Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ma Ballot Question 3: Medical Use of Marijuana

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +916 / 7 / -3

Needless to say I think this is the question that will garner the most interest. On the surface, I'm a yes vote. I voted to decriminalize pot the last time around, and hope to someday see it be made legal. If not for reasons of liberty, then for the reasons of wasted dollars on policing pot, from cops to courtrooms, as well as all the lost money that would be made by bringing the product off the black market. Anyhow, thoughts?

WHAT YOUR VOTE WILL DO

A YES VOTE would enact the proposed law eliminating state criminal and civil penalties related to the medical use of marijuana, allowing patients meeting certain conditions to obtain marijuana produced and distributed by new state-regulated centers or, in specific hardship cases, to grow marijuana for their own use.

A NO VOTE would make no change in existing laws.

Full text is here:

Elections: 2012 Information For Voters

Arguments are below:

ARGUMENTS

As provided by law, the 150-word arguments are written by proponents and opponents of each question, and reflect their opinions. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts does not endorse these arguments, and does not certify the truth or accuracy of any statement made in these arguments. The names of the individuals and organizations who wrote each argument, and any written comments by others about each argument, are on file in the Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.

IN FAVOR: A YES vote will ease the suffering of thousands of people with cancer, Parkinson’s disease, Crohn’s disease, multiple sclerosis, HIV/AIDS, glaucoma, and other debilitating conditions. Scientific research has proven that marijuana can be useful for many clinical applications, including pain relief, nausea, and seizures.

Provisions of the proposed law requiring strict regulation by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, written physician approval, a limited number of non-profit treatment centers, and criminal penalties for fraud will help ensure only appropriate medical use of marijuana.

This proposal has been endorsed by many patients, their families, medical professionals, and law enforcement officials who believe that a smart, science-based approach can help suffering patients without encouraging inappropriate drug use. In fact, allowing the medical use of marijuana will lessen the need for dangerous narcotics like morphine and OxyContin.

On behalf of thousands of patients, we ask for your support.

Authored by:
    Linda Brantley, President
    New England Coalition for Cancer Survivorship
    Committee for Compassionate Medicine
    P.O. Box 5715
    Boston, MA 02114
    617-520-4559
    www.compassionforpatients.com

AGAINST: We all have compassion for those in pain, but the loopholes for corruption and exploitation are enormous. If enacted, this law would allow:
    •virtually anyone could grow pot in their backyard and carry a 60-day supply;
    •anyone age 21 and over to operate a pot shop in your neighborhood to sell marijuana for any “medical” reason - not just for the seriously ill.

In Colorado, for example, less than 3% of patients suffer from cancer and HIV.

We do not need 35 pot shops to serve the less than 1% truly in need of medical marijuana in Massachusetts. There is already a marijuana pill available for prescription (Marinol). Other marijuana medication will be available in pharmacies soon.

Medical marijuana needs tighter restriction and physician oversight.

Let’s develop medications properly and find a better path for seriously ill patients, who should not be arrested.
    Protect Massachusetts from widespread abuse. Vote no.

Authored by:
    Dr. Jay Broadhurst
    Vote No on Question 3
    P.O. Box 2954
    Acton, MA 01720
    508-330-3843
    www.mavotenoonquestion3.com

2. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 30 / -34

yes.....absolutely

in fact, I think marinjuana should be comepletely decriminalized.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Yes

But it won't pass so if your sick and need it go down to your local school yard or just ask some kid on a street corner, you will get all you want.

The War On Drugs Is A Joke, Drugs Are Everywhere, Cops Smoke Pot.

4. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

The War on Drugs is an unmitigated disaster.

5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +253 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well alcohol is legal but it's illegal to make moonshine. Marijuana could be regulated the same way alcohol is.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +253 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well almost completely. DUI, or growing your own I'd keep illegal.

7. TyronePoole

TyronePoole Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

the argument against seems more like an argument for

8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I might vote no on this on the notion that it doesn't go far enough. All adults should be able to grow it in their yard, smoke it in their yard, and give it to any other adult who can't or won't grow their own. It's a plant. People brew their own beer and make their own wine and booze.

If you look deep enough, you'll find a ton of money coming from Big Pharma and their street-corner dealers in the doctor's office opposing this.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  9. TyronePoole

TyronePoole Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

you should probably not do this imo since it a) doesn't convey that message and b) trends the law in the opposite direction

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yeah, I know. I'll vote for it.

11. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +472 / 3 / -3

#11 Jersey

I am all for legalizing it even though I do not use it. But, then I am all for salt and 24+ ounce beverages too ;)

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Those who oppose legalization argue that when it is legalized it does not reduce the use of other drugs, but actually increases at least alcohol consumption. Those who support its legalization argue that in the Netherlands, where it is legal, there is a lower use rate than in the US.

But for me, this is an easy question for me. The "war on drugs" is such an utter failure that we should legalize marijuana and see what happens. If bad things happen, let's make it illegal again. My guess is it won't change anything much.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  13. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

The question that should be on the ballot (IMHO) is a complete legalization of it.

1. As long as booze and tobacco are legal for adults (18 or 21(hahaha 21)) there is no medical reason to keep it illegal as those two substances are far, far, far, worse for your body.

2. Its an untapped revenue stream that should be used by the states/feds. Regulate its sale through "State Smoke Shops" or Coffee Shops. Having it legal will not cause more people to do it. Its illegal now and people still choose to purchase and partake. i.e. the legality of it to date hasn't done much to stifle demand.

3. As long as we allow votes to be bought by the highest bidder, it wont be legal in the US. Big Pharma would never let it happen because the fact is, Mother Nature has provided us a "product" which is superior to just about anything man has come up with (from a benefit/side effect POV). They would never let themselves lose to a "weed".

4. The war on drugs is arguably the dumbest policy boondoggle we as a country have ever undertaken - Thanks Tricky Dick!

Sadly, none of the theaters near me showed The House in Which I live....can't wait to see it (DVD or other).

14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Imagine all the Drug Dealing Pigs it would put out of business, all drugs should be legal, America loves it's drugs and America will get it's drugs from the dirty dealer.

Drugs are just like Cancer "Big Business" if they legalize drugs what will they do with all of those "drug sniffing dogs"

THE PHONY WAR ON DRUGS WILL CONTINUE--$$$$$$$$$$$$$

15. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 30 / -34

agree on the DUI, not on the grow your own.......I think the value of doing so is naturally eliminated through decriminalization.......I would not be opposed to a simple permitting process just to keep the kids from doing it

16. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We agree!

Wow...I'm with you a 100% on this, its a victimless crime...Its a waste of money and resources to jail these people and take them to court. We have way bigger fish to fry IMO.

17. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 30 / -34

that's because I am not a mindless robot who thinks either party is right about everything

18. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Could of fooled me:p

lol j/k aside, legalizing weed is not a right or left issue IMO.