PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

low grade rumor: Redskins FA safety Laron Landry considering Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
There really is one thing that I don't get. Are you getting rid of Chung?
He is our starting SS and everyone wants Landry. Both play the same position and are often used in the same way. Having Chung playing as a FS doesn't seem like the best use of his skills.

That's why it kinda puzzling why Patriots interest in Landry as opposed to Nelson. Landry has played as FS (Sean Taylor died, he took over), but did not do well at FS. He eventually went back as SS.

Nelson is a FS. Which is our position need...

That's why it kinda puzzling why Patriots interest in Landry as opposed to Nelson. Landry has played as FS (Sean Taylor died, he took over), but did not do well at FS. He eventually went back as SS.

None. MarkBarron or HarrisonSmith.

funny you say that because both were "SS" in college

We have always interchanged our safeties and play LS and RS not Free and Strong.
Multiple WR sets being so common kind of negates the difference anyway.
Landry is better S than Nelson, IMO. Health notwithstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I thought we agreed on: Landry is a probowl safety, and should/would be treated as a premier, tier 1 free agent..

What I think you are saying we disagree on:
He has not been a tier 1, first day of FA, Big money signing (like most young probowl talent) because there are concerns over his health...... Although I think we DO agree on that
I don't think the number of days it takes for him to make a decision has anything to do with him being downgraded for injury. At least 4 teams are pursuing him. He does not need to accept a contract that is decreased because he HAD an injury. IF the injury is not healed, it is an entirely different story.

What we clearly don't agree on:
He MIGHT be best serve with a short term, incentive laden deal, to erase any doubts teams have and cash in next year.
Because he isn't going to need to settle for that.

I didn't mean to insist that he absolutely will not get a long term, high dollar deal... just that IF he doesn't (as many have pontificated) I think he would be better off playing this year to showcase himself for the Dan Snyder, Al Davis type of contract (he obviously could get, if no injury concerns were present) next year.... especially since the cap is set to skyrocket the year after.
But the only way he doesnt is if he isnt healthy. In that case he gets offered nothing until he is.

You are making it out to be a choice between a long term contract and a 1 year deal. I do not believe such a choice exists.

I agree that it is absurd to treat Landry as a huge injury risk, and Mario Williams as the #1 defensive player in the league, when they have almost identical games missed in the past 2 years. What the real difference between their situations is the position they play. Williams' position makes him the big prize.
It isn't absurd at all to try to downgrade the offer to Landry because of the risk of reinjury, it just isnt realistic to think you can compete for his services by doing so. As far as Williams, the position sets the basic level of the contract, not whether you factor equal injuries in. I also would be more concerned about Landry's injury recurring (although Williams is one that does recur too) if I am not allowed to give him a medical. But the medical either makes me confident enough to offer his value or makes me pull him off the table.

I honestly thought we were thinking the same thing of Landry's actual worth, and how his situation has skewed it. Which is why it looks as though you were looking for a reason to be combative (let's be honest... you do have a history of it :p)
Combative means attacking, and I have never been that. I give my opinion and will explain and defend it, and if I feel strongly, I will state it strongly. I do not attack.
It seems where we disagree is that you feel there is a middle of the road where a team can say your are worth 5mill a yr for 4 years(making up numbers) but you are an injury risk so we are going to give you 3 a year for 4 years, and that there is any way Landry would accept it. He is too good a player with too many teams interested to have to settle, unless he isn't healthy and then he wouldn't even get 3mill for 4 years.
So the optoin of him turning down long term for a prove it contract is out of the realm of possibility IMO.

I just didn't appreciate that you jumped ugly on me, under the assumption that I insisted he will be forced to take a below market deal.
What does that even mean?
YOU responded to my post first. I said he will either get a top contract if he is healthy, or a minimum type contract if he is not.
You wrote back some kind of idea that he would get offered 3 years for 2-3 mill a year, so he should reject that and take a 'prove it' contract.
I disagreed, just as I stated before you ever responded to my post that said I thought otherwise.
I don't know why you have to turn me disagreeing into some kind of hurt feelings.

That was never my assertion, even if that is what could be derived from my wording. This is why I apologized for any confusion, and tried to explain myself better.
Yeah, it was, you said this:

He must believe in his head that he is a top safety... and a 2-3 year 2-3MM per deal is too small to take on his second contract. But since he is not going to get it (due to injury concerns), the "prove it" deal is his only recourse
Is that not exactly what you are now saying you didn't say?

Most intelligent people understand that it is often very difficult to convey true intent through text (without the benefit of seeing body language, facial expression or tone of voice... all vital keys to human communication)
I guess this is why there is so much conflict about comments through social media nowadays.

That being said, There are 2 things I know for certain about you (and to be fair, a few other posters here) at this point...
1. You are a very intelligent person
2. You are a very argumentative person

I have no idea why you have such a hair across your bumm, but I honestly enjoy reading some of your posts... That is why I don't simply put you on ignore.

You made a statement that I disagreed with and now you are saying you either didn't say it or didn't mean it, and you are questioning my response? Really?

The big difference between us is that when you post an opinion that I don't agree with, I don't rip you a new arse over it... I simply move on to the next post.
Dude, all I did was disagree and explain why. I did not insult you, your intelligence or anything about you.
I choose to post on topics where I have a strong opinion and am confident in my understanding. Doesn't mean I am right, it just means that if you ask my opinion its going to have an air of certainty about it. This started with you asking my opinion.

If this is such a problem for you, and you feel that my occasional postings are such an annoyance to you, please, by all means... put ME on ignore.
At what point did I say, or imply anything like that?

If you choose not to, it's either because you, A. enjoy reading some of my opinions (you're very welcome :D)... or B. you just enjoy arguing and being a jerk.
How about I want to read what everyone posts, and add my opinion where I see fit?

If you feel I have somehow insulted or offended you please quote the exact comments I made. If its a case of disagreeing with you hurts your feelings, not much I can do about that, but if it was legitmately offensive it was certainly unintended and I will address that.

Why is Landry getting so much love? Pats struggled badly against the pass last season, and Landry is not the answer to improve there. Landry had 0 INT last season, and has 4 in his 64 career starts.

Matt Giordano had more INT (5) in his 8 starts last season than Landry has in his 64 starts. He is also a big hitter and has great speed. Giordano very probably can be signed cheaper than Landry

Matt Giordano - Career Highlights - YouTube

Matt Giordano - Superbowl Highlights - YouTube

Why is Landry getting so much love? Pats struggled badly against the pass last season, and Landry is not the answer to improve there. Landry had 0 INT last season, and has 4 in his 64 career starts.

Matt Giordano had more INT (5) in his 8 starts last season than Landry has in his 64 starts. He is also a big hitter and has great speed. Giordano very probably can be signed cheaper than Landry

Matt Giordano - Career Highlights - YouTube

Matt Giordano - Superbowl Highlights - YouTube

Giordano doesn't have the basic skills that Landry does. There is a lot more to playing safety than the number of interceptions you have.
Giordano is a journeyman player, mostly a special teamer who has never held a starting job. Before being pressed into duty last year, on his 4th team in 4 years he had 6 career starts in 6 years.
Landry, if healthy, is probowl caliber.

We have always interchanged our safeties and play LS and RS not Free and Strong.
Multiple WR sets being so common kind of negates the difference anyway.
Landry is better S than Nelson, IMO. Health notwithstanding.

True except that Landry is really weak in coverage. Chung is passable but its still not his strong suit. Putting Landry and Chung in in a 4-3 is like running a 4-5 D. If the Pats switch to a 3-4 then they have 7 "LBs" on the field.

I could definitely see them both on the field but you would have no one deep since neither are really good backpedaling so the CBs would have to play the "deep safety" position.

True except that Landry is really weak in coverage. Chung is passable but its still not his strong suit. Putting Landry and Chung in in a 4-3 is like running a 4-5 D. If the Pats switch to a 3-4 then they have 7 "LBs" on the field.

I could definitely see them both on the field but you would have no one deep since neither are really good backpedaling so the CBs would have to play the "deep safety" position.

I dont agree that Landry is weak in coverage.
The defense would be dramatically improved with 16 games of Chung and Landry at S.
They are safeties, not LBs.

Giordano doesn't have the basic skills that Landry does. There is a lot more to playing safety than the number of interceptions you have.
Giordano is a journeyman player, mostly a special teamer who has never held a starting job. Before being pressed into duty last year, on his 4th team in 4 years he had 6 career starts in 6 years.
Landry, if healthy, is probowl caliber.

Wes Welker was also a journeyman before he came to the Pats. LOL at "giordano doesnt have the basic skills that Landry has". I guess you would be more right if you reverse the names. Giordano has great speed, while Landry is a bodybuilder. I dont see how a bodybuilder will improve much the Pats woes against the pass.

When Giordano was pressed into duty, he performed very well, and he displayed his ballhawking skills with 5 INT in 8 games. He will surely be an improvement against the pass over Ihedigbo, Sergio Brown and Landry. And he will come more cheaply than Landry.

Landry ran a 4.35 and he's still only 218lbs now.

WRs and TEs will run circles around against this bodybuilder.

landrygiant0212.jpg

forgot that being pumped after a workout=slow

Yep, apparently being big automatically negates any athletic skill you previously had :bricks:

Wes Welker was also a journeyman before he came to the Pats. LOL at "giordano doesnt have the basic skills that Landry has". I guess you would be more right if you reverse the names. Giordano has great speed, while Landry is a bodybuilder. I dont see how a bodybuilder will improve much the Pats woes against the pass.

When Giordano was pressed into duty, he performed very well, and he displayed his ballhawking skills with 5 INT in 8 games. He will surely be an improvement against the pass over Ihedigbo, Sergio Brown and Landry. And he will come more cheaply than Landry.

Ok so your argument is the guy who has been in the league 7 years playing mostly special teams and starting 14 games has better physical tools than the guy who drafted #6 in the draft and has played at essentially a probowl level before having a couple of injuries?

As far as speed, what we do have is Giordano ran from 4.52-4.58 at his pro day, (hardly great speed) while Landry ran a 4.35 which actually is great speed.

I'm not sure why you feel Giordano who has bounced from 4 teams in 4 years, and only played a combined 14 game sin 09-10 (apparently due to talent not injury) is better than a highly sought after top 10 NFL S, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
You should probably, though, pay more attention to what happens on the football field and less to photoshopped pictures of muscles.

Ok so your argument is the guy who has been in the league 7 years playing mostly special teams and starting 14 games has better physical tools than the guy who drafted #6 in the draft and has played at essentially a probowl level before having a couple of injuries?

As far as speed, what we do have is Giordano ran from 4.52-4.58 at his pro day, (hardly great speed) while Landry ran a 4.35 which actually is great speed.

I'm not sure why you feel Giordano who has bounced from 4 teams in 4 years, and only played a combined 14 game sin 09-10 (apparently due to talent not injury) is better than a highly sought after top 10 NFL S, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
You should probably, though, pay more attention to what happens on the football field and less to photoshopped pictures of muscles.

That picture is not photoshoped.

You should also pay attention to what happens on the football field. We also have Giordano's speed on the field, watch him closing in on speedster Devin Hester in the SB (from 0:34 in the vid) Matt Giordano - Superbowl Highlights - YouTube

Devin Hester run a 4.27 at his pro day, and Giordano closed on him and almost caught him from behind on the football field. (confirmation that hester run 4.27 at his pro day2006 NFL Draft: Pro Day Individual Workouts

He is also a big hitter, the first play on that vid, Giordano makes a big hit and ends the Bears chances of a comeback in the SB. After that SB, he wasnt given a chance to start until last season, when he had 5 INT in 8 games he started. Certainly better than Landry and his 4 INT in 64 career starts.

Highly sought after safety? The Redskins made no effort to bring him back, and signed Brandon Meriweather to replace him. LOL. Even the Redskins valued him less than Meriweather.

Last edited:
That picture is not photoshoped.

You should also pay attention to what happens on the football field. We also have Giordano's speed on the field, watch him closing in on speedster Devin Hester in the SB (from 0:34 in the vid) Matt Giordano - Superbowl Highlights - YouTube

Devin Hester run a 4.27 at his pro day, and Giordano closed on him and almost caught him from behind on the football field. (confirmation that hester run 4.27 at his pro day2006 NFL Draft: Pro Day Individual Workouts

He is also a big hitter, the first play on that vid, Giordano makes a big hit and ends the Bears chances of a comeback in the SB. After that SB, he wasnt given a chance to start until last season, when he had 5 INT in 8 games he started. Certainly better than Landry and his 4 INT in 64 career starts.

Highly sought after safety? The Redskins made no effort to bring him back, and signed Brandon Meriweather to replace him. LOL. Even the Redskins valued him less than Meriweather.

Look, before this turns ugly, I am just going to say that you are welcomed to your opinion, but I disagree with basically all of it.
I think you should find someone other than me to talk about football with because we simply have a 180 degree different outlook on the sport.
Have a wonderful day.

I dont agree that Landry is weak in coverage.
The defense would be dramatically improved with 16 games of Chung and Landry at S.
They are safeties, not LBs.

Think you missed the "LB". Both safeties are best suited to play around the line of scrimmage and both function best when used in the Rodney Harrison role. My point is that they have the same skill set and Landry doesn't excel in coverage especially against WR going deep. It is considered to be his weakest skill.

Think you missed the "LB". Both safeties are best suited to play around the line of scrimmage and both function best when used in the Rodney Harrison role. My point is that they have the same skill set and Landry doesn't excel in coverage especially against WR going deep. It is considered to be his weakest skill.

And I said, I disagree. I am fine with Chung, Landry and Gregory at S.
I saw LB, as I said they are safeties not LBs.

I would rather have a sixth round draft pick who sat on the bench for the first two years than a QB who was draft #5 and took his team to the AFC championship game his first two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes