top sportswriters in the country. So, I'd be slightly inclined to believe him over the opinion of some anonymous jagoff on a message board. Umm, yeah. ;)
Ah yes, the "appeal to authority" fallacy. Yes, we've seen that many times before.

Your problem is you seem not to realize that my statements aren't borne out of any personal research or conclusions I made solely on my own. They're the overwhelming consensus among other "top sportswriters", not to mention the statements of John Henry, Theo Epstein and Terry Francona themselves.

But hey, Shank Shaugnessey said it, so it must be true. :rolleyes:

he gave that horse CPR and then beat the **** out of it again. This is great theater

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back