PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lovie Smith pulling for Colts win

Status
Not open for further replies.
another reason for a payback to Da Bearz...

Come on, some of you are being a wee bit sensitive here. Lovie Smith got his break in the NFL from Tony Dungie, and there also hasn't been a black head coach make the Super Bowl - ever.

If there's anything that you could possibly read between the lines here - it's that maybe he doesn't want to face Belichick in the big game? Can you blame him? Who would? Take is as respect, if you take it as anything at all.

BTW I'm a Bears fan. Good luck in the game Sunday!

Your perspective as a Bears fan is understandable. But no matter how you cut it, and no matter how subtle/"justified" it might seem, this is reverse racism on Smith's behalf. It seems to me that the whole point of the NFL pushing integration into the head coaching ranks was to make the league COLORBLIND, not segregate the black coaches into their own little self-promoting fraternity. It would be more appropriate of coaches like Dungy and Smith and Herm not to emphasize the racial aspect of their accomplishments and leave that for the rest of the world to acknowledge.

Last edited:
Lovie's pulling for the Colts? I hatey Lovey.

And, God forbid, if its the Saints/Colts we'd have a story line of Payton vs Peyton.

I'm hoping we play the Bears and Ditka is forced to wear that dorky sweater that he wore in SBXX.

Lemme get this straight:
Lovie Smith has publicly said that he wants the Colts to win so he can be in the first Super Bowl with two BLACK head coaches. In other words, he doesn't want the Pats to win because BB is WHITE. And that's OK with everybody? I think he's a racist POS and he needs to STFU because it's not going to happen. Not that it matters to me either way, but the two best teams left right now are NO and NE.

You're hilarious. Pathetic and ignorant, but hilarious nonetheless.

I could coach the personnel on that Bears defense to #1 in the league. A Colts-Bears super bowl would be a terrible game, because those are the two worst coaches in the playoffs (besides Herm, who is on his own level).

Speaking of Herm, I had the distinct feelng that he had his Chiefs team lay down just so fellow brother Dungy could move on toward the Super Bowl. In addition, the real danger with this black-coaches-feel-good theme is that if black players on white-coached teams involved start believing in the "feel good" story and begin to play so that the "brother" coach on the other team advances.

Your perspective as a Bears fan is understandable. But no matter how you cut it, and no matter how subtle/"justified" it might seem, this is reverse racism on Smith's behalf. It seems to me that the whole point of the NFL pushing integration into the head coaching ranks was to make the league COLORBLIND, not segregate the black coaches into their own little self-promoting fraternity. It would be more appropriate of coaches like Dungy and Smith and Herm not to emphasize the racial aspect of their accomplishments and leave that for the rest of the world to acknowledge.

It's not reverse racism. It's the natural progression that the NFL goes through as it recovers from years of racism, first at the player level and then at the coach level. Racism (or reverse racism) would be to do what the NFL did in the past -- blatantly or institutionally discriminate against blacks. To call this reverse racism would be like calling rooting for the Americans in the Olympics xenophobia. Dungy, Smith, and Edwards all probably recognize they are symbols of hope to the many blacks who are still suffering from the damage done by racism in years past. (And let's not forget that it's only a year ago that Limbaugh got fired from MNF for making racist comments, comments that were defended by many fans and even some pundits.)

Gee, I wonder what would happen if BB called Sean Payton and said I am pulling for you, so us two "white guys" can meet in the Super Bowl. Amazing the double standard in this country today.

EZ76

The only "double standard" that's relevant is the past history and current conditions in this country that make this a meaningful sociological event.

No , WHEN WE WIN, I want to play the Bears , so we can make a fraud of Lovie... The Saints are a nice story, but its over...
I want a Pats-Bears Super Bowl for two reasons (not counting the obvious reasons why I want the Pats in there):

1. Let the Bears knock out America's Cinderella Team. I don't want the Pats to be the dynasty that crushes America's fantasy for Katrina justice.

2. Revenge, a dish best served cold, for SB XX.

It's not reverse racism. It's the natural progression that the NFL goes through as it recovers from years of racism, first at the player level and then at the coach level. Racism (or reverse racism) would be to do what the NFL did in the past -- blatantly or institutionally discriminate against blacks. To call this reverse racism would be like calling rooting for the Americans in the Olympics xenophobia. Dungy, Smith, and Edwards all probably recognize they are symbols of hope to the many blacks who are still suffering from the damage done by racism in years past. (And let's not forget that it's only a year ago that Limbaugh got fired from MNF for making racist comments, comments that were defended by many fans and even some pundits.)

I disagree. Reverse racism needn't be "institutionalized" to exist, it can be as subtle as an attitude or opinion, or pulling for someone just because he's the same race as yourself. The whole point of the NFL's push for black head coaches is to achieve equality, of creating an environment where race is no longer an issue. In that spirit, Dungy, Smith and Edwards should be downplaying the racial aspect of who and what they are and proceed as if they're simply NFL coaches doing their job in the quest for a championship. The accolades for racial achievement should come from outside those teams and outside the game itself, not these coaches patting themselves and each other on the back.

Whether Limbaugh's comments were, indeed, "racist" is a matter of opinion and legitimately open to interpretation; I don't think his intention was motivated by bigotry. He made those comments on his radio show, not MNF for one thing, and was convicted by the PC police.

Last edited:
Tunescribe, you sort of proved my point with your defense of Limbaugh. It's not bigotry when he says it. LOL. It's interesting that it's you who started this discussion, too, a Limbaugh apologist who is quick to jump on Lovey Smith's back. And are you just assuming that because Dungy and Edwards are black, that they made similar comments? Please post your source.

Also, I don't think Dungy, Smith, and Edwards are playing up this matter -- it's race obsessed people who are. Lovey simply acknowledged a fact that's easily apparent and expressed hope that it happened. It's no different than Irish pride, Jewish pride, Asian pride in the new Red Sox player, etc. And it is of historical significance. I suppose you would have been against Jackie Robinson getting attention for being the first black major league baseball player.

I certainly want the Pats to win, but you can't deny there are other stories, such as two black coaches could be in the superbowl, the superbowl could be a matchup of Peyton v. Peyton, etc. All of these things are interesting, and there's no need for the conservative PC police to tell us it's wrong to notice them.

Gee, I wonder what would happen if BB called Sean Payton and said I am pulling for you, so us two "white guys" can meet in the Super Bowl. Amazing the double standard in this country today. I just hope we maul them bastards come Sunday, so the media can stop with this crap angle, the manning ball washing, and ring deserving. It is time for BB and the Pats to take on this "us against the world mentality" and drive it all the way home. Hopefully, this will give him more "bulletin board" material. Don't worry, believe me, I am sure the Saints will expose the Bears and their coach for the frauds that they are.

EZ76

It is a complete and disgusting double standard. Ther are several thousand double standars in this country when it comes to race. I am not gonna get up on a podium, but c'mon "EBONY" magazine? Could you imagine if there was a "White Lady" magazine. I could go on for days...

You're hilarious. Pathetic and ignorant, but hilarious nonetheless.

Have to disagree with you. See, he hit the nail on the head. Your comments that he is ignorant prove it. It is OK in this country to be a racist when you're black. When colored people are called out for being racist, the response from the black community is that they are ignorant and stupid, as THEY ARE THE ONES WHO DETERMINE WHAT RACISM IS AND WHO IS AND ISN'T RACIST, it is their right.

Stand down.

Lost amidst the racial underpinnings of this statement is the fact that Lovie is basically telling the media that his team WILL beat New Orleans on Sunday. It's not exactly a Namath-ian guarantee, but it's still an absurd comment to make two days before the NFCC. It's the little crap like this that makes you appreciate BB all that much more (if that's even possible)

Tunescribe, you sort of proved my point with your defense of Limbaugh. It's not bigotry when he says it. LOL. It's interesting that it's you who started this discussion, too, a Limbaugh apologist who is quick to jump on Lovey Smith's back. And are you just assuming that because Dungy and Edwards are black, that they made similar comments? Please post your source.

Also, I don't think Dungy, Smith, and Edwards are playing up this matter -- it's race obsessed people who are. Lovey simply acknowledged a fact that's easily apparent and expressed hope that it happened. It's no different than Irish pride, Jewish pride, Asian pride in the new Red Sox player, etc. And it is of historical significance. I suppose you would have been against Jackie Robinson getting attention for being the first black major league baseball player.

I certainly want the Pats to win, but you can't deny there are other stories, such as two black coaches could be in the superbowl, the superbowl could be a matchup of Peyton v. Peyton, etc. All of these things are interesting, and there's no need for the conservative PC police to tell us it's wrong to notice them.

Look, first of all I am neither a Limbaugh fan nor an apologist. But what he said about McNabb was taken out of context and blown out of proportion as an alleged racial attack vs. a controversial opinion/food for discussion. His point, as I recall, was automatically condemned and trampled to death by his overly righteous detractors rather than dissected rationally. Limbaugh might've been wrong, but his point was not a malicious one.

Dungy and Edwards have noted the racially historical aspect of what is happening while Smith is the first, as far as I know, to openly campaign for it. Dungy acknowledged in yesterday's press conference that he has received many letters and calls of encouragement from around the country from those hoping he wins the Super Bowl because of his race. That's fine. And it's totally cool that if either Dungy or Smith win the Super Bowl, the winner is recognized as a pioneer achieving something special. But, I feel that such recognition and emphasis should come from the outside, not from the principals involved. They have a unique opportunity here to demonstrate the league's chosen ethic that all coaches and players should be colorblind.

Last edited:
What a racist bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing