Welcome to PatsFans.com

MA HC Costs Soar

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Leave No Doubt, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +887 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

The best way to control cost is competition. If the government really wanted lower cost healthcare then they would provide it themselves at a lower cost. That would drive prices down across the board as competition always does.

Oh wait ... I forgot ... the government already does provide healthcare ... and they have failed ... miserably failed and they will fail again.
  3. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

MA's hc model should be an eye-opener, but of course it's apparently not. When it first started people thought it was great (of course the economy was different too then, along with many other things) but the proof is in the pudding. This state's broke and much of that's attributed to it's hc system which reportedly has now actually become too expensive even for it's own recipients to afford. And taxpayers can no longer afford to keep shelling out for the free system either, probably because more and more people qualify for it.

So instead of taking a long, hard look at where and how MA failed and coming up with a healthcare system that will avoid those pitfalls, the govt just stays right in the fast lane of Highway Epic Fail. :rolleyes:
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +437 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Real health insurance reform would equal real competition. I get 12 or so options but they're all pretty much the same - too much coverage, not enough options for only catastrophic issues; and most of them don't have preferred providers where I live so they aren't even an option. As has been said before, we need some form of reform but obamacare isn't it. You know, for a guy with such big ears you'd think he would listen better.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +435 / 5 / -2

One word, GROSS.

MA should be example #1, of how gimmick policies don't work. You need to deal with the root issues of a problem, in order to correct it. Pouring perfume on a pig, doesn't do didly long term. In most cases it makes things worse. MA reform, and Obamacare, do NOTHING to deal with the actual cost of care. Could you imagine MA's program on a national scale? GROSS.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +548 / 2 / -9

Prince Jug Ears Obama, Uncle Teddy, Pelosi Gang want Obamacare so thats good enough for the loons, if Jug Ears told them all to kill themselves they'd be out jumping in front of buses and diving out windows this afternoon.

GOD DAMN AMERICA (presidents preacher)

:bricks:
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -13

Insurance premiums are rising rapidly, Insurance company profits are ~3.5%, politicans blame the insurance companies.....
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

We have to be very careful about using percent as the be all and end all of corp. profiteering. 3.5% of TRILLIONS is a lot of money no matter how you slice it.

Total profit is a much better way to assess how much money a corp. makes. So let's start using those figures. Suffice to say they're not hurting.

We also need to all admit that it's not ok for them to continue to dramatically raise premiums on a product that is life and death. We're not discussing widgets here or a product where Americans actually have a choice.

This issue leads us to an even broader and more important discussion. And that is the disappearance of America's middle class. My parents were what was once called "the poor middle-class". My father made significantly less than the average household income. Yet we were able to buy our own house (which they still live in) and the 6 of us lived in a tiny cape in Weymouth, MA with one bathroom.

Today, I make twice the average household income and can barely afford to buy that same house my parents have now paid off! Think about that fellow members. And think about why this has happened! We have been squeezed by the very policies we often rally to support! So don't be a minion and run to say no to everything the other party proposes. What is good for Corp. America is often the very thing that is killing our middle class. People like us!
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010