PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lying Hypocrite Parcells Still Complaining Re: OTHERS' Betrayal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now? Really? The old geezer needs to learn what every five-year-old girl in the Western world knows.

Parcells is perhaps the single most overrated coach to ever stand on an NFL sideline

The NFL's "Wizard of Oz." Just a man. No genius. Success, luck with equal amounts of failure and bad behavior.

Parcells is perhaps the single most overrated coach to ever stand on an NFL sideline
That might be a bit of hyperbole, but not that far off the mark. Parc.ells was a good builder, but a horrible maintainer. One of his assets was he understood that and that's why he was always looking to move on to bad situations.

As a human being, Parcells brings to mind words like self-aggrandizing, narcissistic, selfish, ego maniacal, and delusional (if he believes half of what he's written.) I find it hard to believe he even understands the concept of "betrayal" given he either betrayed, or tried to betray every organization he ever worked for.

Parcells was a good HC, but not a great one. To my mind his greatest qualities were he knew his limitations (which is why he never lasted long in one place), he hired great assistants and let them do their jobs, and he handled the media like a maestro. We still feel the effects of that last one by his annual inclusion into the Pats HOF mix, despite the fact he has NO business being considered. You don't put .500 coaches who screwed you into your HOF.

That being said, if they ever start a press conference HOF, Parcells should be a charter member. ;)

That might be a bit of hyperbole, but not that far off the mark. Parc.ells was a good builder, but a horrible maintainer. One of his assets was he understood that and that's why he was always looking to move on to bad situations.

As a human being, Parcells brings to mind words like self-aggrandizing, narcissistic, selfish, ego maniacal, and delusional (if he believes half of what he's written.) I find it hard to believe he even understands the concept of "betrayal" given he either betrayed, or tried to betray every organization he ever worked for.

Parcells was a good HC, but not a great one. To my mind his greatest qualities were he knew his limitations (which is why he never lasted long in one place), he hired great assistants and let them do their jobs, and he handled the media like a maestro. We still feel the effects of that last one by his annual inclusion into the Pats HOF mix, despite the fact he has NO business being considered. You don't put .500 coaches who screwed you into your HOF.

That being said, if they ever start a press conference HOF, Parcells should be a charter member. ;)

agreed with all

he could judge talent, and he could delegate.....and he was at times a decent "front man"......but his act seemed to wear thin with players, and after a few years his effectiveness waned and players tuned him out......he had all the aggressiveness and drive of a guy like lombardi, but lacked lombardi's understanding of player psyche and how to build a player up to be great......parcell's motivated through fear, he did a great job transforming teams, but as you said, couldn't "maintain"

a little food for thought..

http://www.examiner.com/article/hof...-playoff-game-without-bill-belichick-on-staff

Bill Parcells was a under .500 head coach in the NFL without Bill Belichick on his staff
Without Bill Belichick on his staff, Bill Parcells record as a head coach in the NFL was 55-57 (.491).
  • With Bill Belichick on his staff Parcells record was 117-73-1 (.616)
Without Bill Belichick on staff Bill Parcells was 0-3 in the playoffs
  • With Bill Belichick on his staff Bill Parcells was 11-5 in the playoffs with two Super Bowl wins

Surprisingly no one in the media seems to point parcells ditching the pats thing . Everyone "loves" him because of he gives quotes. The media loves the guy who constantly berated and made fun of the media but BB who just doesnt give any answers is the bad guy.

Even BB ripped Parcells for his lack of focus on the team before that Super Bowl and called it disrespectful.... to me that says it all.

Parcells is an NFL Hall of famer. He should be nowhere near the Patriots HOF.

And I believe the Pats actually win that Super Bowl if BB was coaching it....

You don't become a HOF coach, and arguably one of the top 5 coaches of alltime, without having a bit of an ego, and being a little narcissist.

As for the Tuna, you get what you pay for. He's an ego maniac, who will turn your **** franchise into a contender. There is absolutely no denying that he put us on the map. Without him, this franchise might still be a laughing stock like the Browns and Raiders. I remember the Rod Rust & McPherson years, and it was the Tuna who changed all that.

I'll never forgive him for his no being 100% focused on the SB and calling the Jets on Bob Kraft's dime, trying to get HIMSELF a new job, when he should have been doing the job he had. And now he has the balls to talk about loyalty?

BTW how many SB's did this guy win without BB and how many has BB won without Tuna?

How many SBs has BB won without Brady, or without Romeo Crennell & Charlie Weiss? The bottom line is that the Tuna (along with BB) is one of the greatest coaches of all time. I get the hate for how he left the franchise, but that shouldn't take away from how terrific a coach he was.

How many SBs has BB won without Brady, or without Romeo Crennell & Charlie Weiss? The bottom line is that the Tuna (along with BB) is one of the greatest coaches of all time. I get the hate for how he left the franchise, but that shouldn't take away from how terrific a coach he was.

He jaked out on his team the week of the Super Bowl.

And decades later, he complains about his assistant leaving his employ early in the offseason.

It is what it is.

He jaked out on his team the week of the Super Bowl.

And decades later, he complains about his assistant leaving his employ early in the offseason.

It is what it is.

