Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mac or PC

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by fleabassist1, Sep 11, 2006.

?

Mac or PC?

1. Mac

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. PC

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The ancient battle - but which do pats fans use more!?
  2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

Even though I use to be a Mac purist, my main machine even at home now is a PC. But I voted Mac, because I wanted to be the cool guy in the t-shirt in the commercial that gets to boff the Japanese Camera girl, not the pudgy guy with the glasses that can't get out of his box.
  3. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +193 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

I use a PC. I've had a couple of Macs in my time, found them really unreliable and hated the lack of documentation, also the self-congratulation that runs through the "Mac community". Not that PCs are all that great -- but no one is a PC missionary, thank goodness.
  4. Krugman

Krugman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Pc.Never owned a Mac.Always thought they were overpriced.Also
    found it somewhat annoying that Macs were supposedly used by a "different" group of people who were somehow on a higher plane......never quite understood that!
  5. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Wow some funny stuff being posted here. I am writing this on an Apple Powerbook. It's my 6th Mac since 1987. I worked for PCConnection for a while selling PCs, servers and all that good stuff to IT departments in corporate America. And that's where those PCs belong. Now if you are buying a computer solely to buy EVERY game that comes down the pike get a PC. If you are happy playing the vast majority of popular games then you can still get a Mac. And OS X is hands down the best OS out there. It has protected memory and better memory management than Windows. I have never had a system lock up crash since OS X's inception in 2001. It doesn't have viruses or spyware. Windows fanboys will be quick to say it's because they write for the more popular platform (WIndows) but, that's not the reason. Any virus written for OS X would require the OS X user to open it and enter an admin password. That's not going to happen. I use a non-adminstrative account on a daily basis. That isn't possible in Windows because many things (even games) require admin or even root level access. If you want to install something on the Mac you drag it to the hard drive. Want to delete it? Just drag it to the trash. No uninstaller needed. No shared .dll files like Windows. Macs start as low $599. The new MacPro with Intel Xeon (Woodcrest) processors is $700 less than the same set up from Dell. So the it's too expensive thing is a thing of the past. It was always a misnomer anyway. When you looked at the Total Cost of Operation the Mac always came up less expensive in the long run. I know many people that have PCs with Windows (including family) and plenty of people who use Macs with OS X and the biggest difference between them is the Mac users actually use their computers. And use them everyday.
  6. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well said. I to said mac, because when I had a PC... it crashed. I lost everything.

So I got a mac for christmas from my rich granfather (yay :p) and I instantly fell in love with it. I worked over that summer, and paid my mom (who had some sort of a discount because she worked at discovery channel at the time) to get me what I have now... my G4. I am currently saving up for a new computer that can handle my concentration - Graphic Design.
    IMO, PC's are greatly lacking in the graphics design department. The only reason I would ever own a PC is because of gaming, but even that is no good anymore, considering Macs can now run windows os... but who needs it? The new Jaguar... oooo looks sweet.

How about the really cool features on IChat, eh? :)
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

The new Imac with the Intel memron core looks like a nice machine, runs very quiet, goo display no clutter. With boot camp you can run windows apps in addition to the native mac stuff. I am currently running a pc (I have apps that are windows only) but my next machine will be a mac.
  8. CTPatsFan

CTPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I've always used PC's at work and at home, of all different makes, and have never really had any luck with any of them. Always ending getting bogged down, freezing up, error messages, etc. Yet I continue to buy them...hmm...don't know what that says about me. The best PC I've had so far is at work with the one that was built by the company that also built our UNIX mainframe.

I've often considered and threatened (my wife is the main user at home and always has had PC's) to buy a Mac but have always been leery of making the jump. I am going to buy a new laptop withing the next couple of months and am seriously considering a Mac product.
  9. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Go for it.
    Apple.com offers extensive free tutorials on makeing the jump from PC to Mac... and explains all the different things.
    Also, Mac help is very easy to navigate, and very user friendly.

Mac's may be more expensive, but they are definitly worth it... plus, no virus' or spyware to worry about - not yet anyways. Mac's are definitly one step ahead of the PC industry, IMO...

Oh, and the new program coming with Jaguar, the TimeTravel... my roomate said he had something like that on PC... that it comes stock with Windows... I didn't know that, is that true?