Welcome to PatsFans.com

Lunch with a World War II Vet...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Dec 23, 2010.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 9 / -26

My ex neighbor is now 91, WWII Vet who was in all 5 major battles in the European Theater(not sure why we call it that)... and is now in stage III Mesothelemoia. They took his license last year, and now is pretty much housebound and reliant on others to get to where he needs to go.

I do not thank him for his service, as that is patronizing and somewhat condescending.. he knows how much I admire what he did, somethings are better left unsaid.

He started off in Artillery, and switched over to 101st Airborne.. never press him on his experience in war. Coincidentally currently reading , "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand(an excellent read) which offered an excellent segway into some of his war time stuff. In all of our conversations over the years there are a couple of things that reallly stick out; the battle of Hurtgen Forest, the liberating of a concentration camp and waiting on the sidelines for Russian forces to march into Berlin while they raped and pillaged.

Aside from his experience, he always comments on why are we still in many of these wars, he cannot understand Iraq or Afghanistan. He cannot understand Korea... in the past he told me that he would not have gone to war if he did not have to, and he has great disdain for the favored sons who got cushy assignments.. most wars are fought by poor, non connected kids.

We did a few errands, got his girlfriend a Xmas Card.. and on the way home started commenting on "queers" in the service, and how they used to beat the crap out of them when he was on active duty.. he is afraid of getting molested in a fox hole.. without regard a very good day. This will probably be his last Christmas.. as he goes back to the Doctor today, and he indicated he can feel himself getting sicker every day.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Interesting story, Darryl, thanks.

We're going to Indiana to see my mother (she's 87) today.....I am going to ask her how she feels about the repeal of DADT. It'll be interesting to get her reaction. My dad was a WWII vet and I honestly don't think we ever discussed gays - in or out of the military. He was a very kind person to all individuals he met - but stubborn about holding onto stereotypes in his general world view. He was a Republican all of his life, I think - he would get angry every year because he thought my mother's vote cancelled his out.

My mom's pretty liberal - I think she'll be ok with the repeal - but then again, she surprises me sometimes.

I'll ask my kids, too, and see what the "younger generation" thinks. We span 'em all, so it's always illuminating to hear their opinions and her opinions and compare them to our own.

Have a good holiday, everyone.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +507 / 2 / -9

Things Change
    Nothing Is Forever
    But I Think There Will Always Be War
    We Are Members Of The Animal Society
    Animals Fight (soccer games)
    Many Of Us Even Look Like Animals
    I Once Worked With A Man Who Looked Just Like A Dog