PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Madden: "The hardest hit I've ever seen"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I defer to you on the football knowledge unoriginal since your play breakdowns were tremendous.

I still think it's both spearing and helmet to helmet based on that first angle which is clear as a bell if you can pause it at the right time.

EDIT: pause it at one second. Clear as a bell.

The way his head snaps back like he's been shot kind of gives it away.

Last edited:
Great hit, this is the NFL not figure skating.

Great hit, this is the NFL not figure skating.

Then take the rules off the books. But while they're on the books, call them.

And if football is so tough that dirty hits shouldn't be regulated, why wear pads at all?

Last edited:
Can we please ease up on the "EJECT THEM!" stuff? This is football, afterall.

This guy would like to have a word with you.
nm_everett_070911_ms.jpg

65823.jpg

Last edited:
Then take the rules off the books. But while they're on the books, call them.

And if football is so tough that dirty hits shouldn't be regulated, why wear pads at all?

You sound like a little girl (no offense), maybe they should all go for tea at half time and then knit each other mittens.

I didn't see a flag on the play. If the NFL fines him then so be it.

Football is a violent sport, kickoff returns have the most collisions. I like the hitting.

I defer to you on the football knowledge unoriginal since your play breakdowns were tremendous.

I still think it's both spearing and helmet to helmet based on that first angle which is clear as a bell if you can pause it at the right time.

EDIT: pause it at one second. Clear as a bell.
From what I could see Reid got his helmet as low as possible without further risking injury. The side angle shows his upper body is parallel to the ground when he mades contact. I imagine he was trying to get his helmet on the ball.

What Reid did not do was keep his facemask up and his eyes on the ball. The runner at the end tried to slip back inside the tackle and cushion the blow. Thereby Reid, because he was tackling fast and blind, ended with his helmet higher and farther inside then what he was aiming for. It looked to me like initial contact was made on the chin / lower facemask / top of brestplate.

IMO that is not head-hunting, but it is a spear. I don't mean that it sould be taken lightly. If I was on the Colts training staff I would go nuts.

Just so Colts fans don't think I'm biased, I sort of think the same thing when Welker does one of his ostrich-head-down moves when he tries to pick up first downs. Someone puts a shoulder pad across the back of his neck and at the very least its a bad stinger.

Below is what I consider the most important shot:

reidqa1.jpg

In the first panel, the green circle is Reid's helmet, the orange circle is the ball. You can see how in the second panel his helmet is right where he expected the ball to be. You can also see how, in the first panel, the runner (Henry) is squatting down and back in an effort to cushion the blow. That brings his head in line with Reid's shoulder pads.

In the second frame, I outlined Reid's body position in green, and what a form tackle would be in orange. If Reid had tackled properly, with his chest and face up, he would have hit Henry on top of the helmet, instead of low on the facemask.

He hit him in the chest first, then he slid up him.

If a Patriot's player had made that hit you would be talking about how he blew him up and not saying he should have been ejected.

That was helmet to helmet which is illegal, and he also led with his helmet which is again, illegal.

None of us are supposed to be happy about seeing a guy get speared (helmet first) like that, and the NFL should fine the offender.

Definitely helmet to helmet, definitely left his feet as he hit Henry, definitely raised his head as he hit him in the helmet. I'd call it dirty as ****, and much more worthy of a fine than what Wilfork did, imo. One could paralyze a player, the other was a stupid decision that--at worst--could have scraped Jacobs' eye.

Unfortunately, we all know that one will (and I believe has) result in a fine (and I'll readily admit it DID deserve a fine) while the other will not. Pretty crappy...and this isn't a Pats-Colts thing, this is a 'safety of the game' thing. Yea, football is a brutal sport played by men who know the dangers of what they're doing. But a hit like that is unwarranted and there's a reason concussions have become so prevalent in the NFL.

Last edited:
Why are you here? REALLY looking forward to seeing your annoying, obnoxious team ousted from the playoffs. The Colts are like a sour fart in a crowded elevator.

Here's to that......:eat3:

I've made my peace with Manning, Harrison and Wayne. Truly great players, every one. But I still hate Dallas Clark and his white boy dribble between the legs, this isn't basketball, but I'll make it basketball, TD celebrations. In another life he's Brad Muster with slightly more speed.

Last edited:
You sound like a little girl (no offense), maybe they should all go for tea at half time and then knit each other mittens.

Oh, shut your hole, Chuck Norris. I was military, so football hits don't really hurt my feelings. "I like the hitting. Fear my macho." Then you shouldn't want them to wear any pads. Rugby players don't. I like the hitting, too, but I don't enjoy guys getting hurt. Unless it's Ray Lewis.

You love the helmet-to-helmet stuff, but I bet you complain every time Moss gets his jersey pulled or his arm pinned and there's no flag.

Oh, shut your hole, Chuck Norris. I was military, so football hits don't really hurt my feelings. "I like the hitting. Fear my macho." Then you shouldn't want them to wear any pads. Rugby players don't. I like the hitting, too, but I don't enjoy guys getting hurt. Unless it's Ray Lewis.

You love the helmet-to-helmet stuff, but I bet you complain every time Moss gets his jersey pulled or his arm pinned and there's no flag.

Thats more like it! Now we are getting somewhere, my original point was big hits are part of the game. I liked the hit, I like MMA and a bunch of other stuff that I suppose I shouldn't, maybe it makes me a bad person but at least I am honest.

Below is what I consider the most important shot:

reidqa1.jpg

In the first panel, the green circle is Reid's helmet, the orange circle is the ball. You can see how in the second panel his helmet is right where he expected the ball to be. You can also see how, in the first panel, the runner (Henry) is squatting down and back in an effort to cushion the blow. That brings his head in line with Reid's shoulder pads.

In the second frame, I outlined Reid's body position in green, and what a form tackle would be in orange. If Reid had tackled properly, with his chest and face up, he would have hit Henry on top of the helmet, instead of low on the facemask.

I didn't see anything from the side. However, between 0.00 ans 0.01 it looks like a devastating helmet on helmet. It looks like two bowling balls colliding.

watching that game last night confirmed that Colts D players lead with their helmets more than any other team that I've seen games from...and I ain't seen a lot of em all because I don't have that DirectTV superfan thing. but since their just little guys I guess they have to do something to keep competitive with the rest of the league

I have to agree with you. And the part that bothers me the most is when a player knows he's going to take a big hit and voluntarily goes to the ground to prevent a turnover, or worse, injury, here comes a Colt player, diving head first into the player. Sometimes there is more than one of them doing it. I guess the only silver lining I take from seeing them doing this is knowing that they are going to eventually injure themselves in the process.

He hit him in the chest first, then he slid up him.

If a Patriot's player had made that hit you would be talking about how he blew him up and not saying he should have been ejected.

Must fully agree with you Workhorse absolutely great and legal hit. that was a text book form tackle at full speed. That is what is supposed to happen when a 300lb lineman hits a 200 lb RB

Must fully agree with you Workhorse absolutely great and legal hit. that was a text book form tackle at full speed. That is what is supposed to happen when a 300lb lineman hits a 200 lb RB
Form tackles make contact with the front of the shoulder pads first, not the crown of the helmet. At least that's the way it was explained to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back