PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac and Sudsy Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Sean Smith at 47 and Connor Barwin at 58, though I doubt Smith will last that long. Maybin at 23 could be a good pick depending on how he looks at the combine and pro days, though he is high risk/reward. Overall though, a nice draft for the Pats.

This mockery was done by a lad who hasn't done his homework yet.

This mockery was done by a lad who hasn't done his homework yet.

It is their first one I hope it gets better;)

I laughed at the comment on BJ Raja going to the Raiders

Not as bad as some of have seen out there but loved who they gave us.

It is their first one I hope it gets better;)

I laughed at the comment on BJ Raja going to the Raiders

Not as bad as some of have seen out there but loved who they gave us.
I was unimpressed with their choices for NE.

Maybin - he's coming out while his stock is at it's highest, but he could have used another season to develop physically and mentally. I just don't see him as a 1st round value on NE's board - especially after reading a report that Maybin is working on trying to gain enough weight to continue as a 4-3 DE.

Sean Smith - seems fair value here if you want a FS, and probably about where his measurables will have him going, I'm just not feeling the lust for him that some have.

Connor Barwin - I could agree whole-heartedly with this pick, "if" Maybin hadn't already been drafted in round one. NE has four young OLB types on the roster, a fifth is an RFA, and Guyton (who needs to develop like the rest of the youngsters, but can play OLB too). If Maybin is NE's choice in the 1st, they are really unlikely to be using another Day One pick on yet another OLB project, and Barwin isn't a good enough TE for round 2.

I was unimpressed with their choices for NE.

Maybin - he's coming out while his stock is at it's highest, but he could have used another season to develop physically and mentally. I just don't see him as a 1st round value on NE's board - especially after reading a report that Maybin is working on trying to gain enough weight to continue as a 4-3 DE.

Sean Smith - seems fair value here if you want a FS, and probably about where his measurables will have him going, I'm just not feeling the lust for him that some have.

Connor Barwin - I could agree whole-heartedly with this pick, "if" Maybin hadn't already been drafted in round one. NE has four young OLB types on the roster, a fifth is an RFA, and Guyton (who needs to develop like the rest of the youngsters, but can play OLB too). If Maybin is NE's choice in the 1st, they are really unlikely to be using another Day One pick on yet another OLB project, and Barwin isn't a good enough TE for round 2.

Personally I like Clint Sintim going first in the second round and I love his ability to play a outside or inside in the 3-4. Who would you rather take out of Sintim or Maybin. Sintim has experience in the 3-4 system and do you think he can move to SILB??

Maybin is young with a ton of potential but if he is going to put on weight to play DE in a 4-3 then totally agree not right for us. Personally I would have gone safety with Will Moore who went (#25) then target Barwin in the late second.

Jacksonville targeted two young pass rushers in their last draft with Harvey and Groves but they were thin at DE and that did not get them far this year.

Smith I just like as a pick where he can play corner and safety at a high level.

BOR,

Just read the thread about he Senior bowl....and it answered the question about your views on moving Sintim inside no need to repeat youself:).

Personally I like Clint Sintim going first in the second round and I love his ability to play a outside or inside in the 3-4. Who would you rather take out of Sintim or Maybin. Sintim has experience in the 3-4 system and do you think he can move to SILB??

Maybin is young with a ton of potential but if he is going to put on weight to play DE in a 4-3 then totally agree not right for us. Personally I would have gone safety with Will Moore who went (#25) then target Barwin in the late second.

Jacksonville targeted two young pass rushers in their last draft with Harvey and Groves but they were thin at DE and that did not get them far this year.

Smith I just like as a pick where he can play corner and safety at a high level.

Personally I think Sintim has a very limited ceiling and wouldn't consider him in the 1st round. I know Maybin has some growing to do, but I actually think he could end up being the real deal at OLB. If Crable puts on some muscle, they could be quite a pair in a few years.

BOR, have you given up on the idea of Barwin potentially playing SILB? I know you think Sintim could play inside. I like the idea of Barwin moving inside, and providing some situational pass rush at OLB as well. What about Clay Matthews? Do you see him playing OLB or SILB in our system? Personally I prefer Matthews to Sintim. Again, I have nothing against Sintim, but I think he will be solid though unspectacular.

Personally I think Sintim has a very limited ceiling and wouldn't consider him in the 1st round. I know Maybin has some growing to do, but I actually think he could end up being the real deal at OLB. If Crable puts on some muscle, they could be quite a pair in a few years.

