PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lowell Sun: Sorry, Patriots Dynasty is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sorry, Patriots Dynasty is Over

Wasn't the Super Ball was one of those things that you got in the 70s in one of those 10 cent vending machines that you bounced against the wall? :)

You laugh, but the idea to name it the Super Bowl came from this.

From Wikipedia:

"One of the conditions of the AFL-NFL Merger was that the winners of each league's championship game would meet in a contest to determine the "world champion of football". According to NFL Films President Steve Sabol, then NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle wanted to call the game "The Big One".[3] During the discussions to iron out the details, AFL founder and Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt had jokingly referred to the proposed interleague championship as the "Super Bowl". Hunt thought of the name after seeing his kids playing with a toy called a Super Ball.[4]; the small, round ball is now on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The name was consistent with postseason college football games which had long been known as "bowl games." The "bowl" term originated from the Rose Bowl Game, which was in turn named for the bowl-shaped stadium in which it is played. Hunt only meant his suggested name to be a stopgap until a better one could be found. Nevertheless, the name "Super Bowl" became permanent."

Last edited:

Good lord. Boston has, by far, the worst local media I have ever seen.

i know right....it is just ironic....we have the best sports teams on the east coast and the local media is worse than eagles fans....

absurd. this is getting absurd.

they won 18 straight games last season. 18. yes they lost the super bowl. it was painful. but lets get a grip here.

By 3 points, that IMO the coaches threw away early in the game.

3 points margin of loss, in ONE game, and still the highest scoring team EVER... yeah, we suck. :rolleyes:

I can't agree on that because if Ladanian was not a crybaby sitting on the bench and instead was at full strength and Antonio Gates was on the field the Patriots would have been in for a very good fight.
Yeah, well they weren't on the field. It doesn't matter. Hypothetical situations are irrelevant. The Patriots had their own injuries to deal with last year.

Yeah, well they weren't on the field. It doesn't matter. Hypothetical situations are irrelevant. The Patriots had their own injuries to deal with last year.

Sure they do!

Like if Barry Sanders was out of retirement the Packers may have never even won the NFC North last year. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

easily the worst football article I've ever read, more than half of it was superman references

Three Words: Controversy sells newspapers.

The dynasty isn't thriving but it hasn't ended either. Time will tell, even the 49ers had 3 straight non-Super Bowl winning years in the 80s.

The statement about Pats fans not being as "****y" struck a cord with me b/c I've been thinking about this since the Super Bowl. It really is better to see your team win when facing adversity and there is a lot of doubt, sometimes even amongst the fans. I wasn't worried about a thing going into the Super Bowl even with Brady's injury. Going into this season I am optimistic but still kinda nervous about the team - reminds me of those Indy playoff games back in '03/'04 - excitement and nerves all rolled into one.

Last edited:
This guy lists his main occupation as "Talk Show Host at WCAP 980AM". You'd never guess from the reasoned, well structured argument. No way is he just trawling for a few outraged listeners to save his sorry excuse for a career.

There was not one legitimate football based point in that entire article.

Just a cute/pointless comparison to comic books. I feel so enlightened. :(

Have to disagree on so many points in the article, but one is, what team was the worst to win a SB and that honor has to go to the Baltimore Colts in SBV. They were so bad, they are the only team to win a SB and not have the MVP. The MVP came from the losing team that year. It was a very ugly game loaded with penalties and turnovers.

In fact the Cowboys, were the first (there are only 2) team to lose the SB and come back and win it the next year. The other is the Dolphins, who lost to the Cowboys in SB VI......

This year, there will be a third.....

Didn't read the article but, I mean, technically speaking, how long can they go without winning a Super Bowl before the "dynasty" is over? I think they'll win it this year and hopefully start a new dynasty, or part two, but you really can't call a team that hasn't won a ring in three years a dynasty just because the key players are still on the team.

Didn't read the article but, I mean, technically speaking, how long can they go without winning a Super Bowl before the "dynasty" is over? I think they'll win it this year and hopefully start a new dynasty, or part two, but you really can't call a team that hasn't won a ring in three years a dynasty just because the key players are still on the team.

I disagree. Record smashing season and playoffs as regularly as they happen here now? I think last year solidifies the dynasty, trophy or no. NO ONE believes the Giants are/were a better team than the Pat's. Trophy this year is a nice set up for another back to back, though. ;)

I disagree. Record smashing season and playoffs as regularly as they happen here now? I think last year solidifies the dynasty, trophy or no. NO ONE believes the Giants are/were a better team than the Pat's. Trophy this year is a nice set up for another back to back, though. ;)

I do agree with that as well....the only people who think the Giants were a better team is the all mighty BSPN......

Good ole journalistic talent.....

Dynasty over... its not like Brady was playing injured in the Super Bowl or anything like that.

Oh he was? Or sorry - carry on.

"Had they executed the way they were capable of in AZ, Indy & Denver the last three seasons, they would be going on their 7th ring right now."

And if your Aunt had a beard, she'd be your Uncle.

The only reason they had the chance to gag away the AFCCG vs the Dolts is the result of two words; Troy Brown. He doesn't strip the ball, the Patriots are going home and the Chargers would have waxed the Colts, you know it and I know it.

You are assuming had they beaten Denver (that game was not close, did you watch the same game I did?), they would have beaten a Steeler team that was on a roll at that point (knocking off the Dolts at the dome).

Does the on a roll thing mean anything to you, ie, last years Giants in the Super Bowl? How embarassing would it be if the Giants don't even make the playoffs this year knowing they beat an 18-0 team?

About as embarassed as Rams fans felt after the Patriots ended up 9-7 and out of the playoffs after beating the Rams, that's how...............

(that game was not close, did you watch the same game I did?)

Yes, it was. The Patriots were on the 2, with a touchdown needed to tie the game (or maybe go ahead, I forget).

Brady threw a pick-six to Champ Bailey. Boom, 14 point turn. Game over. That play changed the game completely.

Yes, it was. The Patriots were on the 2, with a touchdown needed to tie the game (or maybe go ahead, I forget).

Brady threw a pick-six to Champ Bailey. Boom, 14 point turn. Game over. That play changed the game completely.

Wrong ,If I am not mistaken it was not a pick six to Champ,It went to about a yard or so from the goal line when Watson came across and knocked him out just before he scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes