Welcome to PatsFans.com

LPGA if you cannot speak english you cannot play..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Aug 26, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

heard this earlier in the day.. interesting to see how this will play out..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,411201,00.html

2. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 14 / -9

Sweet !

You go girl !
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,039 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

It's an American association ... I don't have a problem with it. Lots of foreigners coming in trying to win $$$ ... they want the $$$ then learn the English.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Apparently it is directed toward the Eastern Players..
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,039 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

These kids are coming from golf factories ... it's huge. I remember whe ngolf became huge over there and they had few courses ... people were hitting balls off of rooftops.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +512 / 6 / -2

Wow, imagine that? The LPGA fockin gets it, but moro...people in here don't. :D

I love it. It's their association, their cash, and thus, their rules. Can country's do this too? [​IMG]
  7. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm all for requiring English of US citizens, but for the LPGA? Seems a little strange to me. Its their prerogative of course, but I'm not a big fan since they allow competitors from other countries to join/play.
  8. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The World Cup should require American teams to speak Spanish or else they can't play.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +512 / 6 / -2

Um MMav, the World Cup is a global event, and isn't exculsively owned, and operated, by an association from a specific country that speaks spanish. ;)
  10. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +51 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

but soccer is stupid
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +662 / 2 / -9

It's about time somebody faced up to that crazy liberal crap, imagine what the America of tomorrow would be like if the Liberals had their way, in the year 2098 millions of people would be wandering around unable to communicate with each other, they would have to use Gang Banger Finger Sign Sh!t.
  12. Amazon4

Amazon4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

From what I've read about it the LPGA will work with the players and make sure they get the help/resources they need to learn to speak English. They're not to be suspended at the first sign of trouble. They will continue to work with them. I think it would have to be an extreme case to suspend someone (i.e. refusal to learn).

I think it's their right to do this being a U.S. organization, and that talking to the media in the U.S. is part of the business machine that is the LPGA.

If I recall the numbers right, it was something like 47 players from S. Korea out of a field of 120+ members. That's just one non-English speaking segment that's easily one third of the players.

I think it's a good thing.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +512 / 6 / -2

:welcome:

Please keep posting pal!
  14. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My only issue with this is that the LPGA is stated that making money and advertising is more important than the actual sport. What should be the focus is the competition and the sport of Golf, not how best we can take a competition and best make money off it.

It is their association, but this should simply tell you that Golf is not the primary driving factor for the LPGA, only selling more, advertising more, and generating revenue from these players...

Obviously, foreign born, non english speaking golfers are not good for business.

Sports used to be about competition, not naming rights, and ad deals.
  15. Amazon4

Amazon4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's part of a big business machine, it's not only about golf. For them to continue to attract top players, they need big sponsors and increasing purses.

The LPGA knows how lucky it was to have Annika. She brought the tour a lot of attention and the players have benefited by it. What if she was a player who was difficult to market because of a language barrier? It seems to me it helps the individual player to be able to get by speaking English.

I just had a thought - how do these players manage when they have to consult a rules official during play? Does the LPGA have to make sure all officials speak the languages represented by the players? Is it up to their caddy to interpret? How do they get through Q school?

I admit it's an awkward situation, but if we can take the "PC" out of the equation, I still think it makes sense.