Welcome to PatsFans.com

MA senate vote on Gov appointment

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by tanked_as_usual, Sep 22, 2009.

1. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

of interim senate

the same group voted against the same exact notion when romney was gov.

forget the D vs. R thing for a moment

do you want government to work this way?

and will they repeal it when an R get elected?

2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The alternatives are Kennedy stepping down before his last election victory or him just not dying. If he steps down he's replaced by a Democrat. If he just keeps on living he continues to be a Democrat. The special election this January will seat a Democrat. B!tch all you want about losing the free 'non-vote' you thought fell in your lap when he died, but the reality is that the Constitution says that the state of Massachusetts is entitled to two voices in the Senate, the people of Massachusetts want Democrats providing those voices and this will give them that.

3. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

that's not what I asked.........

is it right for an elected body to vote on a topic based on who is gov?

if it this 'amendment' was voted down before, why is it right now?

talk about fixing things

and don't be suprised if an R get elected in January

4. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +289 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Have you guys been paying attention??

How many times has this body ignored the will of the people of Massachusetts?? How many ballot passed iniatives have they reversed? They hhave the majority, and they know they are going to keep the majority, so the just do whatever they want, and the blame for all of this lies directly with the stupid people of Massachusetts who continue to elect these clowns.

5. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'd put the average Mass person up against someone from Georgia in an intelligence test any day of the week Teddy. I have an iniative [sic] Let's hhave[sic] it be based on spelling!

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +540 / 6 / -2

It's BS, but hey, we got a museum somewhere, Revere Beach, and we're waaaaaaay up there on that Health Index. :rolleyes:

7. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +102 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

I agree with you, and now because of how freaking dumb these m*******s are, they move to other states like New Hampshire and Maine and because of these idiots these states, who were once bastions of tax freedom and individuality, now more closely resemble Massachusetts. SUCKS!

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 11 / -28

It speaks to the arrogance of the Democratic Party.. another vote for the Health Care Bill..

9. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +289 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Well all of my schooling came from Mass so if you don't like my spelling it is Mass' fault.

Typical mass attitude, the most racist place in this country, always claiming to be smarter and better than everyone else! So you re-elected people who routinely ignore the will of the people (notice how you didn't try to argue that piont, only spelling, and of course adding in your unfounded bias towards the South) and your smarter than everyone else...

ps Georiga has about twice the electoral votes as Mass (and we will get at least a one, and hoepfully, 2 more from you after the next census!!!!)

10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Now you know where the term "Masswholes" originates. ;)

//

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +540 / 6 / -2

I'm not sure about it being the most racist, but the other points, especially the one about the Mass attitude, are dead on. It's illustrated in the attitude of the politicians discussed in this thread. The pols view Sdaniels and Co., just like Sdaniels views people from other states. He thinks he's smahtah than everyone else, while the pols think they're smahtah than him. Of course, so long as it's a democrat, sdanny boy doesn't care.

12. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

this isn't even about the will of the people

I am just glad that my guy (Brian Joyce - Milton) voted consistently and said 'I voted no then, and voted no now'

all those who changed their vote because of who is the governor now should be ashamed of themselves.....case closed

13. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Hey geniuses, the entire point of vacancy appointments is to preserve the seat in the best interests of the voters without wasting time with a special election. To say "forget the D and R thing" when talking about this is like saying "forget healthcare for a minute while we talk about health reform."

Romney's appointment would not have been in line with the voters of the state, so the legislature prevented him from appointing. Deval Patrick's appointment would be more in line with the voters of the state since both he and almost the entire legislature is Democratic! If you want to have a special election every time then make that argument and do away with vacancy appointments all together, but as long as we vest the power in the legislature to make vacancy appointments then they most certainly have an OBLIGATION to make sure that the appointment is most in line with what the voters want. A Republican governor appoitning a Republican to fill a vacant Democrat's seat does not satisfy that obligation.

Turn on your brains and turn off your radios.

14. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

again, it is not for the legislature to make votes like this conditional

and I can say that its not a D or R thing because it would be wrong regardless of who is perpetrating this

to me this is more about the corruption of our state government. it was the will of the people to lower the state income tax in a 'binding referendum' a few years back and the state legislature refused to implement it, so don't give me this crap the will of the people. our state government doesn't give a crap about the will of the people

I believe this sort of thing will turn around and bite anyone who changed their vote

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  15. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Says who? They have the power to do it for a reason. If they are going to make vacancy appointments at all they should make them in a manner that closest conforms to the wishes of the voters. Since Mass is Democratic, has a Dem governor and a Dem legislator, then of course it's going to be conditional and well it should. That's the entire reason why they have the power to do this.

BS. Either we allow vacancy appoitnments in total or not at all, but if we allow them then they should be made EXACTLY as the legislature has made them and that is in accordance with how the voters would likely vote accordsing to the makeup of who they have previously elected. The only reason why this is an issue is because Republicans wanted to sneak in a Republican into a Dem seat against the will of the people and the Dem legislature they elected.

Sorry, but you are simply wrong. The legislature has this power vested in them because their makeup most accurately represents the voters of Massachusetts. Unfortunately for you, that makjeup happens to be Democratic. For a Democratic governor of Texas to appointment a Dem senator to fill a deceased or otherwise vacant Republican seat is about as undemocratic as you can get and I'd fully support the Texas legislature from excersising their power to change the procedure to more accurately reflect the will of the people in the abscence of a special election. That's why it has everything to do with D and R.

Again, turn off your radios, these peopel are riling you up and have no clue what they are talking about. As I said in the earlier thread, where my arguments were conveniently ignored by some posting now in this thread, either we allow vacancy appointments or we do away with them totally. But as long as we allow them, it is in the best interest of the voters to allow the legislature to act according to their makeup since that closest resembles the will of the people. The talk radio garbage about "hypocrisy" and changes in laws is praying on ignorance and a misunderstanding of the purpose of vacancy appiointments and is an alltogether untenable position.

When the Dems "changed the law" they weren't writing a comprehensive perscription for how to fill seats, they were accomodating the majority of voters in Massachusetts who do not want a Republican Senator (as evidenced by the Dem majority in the Legislature) and that is exactly what they are doing now when they changed it again.

16. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +289 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Hey Genius, who elected Romney?????? THE ENTIRE STATE, who elects the legislature? gerrymandered hand pick democrat drawn maps.

You honestly are not saying that when the state had a Republican Governor (for what 10+ years in a row) he did not represent the views of the people, and now that they have a Democrat Governor with an approval right slightly north of what 20% without a chance in hell of getting re-elected, that it is the will of the people to have him appoint the Senator...

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +540 / 6 / -2

It's kinda sad how brain damaged some people in this state are. I guess when the legislature walks in lock step with all that you believe politically, and socially, it's real swell when they decide to change the rules as they move along. Hey, this state gets what it deserves. There's a reason why the most important demographic in the state is moving out, and only illegals are moving in.

18. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ahh, so personal responsibility only applies to welfare recipients.

Dude, there's like 3 Mosques within 4 miles of my house. Busing was 40 years ago and the anger was all centered in one section of Boston called Southie that's long since moved on to a better and brighter future. Besides its not like it took a war or something to fix the problem.

You're the one who's opening post in the thread called me and everyone else from Massachusetts stupid there Tedo. Its right here in post #4 in case you forgot. I just thought it was cute of you to mock other peoples' intelligence in a post where you made multiple, simple spelling mistakes.

Since 1920 there's been 58 ballot initiatives that have passed in Massachusetts. So far I've come across one that's been 'overturned' by the legislature, that being the seat belt law. Woopty doo. Now when you get pulled over for something else (the cops aren't allowed to stop you just for no seat belt) they can fine you an extra $25. This compared to $100 for an old inspection sticker or an average of $300 for speeding. They can't even gig you insurance wise for no seatbelt, its the most minor offense out there, even less punitive than littering or spitting on the sidewalk. Sure if you want to be uncompromising you can say the legislature ignored the will of the people, but the law does mean more federal highway funds and some sort of improved insurance bond rating. Its a clear example of people in the know doing what was best rather than what was popular IMO.

Which you'll undoubtedly use to try and put the next George Bush into office. I don't see why you'd be proud of that.

19. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Of course this thread can't be about the will of the people. The will of the people is for there to be a Democrat in the currently vacant seat and you want to figure out some convoluted, non democratic way to get a Republican in there.

20. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So let me get this straight, Teddy pops in for the first time in weeks and the first thing he does is call me (and you too BTW) stupid, yet I'm the guy who thinks he smarter than everyone else?

Yeah, whatever you say:rolleyes:

have another Coke there Mr Coke'n Pepsi.