PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Love thy Binkie - 2009 Draft Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to say Heyward-Bey from Maryland but the Pats will never take him at #24 and he won't last long enough to take in the 2nd round. Can't have a Binkie with no potential for ending up on the team.

So I'm going with Michael Johnson from Georgia Tech. If he kills at the combine and won't make it to #24 I'll go elsewhere but I'll stick with him for now.

You can't teach 6'7" (tipped/disrupted passes and blocked kicks) and I think people are underestimating his potential for transitioning to a combo DE/OLB in the Pats 3-4. Dude was recruited as a TE so he has some ability to move in space. If (and it is a big if) the Pats can coach him up and he can add some more functional strength, he could be a monster.

Heck yeah, calf ropers from Fresno State always get a seat at the binkie table.

2107467.jpeg

Well, if he's going to be primarily a blocker, it looks like he's close enough to the correct hair color . . . but his all-important ugly beard potential looks questionable. :)

Re: Love thy Binkie

Want to say Heyward-Bey from Maryland but the Pats will never take him at #24 and he won't last long enough to take in the 2nd round. Can't have a Binkie with no potential for ending up on the team.

So I'm going with Michael Johnson from Georgia Tech. If he kills at the combine and won't make it to #24 I'll go elsewhere but I'll stick with him for now.

You can't teach 6'7" (tipped/disrupted passes and blocked kicks) and I think people are underestimating his potential for transitioning to a combo DE/OLB in the Pats 3-4. Dude was recruited as a TE so he has some ability to move in space. If (and it is a big if) the Pats can coach him up and he can add some more functional strength, he could be a monster.
I watched a recording I made of Miami @ GT and came away with a more favorable impression of Johnson than I had gotten from reading about him. He did drop in coverage on a RB, not to mention two PBU (1 for a pick 6), I also thought he was disruptive in the run game - but it was as a penetrator and not setting the edge. That said, I agree with Ochmed that he and Crable are very similar. I don't know that I'd spend a Day One pick on him as long as Crable is developing. I also have to wonder if any of his reported struggles this season derive from the new DC calling the shots at GT?

2107467.jpeg

Well, if he's going to be primarily a blocker, it looks like he's close enough to the correct hair color . . . but his all-important ugly beard potential looks questionable. :)
Beard? He don't need no stinking beard! He got eyebrows to ugly with!

1357922.jpeg

You're saved, some butt scruff for you!

610x.jpg

I also thought he was disruptive in the run game - but it was as a penetrator and not setting the edge.

Saw the same thing and it is a worry. He has shown the speed and leverage of a top pass rusher but either didn't use/doesn't have a bull rush. Same for the running game, but I'll give him a pass here because very few teams ask their stud DEs to engage blocks and seal the edge.

That said, I agree with Ochmed that he and Crable are very similar. I don't know that I'd spend a Day One pick on him as long as Crable is developing.

If you could draft Ed Reed, would you spend 2 seconds checking your depth chart at safety? Particularly at linebacker for the Pats, you can't have enough good young talent. If Johnson projects as an OLB in the Pats scheme and his deficiencies (strength, motor) are fixable, I don't see how you can pass on him. I know that if he is sliding into the 20's on draft day, it will be exactly like 2004 with Wilfork for me.

I also have to wonder if any of his reported struggles this season derive from the new DC calling the shots at GT?

IMO the Tech defense this year just wasn't very good. Same dynamic with Will Moore playing for a pathetic Missouri defense.

If you could draft Ed Reed, would you spend 2 seconds checking your depth chart at safety? Particularly at linebacker for the Pats, you can't have enough good young talent. If Johnson projects as an OLB in the Pats scheme and his deficiencies (strength, motor) are fixable, I don't see how you can pass on him. I know that if he is sliding into the 20's on draft day, it will be exactly like 2004 with Wilfork for me.
Nope, he's your binkie, but bad analogy: Ed Reed was a Free Safety drafted to play Free Safety. Further, he was the #1 FS with a stock rising arrow for NFL Draft Scout when I check their archives. Johnson is their #3 DE, that makes him a nice prospect, but one who still needs to transition to a new position at the next level. I like the kid, but OLB is lower on my needs list and nothing I've seen or read makes him a sure All-Pro OLB - not the way I expect BB to spend his 1st round pick.

Last edited:
I don't want to box it in, a binkie can be any player that you think would be a great fit for the Patriots or is generally likable.

This is a player whose career you will follow for years, when their name comes up you will say:

"Damn I wish we drafted that guy"
or
"Thank god I am not the GM, I would have drafted that guy"

This is a great explanation as patchick noted

section 1: Greg Jennings...I go to bed every night wishing I was BB and/or Pioli that day

section 2: David Terrell...I thank God every night I wasn't BB and/or Pioli that day

I have "anti-binkies" too - highly rated players that I don't want, no matter what.

