PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Madden: "The hardest hit I've ever seen"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you guys expect him to chop his head off before he tackled him so he wouldn't hit him with his helmet?

What do think we are???? Animals? Jeeesch!!

(but um, yes, a bloody beheading would have been very entertaining!)

Must fully agree with you Workhorse absolutely great and legal hit. that was a text book form tackle at full speed. That is what is supposed to happen when a 300lb lineman hits a 200 lb RB

reidhelmetfs0.jpg

I really don't see how anyone can conclude that this is a text book form tackle. His head is down, and he's leading with it. That is spearing. That is a big no-no.

I didn't see anything from the side. However, between 0.00 ans 0.01 it looks like a devastating helmet on helmet. It looks like two bowling balls colliding.

Reid delivers a rising blow right underneath Henry's chin (look where his head is in panel 2 versus panel 3). He hits Henry's chin because Henry looks like he's trying to sit down in an invisible chair. If Henry were angled forward Reid would have speared him in the inside shoulder pad. If Henry were running upright he would have been speared square in the chest. I don't see how anyone could expect a 6' 2" tackle running full tilt to get any lower on a reclining 5' 11" halfback. No one told him there was going to be a limbo competition at the 25 yard line.

Luckily for Reid, in panel 4 his head follows through into a head up position. If his head would have been forced down, he would be in a hospital right now.

Should have been a 15 yard penalty and a fine. No disqualification or suspension.

watching that game last night confirmed that Colts D players lead with their helmets more than any other team that I've seen games from...and I ain't seen a lot of em all because I don't have that DirectTV superfan thing. but since their just little guys I guess they have to do something to keep competitive with the rest of the league

you're right,but for the wrong reason......

The Colts are the best tackling team I've seen in the last 10 years.

They're taught,very effectively I might add,to lead

with their helmet and tackle low.......undercutting
both the blocker and the runner.

I don't find this style dirty at all...as the tackler is
more diving at your ankles......rather than trying
to impact at the knees,which is far more dangerous.

They are well-taught and very disciplined and they disguise their "holds",very effectively,by always keeping their hands low and close to the body.

That being said....they're also the biggest "spearing" team in recent memory.

I'm not talking about the "launch" type spear,discussed in this thread,but the spearing of
ball carriers as they are going to the ground or on the ground.

I like to call this the "young" Rodney Harrison Spear....as it was his trademark....it's also,dirty.

Bob Sanders is the reigning King,now,of this kind of spear.His spear,while Randy Moss was on the
turf in the last Colt's game,was egregious and he
should have been ejected.

These upcoming playoff games are going to be a war....big-time,physical football.

........can't wait.

I've seen a ton of hard hits in my lifetime. One of the hardest was the one received by Bledsoe in 2001 ... that sound was heard around the stadium.

One of the hardest hits I remember is the one put on Reche Caldwell last year against the Bills. I can't remember the name of the Bills DB who hit him, but he blasted him and bent him backwards. If I remember correctly, Brady ran downfield to check on Caldwell's welfare. It was pretty brutal.

Below is what I consider the most important shot:

reidqa1.jpg

In the first panel, the green circle is Reid's helmet, the orange circle is the ball. You can see how in the second panel his helmet is right where he expected the ball to be. You can also see how, in the first panel, the runner (Henry) is squatting down and back in an effort to cushion the blow. That brings his head in line with Reid's shoulder pads.

In the second frame, I outlined Reid's body position in green, and what a form tackle would be in orange. If Reid had tackled properly, with his chest and face up, he would have hit Henry on top of the helmet, instead of low on the facemask.

Wow, we're getting all Oliver Stone here. "Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left..."

reidhelmetfs0.jpg

I really don't see how anyone can conclude that this is a text book form tackle. His head is down, and he's leading with it. That is spearing. That is a big no-no.

Reid delivers a rising blow right underneath Henry's chin (look where his head is in panel 2 versus panel 3). He hits Henry's chin because Henry looks like he's trying to sit down in an invisible chair. If Henry were angled forward Reid would have speared him in the inside shoulder pad. If Henry were running upright he would have been speared square in the chest. I don't see how anyone could expect a 6' 2" tackle running full tilt to get any lower on a reclining 5' 11" halfback. No one told him there was going to be a limbo competition at the 25 yard line.

Luckily for Reid, in panel 4 his head follows through into a head up position. If his head would have been forced down, he would be in a hospital right now.

Should have been a 15 yard penalty and a fine. No disqualification or suspension.

Hey bird brain football aint played on a game console its a real fast sport. His head is on top of his shoulders not up his ass like some readers on here of course he is gonna lead with it. you cant not lead with it, thats not what the term means. If you played you might know that. if you try to hit a guy with your shoulder he will glance off you. you square him up tuck your head into your pads and drive forward. watch it again his head is looking at his chest when he hits him thats perfect. you take one shot from a still photo and suddenly he is spearing. your an idiot and just proved that you never played the sport. run full speed at a guy over 30 yards and show me how in control of your body you are then criticize, till then just watch and let the more informed discuss :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back