PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Love the win, Love Cassel, this defense isnt good enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting more satisfaction watching this team go 7-4 and seeing Matt Cassel develop than i did watching the end of last year.

But the Patriots arent going far with this defense. 10-6 and an early exit from the playoffs will be a terrific accomplishment. If BB can get the D to turn it up in December then maybe we can dream for more.

Such insight. :rolleyes:

Are people really going to defend the defense? I agree.

Good win, I love to see what Cassel would be doing if this D was worth a ****. We'd be the best team in the AFC. It just sucks our defense can't get it done.

In 11 games, the D looks the same. If anything, they're getting worse. This D is going to cost them, it needs to improve period. They aren't making stops on 3rd down, they aren't protecting leads, etc.

The offense will not always be this good. The defense needs to get with it or get lost.

The pass defense is horrible. The 3rd down defense is horrible. The red zone defense is horrible. The run defense is good, though. That's one bright spot.

We knew what was on the cards as soon as the defensive injuries starting wreaking havoc and our free agents left.

Whilst it's bloody frustrating to watch some of the plays executed against us, we're 7-4 and the offense is finding it's feet.

We've been in positions to win every game this year bar 1. Penalties aside, we could easily be 9-2, but we're not so deal with it.

The defense is a work in progress. Pull your heads out of your arses and realise that.

The pass defense is horrible. The 3rd down defense is horrible. The red zone defense is horrible. The run defense is good, though. That's one bright spot.

went through this thread and this is my sentiment as well...

Agreed. But the D has been hit with three key injuries, lost its top CB from last year and have a number of young guys rotating in. Give the D a bit of time to gel. Hopefully they do so before the playoffs start, if they get there.

Agreed. But the D has been hit with three key injuries, lost its top CB from last year and have a number of young guys rotating in.
It is very young, it's not necessarily their fault - but they still suck :D You're right that things COULD get better but it seems unlikely. Really too bad Wheatley got hurt.

Considering the injuries and the free agent losses I just dont think they have the horses to be a dominant defense. They have some pretty unproven guys in some key spots at LB and especially among the DBs. That said I think they can improve and be better than they have been. There is no excuse for the poor play of their red zone defense and 3rd down defense which is cleary the weak spot on their team now as they are at the bottom of the NFL.

I was disapointed in the defense today, but with the Pats' offense I don't think there is anyone in the NFL the Pats can't beat with possibly the exception of the Giants assuming they can click like they are. Every team in the AFC has their signifcant flaws. Every team in the NFC except the Giants have significant flaws. The field is wide open.

In other years, the defense would clearly be the death nail in this team. This year though, I don't know if it is.

I think the Pats can match up well with the Titans, Ravens, and the Steelers because the run defense is pretty good. It will be a shoot out with the Jets, Colts, or Broncos though. Granted the Broncos are only in playoff competition talk by default because they are clearly one and done no matter who they play.

asterix_the_falling_sky.jpg

You have got alot of gaul <sic>!!!

I felt the same way after this game. Matt Cassel had me thinking he was Tom Brady out there. The efficiency of the offense was very reminiscent of 2007. The defense however is very poor. The secondary is clearly the elephant in the room here. So in order to mask it come playoff time the DL is gonna have to step it up big time when it comes to getting after the QB. We have to limit the time they have to stand back there & carve up our DBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back