Truly. I totally know that, and agree. That doesn't make his accomplishments any less than they are. I think sometimes the bad taste he left in fans mouths distorts their view of where he rests on the Mt Rushmore of NFL coaches. When people say, he left, so he sucks, and he never won anything without BB, I can't help but ask what BB has won without Brady, Crennell, or Weiss. BB left the Jets under the same type of shadiness as the Tuna, but fans here sometimes ignore that. How he got here has no bearing on his accomplishments as a coach, which are historic. That's my only point. Hiring Tuna is like making a deal with the devil. As a long time fan who remembers Mark Wilson, George Adams, and the euphoric Hugh Millen I'm ok with that pact. It put us on the map. That's my only point. I won't defend Tuna the person, but I have tremendous respect for Tuna the coach.

Last edited:
BB left the Jets under the same type of shadiness as the Tuna, but fans here sometimes ignore that. .

No he didn't. And THAT is the point.

Screwing your team while they are preparing in New Orleans during Super Bowl week is NOT in any way, shape or form "the same type of shadiness" as resigning during the first few weeks of an offseason.

RW, you know that.

No he didn't. And THAT is the point.

Screwing your team while they are preparing in New Orleans during Super Bowl week is NOT in any way, shape or form "the same type of shadiness" as resigning during the first few weeks of an offseason.

RW, you know that.

We'll agree to disagree I guess.

We'll agree to disagree I guess.

That's ok.

I simply feel that is a completely different level of shadiness to bail on your team during a week that they are preparing to play in a Super Bowl than for a team 6 days into its offseason.

I respect (but don't really understand) your opinion that it is the same level.

I admire Parcells and think he was a remarkable HC for his ability to turn around bad situations, as he proved over and over.

BUT, in the spirit of folks living in glass houses not throwing stones, Tuna really should direct his ire elsewhere than at BB. Here are the facts through 2006:

Bill Parcells' record as HC with BB as his DC or Assistant HC:
Regular Season: 106-54-0
Playoffs: 10-4
Division Championships: 5
Conference Championships: 3
League (SB) Championships: 2

Bill Parcells' record as HC without BB as his DC or Assistant HC:
Regular Season: 67-69-1
Playoffs: 1-3
Division Championships: 0
Conference Championships: 0
League (SB) Championships: 0

Yes, I know there are a lot of reasons why the comparison is imperfect and that technically Parcells is addressing a contractual situation in his comments and that he was working with some pretty weak teams at the outset of his tenure in each case.

But, Parcells really ought to recognize the extent of Belichick's contribution to his success and shut the **** up when he feels like criticizing him.

That's as fair-minded as I can bring myself to be. Basically, I believe that he betrayed the Patriots, the Krafts, his team and us, the fans, when he effectively checked out during SB week!

But, Parcells really ought to recognize the extent of Belichick's contribution to his success and shut the **** up when he feels like criticizing him.

Speaks volumes that the only time Parcells can be relevant anymore is if he schedules his press releases for his new books with controversial passages about Belichick during weeks when the New York team plays the Patriots.

The universe has shifted that far.

Belichick never had a coaching stink bomb like Parcells did in that Super Bowl. Not even close.

Kicking/punting to Howard again and again and again with predictable results. Inexplicably scratching a healthy Troy Brown who probably would have stopped Howard. Removing the double team that was erasing Reggie White and matching up Max Lane against him instead with predictable results. The Packers were having trouble with Curtis Martin - the Pats best offensive weapon - so of course that means forget about him and make Bledsoe throw and throw to win it by himself. It's only logical right? Parcells non chalant attitude after the game. And so on.

So either the Patriots had a coach that didn't give a rats ass ... or he knew exactly what he was doing with those decisions....throwing the Super Bowl as the egomaniac's F U to Kraft on his way out the door. I mean he did tell Kraft that week he would never help him win a Super Bowl.

Not one for conspiracy theories but like I said I wouldn't put the latter past his ego at all.

Last edited:
When Parcells left to go to the Jets and became the green tuna i was one of those who were pissed at him.

But now looking back after years of mediocrity he gave us hope and took us to the SB. He changed the Patriots culture. In a day and age where coaches can get fired on a whim and owners have little patience, Parcells decided to control his own fate. I can't fault him for that. I'm not sure we get BB without seeing the Patriot culture when he was here.

You make a lot of good points. And yet, still, **** Bill Parcells. To hell with him. It's one thing to control your own fate, its another to take GIVE UP---QUIT---on all of those players who made it so you could control your own fate. Without Bledsoe, Martin, McGinest, Ty Law, etc, he doesn't get to just up and decide he wants a new job. And he did so during the preparation for the biggest game of those young men's lives.

I've coached many kids over the years, and the idea of just up and giving up on them---right before a championship game no less---is a complete non-starter. It's a disgrace. Parcells gets none of the credit for restoring the Patriots to respectability from me, he just gets all of the credit for the disgrace that was his exit. He saved the worst coaching job of his life for one of the 3 biggest games he'll ever coach in, and that is his legacy with the Patriots to me. He and the Jest deserve each other. Hey maybe he can try to get some of his inept in-laws jobs with the Bills before it's all said and done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down