1. James Laurinaitis - overhyped, not suited for 3-4 ILB
2. Rey Maualuga - overhyped, no instincts, no lateral mobility
3. Vontae Davis - great physical skills but doesn't play consistently
4. Brian Cushing - see Vontae Davis; injury prone
5. Michael Johnson - see Vontae Davis; not suited for 3-4 ILB
6. Darius Heyward-Bey - see Vontae Davis; Chad Jackson II

Some are other people's binkies - no offense intended. JMHO.

Much as I hate the land thieves...

Nic Harris - Oklahoma Safety. He's a real strong safety beast.

Also...

James Casey - Rice Tight End. The kid can do EVERYTHING.

Phillip Hunt - Houston DE. I know, I know, another OLB conversion prospect. But he's good.

Brian Orakpo - Texas DE. He'll be off the board before we pick, but he's more than a workout warrior. He's a dominating pass rusher.

Last edited:
btw you may wanna edit this to read 2009 ;)

Almost forgot, this guy was a bull last year. Absolutely destoyed people in short yardage situations.

The FB has gone the way of the dodo but you got to love em...

Jorvorskie Lane, FB, Texas A&M
6'0 - 278 = Bowling ball coming straight down hill at you.

Nope, he's your binkie, but bad analogy: Ed Reed was a Free Safety drafted to play Free Safety. Further, he was the #1 FS with a stock rising arrow for NFL Draft Scout when I check their archives. Johnson is their #3 DE, that makes him a nice prospect, but one who still needs to transition to a new position at the next level. I like the kid, but OLB is lower on my needs list and nothing I've seen or read makes him a sure All-Pro OLB - not the way I expect BB to spend his 1st round pick.

You missed my point. Ed Reed went #24 :D in 2002. He was the 12th defensive player taken, 4th DB taken and 2nd safety taken. I'm sure safety wasn't a priority for the teams that passed on Reed, but all of them except Tennessee (Haynesworth) would like a do-over.

Not saying that I think the Pats will evaluate him as a transcendent player (in fact, I would bet that they won't) but his physical skills make that at least a consideration. So like Reed, I think Johnson should get evaluated on his own merits without considering team needs or depth chart.

Johnson is solidly in binkie status and definitely not in the "can't miss" category...but my hack scouting talents tell me that with some solid coaching he can be a unique talent in the league. You can get additional insight from me at http://www.hackscoutingreports.com. Al Davis swears by it. Or swears at it. Sometimes it is hard to tell.

Rashad Johnson, FS, Alabama, 6'0" 190 4.50

Not a physical freak like Mays, but has reputation for outstanding football IQ & leadership, plus well-rounded game with good ball skills. Smart, Saban-coached senior should be the "readiest" safety in the draft.

I'm with you on Johnson, unless Sanders and/or Harrison is resigned. Then I'd have to go with a OLB/DE like Larry English or Clint Sintim

Re: Love thy Binkie - 2008 Draft Edition

btw you may wanna edit this to read 2009 ;)

Right-o, done! Just as well it's not 2008, the "Quentin Groves" thing is getting old by now. :)

Christ, some of my binkies have already been mentioned (Pascoe, Lane)

Okay, I'll have a go:

Patrick Chung, SS, Oregon. LOVE this kid. Intangibles, leadership, production, physical attributes, ST's ace - what's not to like?

Marko Mitchell, WR, Nevada. Quick for his size, could be a fine player on the outside.

Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa. I don't care if we need a running back or not. If he's there at the back end of round 2 and especially in round 3, we need to take a long hard look at Corey Dillon v2.0. The best running back on show so far in all of the Bowl games.

Reshard Langford, SS, Vanderbilt. Prototypical size, production. Could do with lowering that 40 time though.

You missed my point. Ed Reed went #24 :D in 2002. He was the 12th defensive player taken, 4th DB taken and 2nd safety taken. I'm sure safety wasn't a priority for the teams that passed on Reed, but all of them except Tennessee (Haynesworth) would like a do-over.

Not saying that I think the Pats will evaluate him as a transcendent player (in fact, I would bet that they won't) but his physical skills make that at least a consideration. So like Reed, I think Johnson should get evaluated on his own merits without considering team needs or depth chart.

Johnson is solidly in binkie status and definitely not in the "can't miss" category...but my hack scouting talents tell me that with some solid coaching he can be a unique talent in the league. You can get additional insight from me at http://www.hackscoutingreports.com. Al Davis swears by it. Or swears at it. Sometimes it is hard to tell.
Based on watching him in one game, I'm as confident as I can be that you're right about his talent. That said, it's still a difficult projection from DE to 3-4 OLB or 4-3 SLB. Depending on his Senior Bowl and Combine, he may rise, but if he slides into the second round, I'd be more inclined to weight the scale towards taking him.

I feel the same way about Connor Barwin, and he's the closest thing to a binkie I've got going this season.

Now I'll go see what kind of hack you are. ;)

To be fair, that didn't work much for USC's opponents this year.
To be unfair, in the brief exposure I've had watching his games, a one-legged OL with an arthritic hip can block him. The kid is fast, he's got the size, but he disappears - Cushing, Matthews, and Maiava all put up a better show than he did against Penn State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes