Welcome to PatsFans.com

Lybia

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PATSNUTme, Mar 18, 2011.

1. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Why are we gettnig involved in a civil war in Lybia? What is our vital national interest in Lybia?

Why aren't the usual suspects running around screaming now that we are on the verge of taking military action in Lybia?

Discuss. Please don't bring in Iraq or Afganistan into the discussion as they have nothing to do with Lybia.

2. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,748 / 12 / -15

#75 Jersey

We aren't. The UN and NATO are. In fact, this time around, it has been the French, the British and the Arab League who have been spearheading this. If anything, our government is pulling up the rear.

At least in LIBYA (sp). ;)

In the meantime, all of this is the same ignoring the elephant in the room that was taking place in 2003 when we gave Iran a big wet kiss by taking out the toothless and harmless (to anyone else but his own people) Saddam.

The source problem in the world is the current Khomeini-heir regime. Keep your eye on what they are doing to foment the Bahrain situation. Watch them traversing the Suez Canal with heavily armed naval vessels the minute Mubarak is overthrown, etc. etc.

Our national security focus must be on Iran, but for 3+ decades our government seems to get lost in the maps.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  3. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +56 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

IMO we did the right thing by not taking action until the UN got involved. From what I've read the Brits & French will be leading the way and there will be no way we put troops* on the ground.

*Apart from the Special Ops guys that will be joined by the UK, France & Australia that we all know are there already!

4. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +252 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

At least in Lybia (sp).

That's the way we say it in Maine.:D
    The UN and NATO are.

Well then, that explains why no one is upset that we are getting involved in a civil war in which we have no idea who on the other side.

The UN and NATO will take care of this without any US service person being put in harms way. This time we will be holding their coats while they do the heavy lifting.:rolleyes:

5. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +56 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

What is your stance on the no fly zone and the cease fire that Libya declared after the UN passed that resolution?

We are not going to war with Libya.

6. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +252 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

My stance is that we have no business getting involved in a civil war with no vital national interest at stake.

All it's going to take is a couple of our aviators being shot down and paraded through the streets for it to blow up in our faces.

Why are we doing this in the first place? I guess I've miss the rational while reading my draft guides.

7. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,748 / 12 / -15

#75 Jersey

1) The President stated flatly today, no US groundtroops.

2) I'm OK with stopping genocides. We should have gone into Rwanda. Once again, it's something like 30 countries. We're just one of 'em. Not a US policy or anything. We're not even leading it. Think of it as if we're like Canadians or Australian usually are in this.

8. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +56 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

I wish Bush shared your opinion back in the day. Aussie soldiers are getting killed for a war the Country never wanted.

9. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +252 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I still haven't heard the rationale for any US servicemen to be put into harms way, but I'm sure I will if I wait long enough.

I have not heard anything about genocide taking place. Sound as if there's a rebellion against Daffy, which is a civil war. Do we know if the rebels will be really pro democracy or will they be radical Islamist?

10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,364 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

We are just sitting back on the Lybia majora ... France and Britain are going for the Lybia minora.

11. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

sadly, that's been US policy for the past 60-70 years, it seems...

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +352 / 15 / -12

Personally, I think what's being done is Libya is the same as what Germany did in Yugoslavia. It's divide and conquer time. Now that Qadaffi is severely weakened, we're keeping two weak entities in place, reducing Qadaffi's ability to engage in destabilizing activities elsewhere. It's a cynical but effective strategy.

13. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,748 / 12 / -15

#75 Jersey

Everything else is merely a sideshow for the Big Kahuna.......Iran.

I'm OK with being "participant #23" in the UN role on Libya.

Iran should be our focus.

It's time to take care of business with Ahmedinejad and it's way past time to finally screw the Khomeini legacy.

14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -12

Agreed +1 Huge problem.

15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

Obama Wars = good wars

16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,364 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

This guy if he were to go down would like nothing better than to be a martyr. Not that he even remotely qualifies as one - but in his mind anything is possible. So my problem with this is the very simple question of:

"What could go wrong?" .....

Answer: "Everything".

This guy will go down in a blaze of fire ... unfortunately.

17. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Protecting citizens is a noble reason to get involved. Sadly, we won't just help them liberate and walk away, we will stick around and try to force them into whats best for them in our opinions, and create a whole new generation of Arab kids who hate the US involvement of their countries leadership.

If we simply helped save lives, and went about our ways, this could go a long way into healing relationships in that area.

We shouldn't have gotten involved, but it was pretty bad sending tanks, fighter jets, and missiles against rebels with AK-47s, so someone needed to help them...

18. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The President is in a lot of hot water on this one. It seems that he was, in concert with France, the major player at the UN, and with NATO and the Arab League to do this. His critics are saying that he, by doing this, and not going before congress to seek permission, is subverting the sovereign Authority of our Government, in favor of a world governing body, and overreaching his Constitutional authority. He has people in his own party such as Kucinich (sp?) mentioning impeachment over this.

He had all this time to get his ducks in a nice row internationally, yet never bothered to clear it with his own Congress. Even Bush went before Congress for the actions he took. Some say he lied to Congress, but at least he went. Again, another dangerous precedent Obama is establishing.

If ending slaughter of civilians mattered, why are we singling out Libya? And why all the outrage at Bush? Compared to Saddam, Qaddhafi is an altar boy when it comes to slaughtering his own citizens. This is just another example of interventionalism and regime change. Different objectives, different stooges on the ground. And still no stated end game.

Oh and Qaddhafi is right.. the rebels are being backed by Al Queda in Tunesia. Oops. This should end well.

19. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Where's the link? All I read was your saying Obama is worse then Bush.............Seriously. When we invaded Iraq, how many Iraq troops, tanks, jets, were killing Iraq civilians?
    When we invaded Iraq, did we just enforce a no-fly zone, or did we pummel the infrastructure into a scap pile. Was Iraq at war when we chose a pre-emptive strike against them. Lastly, because I've forgotten, why did we invade Iraq?

20. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Constitutionally, Obama is worse. He didn't even bother with congress. Links? lets start with this thread:
    http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ats-uproar-over-libya-action.html#post2506048
    Then there is this:
    Libya military campaign: Obama increasingly under fire for U.S. military campaign in Libya - latimes.com
    And this in his own words live:
    Home - FoxBusiness.com

edit: dont get me wrong. I was no fan of W either. But a POTUS unilaterally acting without even going before Congress at all, and subserving Sovereign Authority to a Global Governmental Authority is a very very dangerous precedent.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011