Welcome to PatsFans.com

Madden or ESPN

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by CheerforTom, Apr 8, 2006.

1. CheerforTom

CheerforTom Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This is an old debate, but it's one that I've just joined. I'm a veteran of Madden, but I've been hearing more and more that ESPN '05 was better in the long run, so I recently picked that up for 7 bucks.

Anybody have an opinion on which is better/why?
  2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

re

I used to play every Madden ever made, but tried ESPN when it came out and loved it. The game play is superior, franchise mode is ridiculously detailed and full, and I thought they did a great job incorporating all aspects of the game experience together.

It's too bad EA realized their product was inferior, and instead of improving Madden, decided to negotiate exclusive rights from the NFL as the sole video game producer. That's why ESPN '06 never came out.

3. Alk

Alk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I can't stand either game anymore. Madden has been on a downward spiral for about 5 years now. ESPN's gameplay was just plain atrocious. It would take a lot for me to ever buy another football video game.
  4. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +59 / 2 / -0

I prefer ESPN.

There's a glitch in Madden that makes you go for the tie, rather than the win in the Super Bowl once you have less than 2 minutes left.
  5. BruschiOnTap

BruschiOnTap Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

ESPN was waayyyyy better than Madden when it came out. SEGA sports has always been innovative with their football games. SportsTalk Football introduced announcers, NFL '94 w/ Joe Montana started the vertical field and also multiple seasons, then the 2K series came out with insane little details in graphics and also first person mode.

Madden makes maybe one improvement a year (and adds a glitch) and always uses the same engine and crappy interface. For instance, on 06 your punt return team doesn't throw blocks, they watch your returner stand there and catch the ball, allowing a gang of defenders to clean your clock. You ALWAYS have to fair catch.

I do play Madden now that 2K is no longer being made though :( Madden also has the rights to all ESPN logos and stuff, but they still aren't putting them to use in their games. Very disappointing.
  6. PatsSaintsSox

PatsSaintsSox Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I love madden

...i only played ESPN once and got smoked...