BOR, have you given up on the idea of Barwin potentially playing SILB? I know you think Sintim could play inside. I like the idea of Barwin moving inside, and providing some situational pass rush at OLB as well. What about Clay Matthews? Do you see him playing OLB or SILB in our system? Personally I prefer Matthews to Sintim. Again, I have nothing against Sintim, but I think he will be solid though unspectacular.

Mathews is interesting and I have only seen him a few times so I have some homework to do tonight. I loved this uncle and father as players and if we get half of what the Mathew's gave then we would come out on top. Sr. played like 20 years in the league and averaged 80 tackles over 20 years. I still remember his 40 y/o butt running an interception back....about as fast as his 300 lbs brother would have :D:D

I am just thinking at this point that someone will reach on this kid before BB would pull the trigger. I like Sintim because of his experience in a 3-4 but admit does not have the upside as Maybin. I am not sure of the 4-3 ends translate well into many 3-4 in the NFL but our 3-4 we move to the 4 linemen set so that does translate to some extent (Vrabel).

Last year alot of people were talking about moving Chris Long to and OLB in a 3-4 and he had all the stats to do so. The only problem is he is a hand in the ground D-lineman as he played a 5 tech at Virginia and is good at it. Golston :D:D:D Jets:D:D:D He is a 4-3 end and Man Genius (using the term loosely) tried to convert him and it was simply a disaster. Chris Long was used properly and had a good rookie season as a 4-3 end. It was watching Chris Long last year at Virginia that I noticed Sintim.

I find Sintim very flexible and I believe would be able to play behind and learn from AD as both and edge rusher and SILB. Crable intrigues me a lot and I am very interested to see how he turns out this season.

Last edited:
Mathews is interesting and I have only seen him a few times so I have some homework to do tonight. I loved this uncle and father as players and if we get half of what the Mathew's gave then we would come out on top. Sr. played like 20 years in the league and averaged 80 tackles over 20 years. I still remember his 40 y/o butt running an interception back....about as fast as his 300 lbs brother would have :D:D

I am just thinking at this point that someone will reach on this kid before BB would pull the trigger. I like Sintim because of his experience in a 3-4 but admit does not have the upside as Maybin. I am not sure of the 4-3 ends translate well into many 3-4 in the NFL but our 3-4 we move to the 4 linemen set so that does translate to some extent (Vrabel).

Last year alot of people were talking about moving Chris Long to and OLB in a 3-4 and he had all the stats to do so. The only problem is he is a hand in the ground D-lineman as he played a 5 tech at Virginia and is good at it. Golston :D:D:D Jets:D:D:D He is a 4-3 end and Man Genius (using the term loosely) tried to convert him and it was simply a disaster. Chris Long was used properly and had a good rookie season as a 4-3 end. It was watching Chris Long last year at Virginia that I noticed Sintim.

I find Sintim very flexible and I believe would be able to play behind and learn from AD as both and edge rusher and SILB. Crable intrigues me a lot and I am very interested to see how he turns out this season.

Thanks for the input and instruction.

It's easy to forget, but this time last year (and right up to the draft) a lot of people on this and other boards were wetting themselves with the thought of getting Gholston at #7. I was personally never that high on him, mainly because he seemed overly bulky and stiff, and seemed to disappear for long stretches. I suspect that he could be an excellent 4-3 DE, but I just didn't see his game fitting 3-4 OLB that well. I had better hopes for Long, but that would have been an awfully expensive conversion project.

Again, I'm not against Sintim. I think he's a solid player. I just don't think he's a first round caliber pick, and I think other players have more athleticism and upside. But he clearly has experience and versatility, and may be lower risk than many others.

I never did consider Barwin for ILB, that was your delusion. ;)

Sure Sintim isn't the smoothest LB prospect, but he's used to playing on his feet and has played in space. He can play downhill just fine with 245 TT in a four year career at Virginia, he can generate some pass rush, he has the size needed at 6'2 1/2" 249, and he has 33" arms which compares well with top interior OL in this draft class:
Mack 33 1/4"
Unger 32 1/2"
Urbik 33 1/2"
Canfield 31"
Caldwell 33 3/4"
Luigs 31 3/4"

Matthews is an OLB for the forseeable future.

I think Maybin, Barwin, Smith are all names that have been mentioned here and the positions of need addressed are correct. What do these 3 guys have in common? High upside. I'm not a fortune teller so I wouldn't be able to say if they would all turn out good, but you're getting 3 lottery tickets here that if you hit on 2 of them, that gives you a heck of a draft. I sense that some people prefer the lower upside guys that have a better chance to be solid, ie Sintim.

I think the Pats should go for the fences at least once or twice since they have so many picks. And I'd like them to fare better with their 2nd day picks. They havent done so well on day 2 in recent year.s

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes