PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Loved the 4 TE set

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What other team, in the history of the game, could line up a powerback like Dillon behind a 4 TE set, where all four are great receivers. Dillon's TD run was behind our four star-in-the-making TEs.

Generally, you're forced to play a backup OT (Grant Williams comes to mind) as an eligible receiver in that kind of situation. And BB has famously used Vrabel in that role in the past. But this year we've got four legitimate, high skill TEs to play that set.

We're going to score a ton of TDs out of that formation this year. A little ball fake, and we the D stumbling over their own feet. Brady is going to have a legitimate target every single time. It's impossible to defend Graham, Watson, Thomas and Mills as eligible receivers and still play an honest run-D against Dillon. Red zone offense is going to shine like never before in Patriots history.

rookBoston said:
It's impossible to defend Graham, Watson, Thomas and Mills as eligible receivers and still play an honest run-D against Dillon. Red zone offense is going to shine like never before in Patriots history.

Great point Rook - ah, the possibilities just make one smile - and a big smile at that...:)

rookBoston said:
It's impossible to defend Graham, Watson, Thomas and Mills as eligible receivers and still play an honest run-D against Dillon. Red zone offense is going to shine like never before in Patriots history.

Considering the run option in those situations, Mills showed a little of his run
blocking ability as he help Dillion get his TD last night. That was sweet.
Also Mills needed to show that lead blocking ability if he to be considered
as a FB as well as a TE.

Last edited:
rookBoston said:
What other team, in the history of the game, could line up a powerback like Dillon behind a 4 TE set, where all four are great receivers. Dillon's TD run was behind our four star-in-the-making TEs.

Generally, you're forced to play a backup OT (Grant Williams comes to mind) as an eligible receiver in that kind of situation. And BB has famously used Vrabel in that role in the past. But this year we've got four legitimate, high skill TEs to play that set.

We're going to score a ton of TDs out of that formation this year. A little ball fake, and we the D stumbling over their own feet. Brady is going to have a legitimate target every single time. It's impossible to defend Graham, Watson, Thomas and Mills as eligible receivers and still play an honest run-D against Dillon. Red zone offense is going to shine like never before in Patriots history.

Ah - its gratifying to know the Patriots coaches read my earlier posts calling for 4 TE sets and heeded my advice!

Seriously, I see this being used in more than Red Zone formations - Thomas and Watson are both mid range threats, and Graham - if he can stay healthy - will have a major opportunity to contribute if D's are keying on the others

All that D scrambling to cover a 4 TE set will also give our WRs the help they need (especially if Branch continues holding hout)

I'd much prefer to have 2 strong WRs stretching the field but 4 TEs can wreak havoc as well

Yep, that Mills block was pivotal on that TD run. Mills may just be a decent blocker after all. If he is then Pass may be gone.

I was having dreams last night about the potential of the Pats 4 TE formation this year. Out of curiosity, say the ball is on the 10 yard line, and the Pats line up in 4 TE's with Dillon as the back, how would a defense defend this formation? Thoughts?

NordicVoyager said:
I was having dreams last night about the potential of the Pats 4 TE formation this year. Out of curiosity, say the ball is on the 10 yard line, and the Pats line up in 4 TE's with Dillon as the back, how would a defense defend this formation? Thoughts?

You and a lot of opposing defensive coordinators from around the league are having the same dream - but they call it a nightmare

I'm no NFL defensive expert but common sense tells me its easier to defend a 4 TE set with a short field at the 10 yard line than it would with a more open field - that's why I tend to think it won't be limited to the red zone only.

Im thinking our RB's Are frothing at the mouth when they think of all those TE's we have to help them get up field.I heard about that and Literally got chills hearing that FOUR Tight Ends were on the line..That is just Electrifying

Patriots4Ever said:
Im thinking our RB's Are frothing at the mouth when they think of all those TE's we have to help them get up field.I heard about that and Literally got chills hearing that FOUR Tight Ends were on the line..That is just Electrifying

Same here, that play hinted at amazing things. The rookies have shown a terrific combination of soft hands and run blocking...it's hard to imagine that there's ever been a deeper TE roster.

Isn't it funny how quickly we've shifted from "they drafted ANOTHER #&!* tight end?" to assuming all four will be game-day actives and on the field together?

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that at the 10 yard line and facing a 4 TE set, defenses would be forced to play soft, not give up the TD. This could result in longer runs to set up the score.

And if we split out Watson, with his speed, and a small corner covering him, oh the possibilities.

On replay I saw Grahambo draw the big block an seal the inside, Thomas had the kickout block (I'll need to run tape to see if it is a DE or LB, but a sweet block indeed), then Mills led tieing up the first defender to get there in pursuit, all Cory needed to do was run over one DB.

I belive it was BSMW gameday grumping that Mills wasn't as prolific as last week. If you ignore the blocking which he really needed to work on, and 16 different receivers making a catch, I guess you could be disappointed. :bricks:

Last edited:
Mills did a good job on the Dillon TD, but didn't impress on some of the other blocks during the game. If they can upgrade his blocking this will be formidiable. I would like to see Graham off the line so he can be placed in motion on running plays, love those wham blocks.

this makes me go numb just thinking about it

This is great,and I agree it will be causing fits for DC's who have to deal with it.Cant wait for the season to start....also,if any of you folks have some thoughts re defensive x and O's against this formation,I would love to hear about them.

isn't it beautiful rook! red zone O was a major let down last year...we just got pushed back on our ass. now we get to hammer them. I'm spending half of my energy right now just trying to stay grounded about the season.

JoeSixPat said:
You and a lot of opposing defensive coordinators from around the league are having the same dream - but they call it a nightmare

I'm no NFL defensive expert but common sense tells me its easier to defend a 4 TE set with a short field at the 10 yard line than it would with a more open field - that's why I tend to think it won't be limited to the red zone only.
In which case Maroney could be the back. Just gives you chills, doesn't it?:)

All this is very good, and I'm really looking forward to the possibilities. I will, however, ask you to recall that the first 2 games of the season are our scrimmages against the Jets and the Bills. After that, on the evening of September 24th, the battle will be joined against the redoubtable Denver Broncos, and I, for one, want more than anything a total, thorough destruction of this team of pretenders from the West.

That's when I want to see all this stuff we're talking about come to fruition, and subsequently displayed weekly, regularly, throughout the rest of the season.

Are you with me, guys (and gals)?????

And imagine if all four plus Corey do pass patterns instead of a running play, that is indeed scary for a defense.

The problem with the 4TE set is that it doesn't stretch the field widthwise all that well. No matter how good the TEs are, I think you will typically have more success with 1-2 WRs pulling CBs and possibly safeties out of the middle.

Oh, and that just made me remember another issue; having no WRs allows the D to have better run stopping personel on the field.

I'm not saying that it can't work if properly used (like in an obvious run where a playfake is used), but I would much rather see a WR on the field if the objective is to keep the D guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down