Welcome to PatsFans.com

LSD May Help Alcoholics Stay Off Booze

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

2. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

Never liked LSD.... The blotter acid of the 80's was never my drug of
    choice.

I am sure there are a few drugs that may help alcoholics stay away from booze.

If I was going to go that route, I would probably pick Antabuse, (or disulfiram) because it does works & if you do drink you will wish you did
    not drink (nasty side affects). I never took the stuff, but I do know
    people who have had success taking it.

It may help you stop drinking, but it does not address the underlying
    causes of why you drink.

If you want to quit drinking......... Go to AA.
    The only requirement for membership is the desire to stop drinking.
  3. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 5 / -17

#87 Jersey

saw something on shrooms being used in so america for this on natgeo or discovery.
    I think Timothy Leary did some experiments on using lsd on inmates to change criminal behavior right here in ma.
    I think Whitey Bulger was involved in some of those.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +660 / 2 / -9

Isn't LSD the stuff that made people think they could flap their arms and Fly?

I'm not trying to be funny, didn't Art Linkletters daughter jump off a Skyscraper and start flapping her arms like a bird after using it?
  5. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 5 / -17

#87 Jersey

Ah so what. I haven't got todays paper yet but I'm sure somewhere on page 5 of the herald under the fold.Some drunken 22 year old wiped out a family of four with his car doing a 110 in school zone.He'll live as quadrapalegic on the taxpayers dime...And booze is legal.
  6. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

I can cure alcoholism, no problem, 1 aspirin tablet. You feel like walking or driving to the corner bar, you put it between your knees. Heh, laugh riot, right??

I slay me!

By the way, Muslim-affiliated businesses still have to have rehab and liver transplants in the policies available to their workers. Hell, they might even have to cover some medical use of alcohol consumption such as in cough syrup.

Where's the outrage? :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, if you ask me, treating alcoholism or anything else w/acid sounds like a really sketchy general treatment regime.

I would not want LSD in my system 24/7 for a period of years. Hell, could hardly survive it over a period of months.

So while looking into this that and the other property, or studying the effects in a specific timeframe might have worked for the researchers, I'm not sure exactly how you're going to deal with people for a lifetime using acid. What a long strange trip that would be.
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

The odd thing about addiction and recovery is that people find all sorts of ways to recover or relapse. There is no evidence that people who go to AA do better than people who quit on their own, go to rehabs, pay for therapy, go on meds, etc. My feeling is that in 100 years, the tx for addiction is going to be vastly changed and vastly improved. All the solutions right now are to some degree fishing in the dark.

One of the problems in finding the best approach is the statistical challenges. After all, how do you measure recovery? After 1 month? 6 months? 10 years? Does a single relapse count? Does the ability that some have to regulate their intake count? What about "weekend warriors"; are they really addicts? What constitutes addiction? How do you measure unreported relapses? How do you measure recovery rates for people who recover on their own? Even if we could measure recovery rates, is it meaningful if we don't take into account the degree of addiction and the quality of life for those in recovery.

What makes the field so challenging is that our knowledge of addiction and human behavior in general is still so limited. One thing I've come to believe is that some people sober up to such train wrecks of lives, the appeal of drugs and alcohol is truly understandable. I would bet everyone of us, if we wanted to, could imagine a horrible enough life that addiction would be a relatively pleasant alternative.
  8. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 5 / -17

#87 Jersey

BINGO! ABSTINENCE! PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY! What a f"n novel idea!
    Man you libs are really smart enlightned and imaginative ,aren't you. You are starting to get it.
    Instaed looking around wondering who,what,where,how,when can I blame someone else or how I can get someone to pay for what I choose to do.
    Instead I look in the mirror and say whats the easiest way not get drunk?What the easiest way not to get pregnant?...Don't put it in ya.
    But i want a buzz and I want sex!!!...Pay for it!!! Quit blaming and charging others for YOUR NEEDS.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +660 / 2 / -9

I agree, after those cars crash into the trees in the middle of the night and the dead bodys are taken away they always find those little brown bottles scattered around.

Drunks don't think they can fly but they think trees will get of their way, when I was younger I can remember going out in the yard in the morning to see if my car was banged up or if there was any blood on the headlights, some mornings I couldn't even find my car.
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

Absolutely COJ! Study after study has proven AA is far more successful at helping alcoholics and addicts stay clean & sober.

There is no organization for addicts on this planet more widely found than an AA meeting.

One thing I have found to be true is that the medical and psychiatric world don't understand addiction at all. You hit the nail on the head with your comment about underlying issues that cause people to relapse.

It is no wonder that the 12 step program has been adopted by so many other groups. What better feeling for a sober alcoholic to walk into a building and tell a group, "my name is Joe and I'm an alcoholic"? And to feel pride in actually saying those words...no doctor or psych would/could understand.

Any medical professional who actually believes LSD could help an addict is a fool. That stuff is part of the reason many of come to the halls of AA. I am constantly AMAZED by the number of people who want to find a pill to cure anything and everything. Obesity...there's pill for that...Addiction?...yup, we've got a pill for that too! Gimme a break!

No matter how bad life can be sober, it can never compare to the misery found in a bottle, needle, powder or pill. I have met many who quit on their own and I see a distinct difference from those who got sober and involved in Alcoholics Anonymous.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  11. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 5 / -17

#87 Jersey

Thanks Patsreign.How long for you?
  12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

Since December 1989. But honestly, length of sobriety means very little to me. I really believe in "One Day at Time". I am sober today and that's all I've got.

We try not to get proud of our sobriety because cokkiness and arrogance can lead us to think we've done this on our own. I can guarantee you I could not have done this by myself. So I am very grateful for my sobriety, but I'm not proud of myself...if that makes any sense.
  13. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 5 / -17

#87 Jersey

Good for you.

I got an idea. It is what it is, nothing more.Its reality.Pride is just extra baggage on a high wire act.
    Stay humble.
  14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +233 / 8 / -13

LSD and some other psychedelics are very effective at allowing the brain to be reprogrammed (ie brainwashed) which is why the gov went nuts on them in the 60's you couldn't have people reprogramming their own nervous systems now could you?

T Leary did work in this area and it showed a lot of promise, when LSD was made illegal all the the reasearch with psychedelics was stopped (Leary had already moved on). Too bad.
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

Man, that's ignorant in my opinion. I've worked with veterans who became addicted to heroin because they live with so much pain; I've worked with people who were plied with drugs or alcohol by their parents or abusive husbands; I've worked with a few conservative religious folk who became addicted because they had the arrogance to believe what you believe; No one wants to be an addict, but when it happens, it behaves just like a disease. If you're going to go around judging others, then at least have some knowledge of what you're talking about.
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +262 / 10 / -11

Man, you'd be the last person I'd guess who would write that post!
  17. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +149 / 5 / -17

#87 Jersey

Thats fine and all your points are valid.
    But I was responding in the context of the post by MPVA.Nothing more.
    You don't have to prejudge me on my knowledge of addictions and the reasons excuses and human destruction because of it.I've worked around it and know it first hand.There are exceptions to every rule.In general addiction comes down to personal sloth.The person ingesting the drugs comes before the addiction generally speaking.No ingestion. No addiction. 100% cure rate.
  18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

I don't agree with your perception of how a person becomes an addict/alcoholic. You can have 10 people drink the same amounts of alcohol or use the same amount of drugs and yet only 2 become addicted.

That's because some people are predisposed to become addicted. Either through genetic or environmental/psychological attributes. I drank less than many people I grew up with, but none of them become addicted and I did.

I also have a family history of alcoholism. I've had strong will power with many things in my life, but I can guarantee you will power is of no use to an addict. You may not agree, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Yet there is room for us to have different opinions. I've just stated mine.
  19. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,255 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

You DO understand that babies born from parents with a chemical dependency have it in the bloodstream?

They are literally BORN with drug addictions.

I know some nurses who have worked in NICU's with at risk "boarder" babies. For literally millions of people, it is not some "choice".
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Used to call this generationally transmitted dysfunctions, for some reason, nurture or nature, addictions are handed down from generation to generation, i.e. being born to the breed.

OTOH for some of us who are prone to addictions, the best answer is to quit and adapt a positive lifestyle that is less about us and more about meeting others needs. The role of designated driver is something to aspire to.