PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lowered Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
IMO this Pats team is too decimated with injuries to make a legitimate run. My goals for the team for the rest of the season are to:

1. Play competitive games that are fun to watch
2. Don't suffer anymore catastrophic injuries
3. Rookie development - WRs to gel with Brady, continued development by Jones, Hightower (calling the Defense), Ryan and Harmon becoming NFL tested in the secondary, and Vellano and Chris Jones possibly developing into viable rotational DTs.

Call me a loser, but the way I see it is every loss puts us in a better position draft-wise for 2014.

IMO this Pats team is too decimated with injuries to make a legitimate run. My goals for the team for the rest of the season are to:

3. Rookie development - WRs to gel with Brady, continued development by Jones, Hightower (calling the Defense), Ryan and Harmon becoming NFL tested in the secondary, and Vellano and Chris Jones possibly developing into viable rotational DTs.

Call me a loser, but the way I see it is every loss puts us in a better position draft-wise for 2014.

Well said (except for the last sentence) !. With Wilfork and Mayo out we will not be able to go deep into the playoffs this year.

It's way, way too early to throw in the towel like this. It's a marathon, not a sprint. We're not even halfway through the season and are in first place in the division.

All I ever asked for are competitive games that are fun to watch.

last year should tell you pointless it is to give up on a season so early. Two losses in the first three games and we only lost two more on the year. At this stage last year, we were 4-3. Patience.

last year should tell you pointless it is to give up on a season so early. Two losses in the first three games and we only lost two more on the year. At this stage last year, we were 4-3. Patience.

Valid point, but can our D really stop any playoff team come January? For that to happen, we would either need this current unit to suddenly improve (especially the run D) or the Pats to make a big acquisition before the trade deadline.

I understand the sentiment of making the playoffs at 10-6 draft wise. But the expectation you mentiond have always been mine for this team missing Wilfork Kelly Mayo Talib Amendola Gronk Hernandez et al.

We will be a very hard team to beat and I believe we should win the division. However with all of those defensive casualties I don't think we will be able to stop any of the heavy hitters in our division. This year to date unfortunately the O hasn't been able to carry us.

Valid point, but can our D really stop any playoff team come January? For that to happen, we would either need this current unit to suddenly improve (especially the run D) or the Pats to make a big acquisition before the trade deadline.

We should have Talib and Kelly back by that point and when you get in the playoffs, all bets are off anyway.

We should have Talib and Kelly back by that point and when you get in the playoffs, all bets are off anyway.

I think we also need to do something before the trade deadline.Lets hope we are one of those teams which no one thinks will make any noise in the playoffs and ends up going really deep into the POs (Giants/Packers/Ratbirds)

I think we also need to do something before the trade deadline.Lets hope we are one of those teams which no one thinks will make any noise in the playoffs and ends up going really deep into the POs (Giants/Packers/Ratbirds)

For the right player I agree. If we can get a Talib-like boost I'm all for it.

For the right player I agree. If we can get a Talib-like boost I'm all for it.
We should probably look at someone on the Cowboys roster, with the salary cap hell that they are facing next year i can see them getting rid/trading away a few good players. Thoughts??

I'm sure the team isn't thinking this way, and thank goodness that's the case.

Way to early to give up. Even with the injuries I thought our d still showed some promise yesterday. Mayo and Wilfork are gone, but Kelly and Talib will be coming back. Our problem on D was third downs. I thought Hightower and Arrington had their worst games of the season. Cumberland and Kerley kept torching them. Hightower might have been overwhelmed with his first game calling the defense, and Arrington might have picked up an injury.

Going forward, I'm more concerned with our third down defense, and our interior OLine. Brady been getting killed the last couple of weeks, with defenders coming free from the inside. With all that said, we still were a BS call away from leaving that dump with a win.

Way to early to give up. Even with the injuries I thought our d still showed some promise yesterday. Mayo and Wilfork are gone, but Kelly and Talib will be coming back. Our problem on D was third downs. I thought Hightower and Arrington had their worst games of the season. Cumberland and Kerley kept torching them. Hightower might have been overwhelmed with his first game calling the defense, and Arrington might have picked up an injury.

Going forward, I'm more concerned with our third down defense, and our interior OLine. Brady been getting killed the last couple of weeks, with defenders coming free from the inside. With all that said, we still were a BS call away from leaving that dump with a win.

The defense definitely showed promise. We may have something in Chris Long. Vellano makes one or two really good plays a game when he's in there. As you so eloquently and perfectly put it, it is WAAAY to early to give up. This team is 5-2 after everything they've had to endure in the offseason (most teams would have been done here) and in the regular season now due to injury. C'mon. I can't believe after everything we've seen over the years that there are people talking about mailing it in. Wow. Talk about fair weather, huh.

I can't believe after everything we've seen over the years that there are people talking about mailing it in. Wow. Talk about fair weather, huh.

I'm mailing it in First class with insurance. I'd feel different if we resigned Welker.

wonderful...more pink hats

Right before the season started I had us at 11-5, being 5-2 at this point (losses to ATL and CIN). Still thinking 11-5, although switching my prediction of a loss at Houston to a loss vs. Pittsburgh.

It's true, this team is incredibly flawed, but take a look at the other AFC contenders:

Cincinnati - I think it goes differently if the two teams meet again. Tons of credit to their defense, but it was also a historically bad game by our offense. Home field could also be a factor.

Baltimore - I know they're 3-4, but their schedule gets way easier now and I see them going 11-5. 10-6 at the very worst. Therefore, I consider them a playoff contender. All that being said, I think they'll beat us in the regular season and the postseason if we see them there.

Indianapolis - I think this one might go to the home team, but I also think Indy has a better shot winning @NE than the Pats have winning @IND. They show up for big games.

Denver - you can never count out another classic Manning playoff choke job in the cold weather.

Kansas City - we'll see how good they are when they play some good teams. I think they'll be the 5th seed, so we would likely play them at home. Their defense could give us a ton of trouble, but I don't see Alex Smith moving that offense if NE can successfully take Charles away (which would likely be the strategy).

Wild card contenders: Miami, New Jersey, Tennessee, San Diego - I wouldn't expect them to beat anyone in the playoffs if they made it, including the Patriots. Maybe the Jest, but I don't see them making it.

What I'm saying is that although the Patriots aren't THAT good, depending on the way the playoffs and seeding works out, I think they could still make a deep run depending on how long they can avoid Baltimore or Indianapolis.

Your team is in first place and your worried about your draft position..Yes, you are a loser.

I'm mailing it in First class with insurance. I'd feel different if we resigned Welker.

How long have you been a Pats fan?

15 years ago if you told me the Pats were 9-7 and in as a wild card I'd have been giddy. You must think every i needs dotting and t needs to be crossed to enjoy the season. It should be a struggle and for most teams it is every year. The Pats play a bad game against the Jets and you want to start playing for next year...at 5-2?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes