Welcome to PatsFans.com

MA tax revenue up by 14% in September

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by apple strudel, Oct 4, 2010.

1. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

And it's not just the students driving things. If this keeps up, Baker is going to have a hard time of things.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/10/state_sees_dram.html?p1=News_links

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +494 / 8 / -4

#75 Jersey

Why would it make it harder for Baker to have more money in his budget?

:p

3. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Heh, good one.

4. Amazon4

Amazon4 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

aren't we paying a higher sales tax from last year? How does that factor in?

5. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Personally, I wonder how the federal stimulus has affected this number. I mean, have you seen how many roads are being worked on lately?

Stimulus jobs don't count because they're not sustainable.

7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Its not. Its actually the other way around. When the economy is doing well more people are paying taxes.

All you doomsayers better hurry up and finish your doom saying. This recession is coming to an end, people aren't going to be listening much anymore.

8. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'll be very glad when the recession is over; Obama's policies have stalled the recovery for long enough.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

There's much more to the figures than meets the eye. First of all, the state is collecting some of the taxes by way of increases, or newly created confiscations. Second, 2009 was the lowest receipt level in recent memory, which would mean a lateral move economically, with the increased taxes, would mean a sizable increase in collections. Added to that, is the infusion of stimulus money into the bay state, which would add temporary, but artificial economic activity, and thus added tax revenue. While the revenue level is above 2009, it's still lower than 2008. 2009 was a record for lost tax revenue.

10. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yes, Deval raised it 25%. Along with the state’s alcohol, satellite television, meals, and hotel taxes. Driving more people to NH. Especially for big ticket items. And less people coming to MA from RI since our sales tax is only 0.75% behind theirs now. However people who do not live close to NH are forced to pay it. Hurting lower income families the most. Also:

“You want property tax relief? Come and get it! Come and get it,’’ he declared during the March 2007 rally at Boston Latin School. “You want it? Come and get it!’’ But they never got it. Instead, property taxes have continued to rise in the 3 1/2 years since Patrick took office

The tax on a pack of cigarettes will jump under a bill signed into law by Gov. Deval Patrick. Massachusetts has one of the highest cigarette taxes in the country - $2.51 on every pack.

Not to mention the already high taxes we pay on other items such as excise tax etc. Look at the registration fee for your car when you renew it. Mine went from $35 2 years ago to $55 this year. And if Deval is reelected nothing will stop him from fulfilling his liberal dreams of even more high taxes.

BOSTON — Massachusetts would have the nation’s highest gasoline tax under a plan that Gov. Deval Patrick

No wonder Ted Kennedy probated Rose's estate in Florida and Kerry "forgot" to pay the tax on his multi-million dollar yacht. Who can afford Massachusetts?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh my property taxes went down alright... along with my home value... watch him try to claim that one.

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

I hope and pray things get better soon, but from all that I'm reading, hearing, seeing, and discussing with people in the know, things are far from getting better. Word is that there will be another trillion dollar TARP needed, at some point next year, that municipal bonds are in serious trouble, and that there could be a massive sell off stocks and assorted assets in December, if the tax cuts are left to expire. I hope that's all wrong, cuz I'm still sitting on empty commercial space.