PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Love thy Binkie - 2009 Draft Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be unfair, in the brief exposure I've had watching his games, a one-legged OL with an arthritic hip can block him. The kid is fast, he's got the size, but he disappears - Cushing, Matthews, and Maiava all put up a better show than he did against Penn State.

Maybe, but you've got to look at the body of work as a whole, and in terms of USC's run defense this year (less than 90ypg I believe), it's impressive, as he has been.

Christ, some of my binkies have already been mentioned (Pascoe, Lane)

Binkies aren't exclusive. After all, there are more football fans than draftable players. ;)

Maybe, but you've got to look at the body of work as a whole, and in terms of USC's run defense this year (less than 90ypg I believe), it's impressive, as he has been.
"USC's" run defense - team defense was outstanding, and yes, Maualuga was part of that. He led the squad with 79 Total Tackles this season, which ties him for 188th in the nation. If you look at the tackle numbers for USC, they had 5 players with 53 or more Total Tackles - team defense.

Rey will be fine in the NFL, he'll have a good career, but he's not playing like a kid whom I want inside alongside Mayo. He's sideline to sideline with little to no downhill.

Go check out Uncle Heatster throwing up an article on the Eagles' Stewart Bradley to make patchick raid her bar before breakfast. That's the kind of kid I want playing alongside Mayo - actually, if I'd gotten my wish, Mayo would have been playing alongside Stew. Damned iggles!

"USC's" run defense - team defense was outstanding, and yes, Maualuga was part of that. He led the squad with 79 Total Tackles this season, which ties him for 188th in the nation. If you look at the tackle numbers for USC, they had 5 players with 53 or more Total Tackles - team defense.

Rey will be fine in the NFL, he'll have a good career, but he's not playing like a kid whom I want inside alongside Mayo. He's sideline to sideline with little to no downhill.

Go check out Uncle Heatster throwing up an article on the Eagles' Stewart Bradley to make patchick raid her bar before breakfast. That's the kind of kid I want playing alongside Mayo - actually, if I'd gotten my wish, Mayo would have been playing alongside Stew. Damned iggles!

Bradley looked great in last weekend's playoff game. He ran to the ball on running plays really well, took on and destroyed blockers all over the place and made a couple of plays in coverage.
he has developed nicely in Philly, he is much more aggressive than he was in college.

Last edited:
Last year's draft was very painful. We did not get Groves, While I think back to all the QB's we played against that left the field with clean jersey's, Manning, Rivers, etc. if there is one play that summarizes the Pats 2008 defense for me, it is 3rd and forever against the Jets, and they make the first down. Would Groves have made a difference in the outcome of that play? Very painful to think about it.

This year I can sum up the player I want really badly in two words: MOUNT CODY!!!!!!!!!!!

If he decides to chase the coin and declare, great. BB draft this kid, please!!!!!!

If Cody decides to stay in school, then you guys get to read me writing about him AND ILB MCCLAIN - all next year.

Last year's draft was very painful. We did not get Groves, While I think back to all the QB's we played against that left the field with clean jersey's, Manning, Rivers, etc. if there is one play that summarizes the Pats 2008 defense for me, it is 3rd and forever against the Jets, and they make the first down. Would Groves have made a difference in the outcome of that play? Very painful to think about it.

This year I can sum up the player I want really badly in two words: MOUNT CODY!!!!!!!!!!!

If he decides to chase the coin and declare, great. BB draft this kid, please!!!!!!

If Cody decides to stay in school, then you guys get to read me writing about him AND ILB MCCLAIN - all next year.

I am not saying the couldn't use an impact OLB but Groves is a head case, at that play Vrabel rushed and the ILB (Guyton) and or Safety (may have been Spann) were late to come over and cover the TE.

For me the plays that define the season are Moss' drops against the Steelers and Gaffney's drop against the Colts.

That and the consistent completions to wide open WRs and TEs.

My wish list is for two positions and 1 guy in particular.

Taylor Mays is a rare athlete. I want a Safety who is 6-3 and 225 and runs 4.3, and any one of Maulauga/Sintim/Lauranitis, but ideally Lauranitis.

The easier way is to trade Matt to KC with SP, take their 1st, a third pick and trade it down like last year to 8-10 and pick Mays. Take the extra third rounder they give us and keep it, and trade our third to move up from #24 to take one of the three ILBs.

I like Lauranitis best because he does everything well and is faster than Maualuga. He is smart, also a film room junkie and that would appeal to Bill Belichick. He also can cover a little bit and Rey doesn't. Jarod showed that speed counts even at ILB. I want to shut down the passes over the middle and Mayo, Lauranitis, Mays and Merriwether ought to do that sweetly. That and be a brick wall against the rush playing behind Warren, Wilfork and Seymour. They always say you build a sound Defense up the middle. I can't think of any better construction bricks. Every one would be a perpetual probowl candidate.

Besides we drafted CBs and OLBs last year to develop, and I'd like to see what we have. We still have a pair of twos and threes to add some more CB and DE/OLB conversion candidates, and a true backup NT.

It shouldn't be forgotten that our "terrible" and poor Defense still finished as the top 10th D. And 8th in points allowed.

If we decide to keep Matt until Tom's health is clear, then I would trade up #24 as far as I could to get Mays (or Moore) and then try to trade the SD #2 up into the end of the first too, and hope an ILB falls. IMHO those are the holes we need to fill, first.

Last edited:

Been very very very impressed with Bradley. I read that article after it was posted by the way - very informative. I'd like to see him do one for Mayo.

So which, if any, ILB's entering the draft do you see as a good partner for Mayo? I've liked what I've seen from Maualuga, and I've been very impressed by Spikes, I also really like Beckwith, but he doesn't seem to have the size for SILB. You can't argue with the production from Scott McKillop either, and he looks to have the physical attributes (about the same size as Mayo but seems stronger at the POA).

Been very very very impressed with Bradley. I read that article after it was posted by the way - very informative. I'd like to see him do one for Mayo.

So which, if any, ILB's entering the draft do you see as a good partner for Mayo? I've liked what I've seen from Maualuga, and I've been very impressed by Spikes, I also really like Beckwith, but he doesn't seem to have the size for SILB. You can't argue with the production from Scott McKillop either, and he looks to have the physical attributes (about the same size as Mayo but seems stronger at the POA).
I like Spikes too, if he declares, he would be the only Day One ILB whom I'd want. The other LBs I'd want to move inside would actually be OLBs: Aaron Curry, Clint Sintim, Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews. *

Curry will probably go too high for NE, if BB was able to grab him I'd expect Curry to work at WLB while Mayo worked at SILB. Cushing is ranked ahead of Sintim by NFL Draft Scout, but I'd prefer Sintim ahead of him so that could be a good thing - I think he's the best SILB prospect in this draft. Cushing's injury history is a concern, but he is the thumper who would be a good SILB fit. Matthews seems to be coming into his own, he needs to bulk up, but he's a good looking youngster.

There are a number of Day Two OLB I'd be interested in too, and a couple Day Two ILB.

*EDIT: I need to point out that those OLBs are more experienced with engaging OL, they've had to learn to use their hands to stack and shed, or swim, or rip, or whichever other technique they might need to redirect an OL to open a rush lane to the QB or shed the OL to reach the RB.

Last edited:

I was heartbroken when I saw that McClain was a sophomore.

Alphonso Smith - CB - Wake forest.

Not only does he play a position of need. Love the way he plays. Great instincts.
Hard to believe. But, he's helped lead their defense to 3 consecutive defeats of
Florida St. Reminds me of Asante Samuel.

I have been looking for a round 3-4 RT/G, I found my man.

Gerald Cadogan, 6-5, 309, 4.99 Penn State

"Cadogan was dominant as a senior. He joined Wisconsin All-American offensive tackle Joe Thomas (2006) as the only offensive linemen in league history to record seven blocking consistency grades of 90% or better in 2008. He led the team with an 89.54% blocking grade, producing 106 knockdowns/key blocks and 23 touchdown-resulting blocks."

3 of the 5 starters on the offensive line are free agents after the 2009 season, I expect a RT/G to be drafted and maybe a C/G.

Last edited:
Binkie= Guy who can do no wrong ignore rest of draft, 58 USC
Binkie= Guy secretly feel they could score with, Chip Vaughn

My Binkie two, two years ago was Greg Jennings, they took Chad Jackson, GB whom we traded up with took Jennings in our spot, some things just are'nt meant to be.

My Binkie two, two years ago was Greg Jennings, they took Chad Jackson, GB whom we traded up with took Jennings in our spot, some things just are'nt meant to be.

Mine was Maurice Jones Drew but the Pats took Maroney.

:'( mine was Jennings as well. And, I know, I think I've had about 1000 posts about it, but I still just get this pit in my stomach whenever I think about that decision.

As for this year, I'm following a lot of others in here..Connor Barwin. I really think he could be a special player.

My Binky's at the first 4 picks are based on them falling to us as follows
#23 Mike Jenkins
#34 Alonso Smith
#47 Sintin
#58 Chung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back