Welcome to PatsFans.com

Louisiana mayor's death stirs furor

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 4 / -6

Something's awfully rotten in Westlake, Louisiana.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070106/ap_on_re_us/mayor_s_death_2

WESTLAKE, La. - In the hours before his death on the evening of Dec. 30, the first black mayor of this overwhelmingly white town started learning his new job.

About noon, he set City Hall's alarm system for the first time. He got instructions on how to raise and lower the U.S. flag. He had already ordered a new mayoral letterhead with his name on it and a button-down shirt embroidered "Gerald Washington, Mayor."

A few hours later he indulged in a hobby, placing a $4 bet at a nearby horse racing track.

But by 10 p.m. Gerald "Wash" Washington was dead in the deserted parking lot of a former high school, a bullet wound in his chest. His gun was found by the body.
  2. italia44

italia44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OKKKKKKKKKKKK...........80% Caucasian,
    20% Minority........Southern Town...........His Gun nearby.......hmmmmm.........must be some white cracker......hmmmm.....James Earl Ray-Dead,
    Vice President Cheney-nah....only shotguns.
    President Bush......maybe.....but he's busy with Iraq crisis..........let's see.....how 'bout those 3 crackers from Duke Univ.......yea,that'll work.

Brilliant deduction,Patters....that's why you're 'da
    moderator.....now,if you can get Holy Diver workin' up one of his Conspiracy concoctions,
    you could win this years Tawana Brawley Award for Liberal White Guilt.

Go for it Patters.......we're pullin' for ya!
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

Doesn't make much difference if it is Louisiana or Massachusetts, maybe here they do not shoot you. Gerry Callahan has done a pretty good job politically assassinating Deval Patrick.. any black mayor or governor gonna need pretty thick skin or body armor. That is why I think any discussion of people like Condaleeza Rice or Barack Obama running for Prez is pretty much a joke.
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +186 / 4 / -6

Hope you're not a detective, italia44, if you were able to conclude that it must be a suicide based on the info in the article. Tell us what you found in the article that convinced you that it must be a suicide.

Here's more on the story:

http://www.kplctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5882514&nav=0nqx

"They are handling this in a sloppy manner," says Germaine Washington Broussard. Broussard and her brother, Geroski Washington, made it clear at the sheriff's news conference they were unhappy with the investigation into their father Gerald Washington's death. Broussard says, "As the sheriff said, no fingerprints were taken. The truck was released. This has been sloppy and a slap in the face to my father for everything he has done for Westlake." Sheriff Tony Mancuso says, "You can process a crime scene in ten hours. You can process it in one hour. Some crime scenes are difficult. Others are easy."

The two accused investigators, including their father's long time friend Chief Deputy Stitch Guillory, of rushing to judgement in ruling the death a suicide within four hours of the investigation. A tearful Guillory said, "I spent a lot of time with Gerald. He was my friend. I would never let a cover up happen. The facts speak for themselves."

Broussard and Washington believe their father was lured to the old Mossville School where his body was found Saturday night. Washington says, "He was lured by someone he trusted. It was an isolated and dark place. The only reason my father went was because it was someone he knew." Mancuso says, "We have rumors. We have theories. We don't have anything tangible to show that." A cousin in law said, "He was rising up in the world. There is nothing to indicate suicide." Broussard says, "They say everyone loved Wash. They assumed that. No one has talked to any friends."

Family members say Washington had received hate mail and threats on his life. Mancuso told relatives and media his office was not finished with the investigation, but because of the family's dissatisfaction with the results so far, he offered to turn the case over to state police to continue the search for answers.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +539 / 2 / -9

"Black Mayor in overwhelmingly WHITE town" Thats a racist statement.

I would never have been allowed to make a post that said "White Mayor in overwhelming BLACK town"

Your statement is already placing the blame for this shooting on "Bad Whitey"

Unbelieveable.

It will vanish from the news if a "Brother" did the shooting if a "White Mother F-cker" did it, we will have to go through another Sharpton/Jackson Circus.

THIS THREAD IS LOCKED IF YOU WOULD LIKE IT REOPENED SEE NEM
    HARRY BOY
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +186 / 4 / -6

Actually Harry (and italia44) I did not bring up race in my comments. I'm letting the facts as presented in the article speak for themselves. Obviously from your comments, you're as aware as I am that there's potentially a racial component to this story. It may not be racism, but it certainly doesn't appear to be suicide. Why didn't the police get fingerprints? Why was the truck released? Why does someone who appears to have a perfectly normal and positive day suddenly kill himself? Do a lot of people really kill themselves by shooting themselves in the chest? And why are you guys so quick to play the race card? The first question that needs to be answered is, Was it a suicide?
  7. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +91 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

This is a prime example of the race baiting that goes on from the left.

Deval Patrick is a POS no matter if he is white or black.
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +539 / 2 / -9

He is also a RACIST.
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +539 / 2 / -9

The Race Card ? "Black Mayor In Overwhelmingly White Town" The Race Card?
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

Based on what, all I know is sometimes in the AM waiting for the 10-2 slot and Callahan is beating the crap out of him. I do not know the actual issues except that he is berating the hell out of him. If he is so bad how did he get elected??
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +186 / 4 / -6

So, you're accusing the newspaper report of race baiting? You don't think it's relevant that the mayor is black, the town is white? You think that info should be left out of the article? Okay, that's fine, but they didn't leave it out of the article, so we form our opinions based on the facts. Does it sound like a suicide to you?
  12. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +91 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

He is beating him up for his stances on immigration, education, abortion and his obvious corruption before he even took office.

I have no idea, Liberal angst, maybe?
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +539 / 2 / -9

Of course it's not suicide and there is a good chance that the killer is white, but is it even possible in "The Liberal World" that a black person could have pulled the trigger, will the newspapers investigate this guy to find out if he was mixed up in anything and if he was, will they tell us or will they treat him like the guy with the "money in the freezer".

Don't worry, if the shooter is white you will hear about it, it will be in the news for months, front page, if the shooter is black, used car section, one day.

And you bet the Newspaper was "race baiting", after reading their story black people all across the country now think "whitey did it".
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +186 / 4 / -6

Harry, there is a small subset of liberals who will say the guy was a victim of white racists, but it's possible that he could have been a criminal, murdered by his wife, killed by a mugger, etc. It's even possible the newspaper left out some key info supporting the theory that the guy committed suicide.

The point is the whole story stinks, and it appears the police, in the best case, did a bad job and in the worst case covered something up. Certainly, racism is one possibility, but what makes the story curious is there are many possibilities, including incompetence, corruption, racism in terms of the murder, racism in terms of the police investigation, suicide, etc.

I'm not ready to accuse a town that's 80% white and elected a black mayor of racism, but I'm not going to exclude that possibility given that Louisiana is a state where not too long ago David Duke, a blatant racist, received 55% of the white vote, despite the Republican Party's active effort to distance itself from him.
  15. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

You don't really need to be a conspiracy buff to imagine that this is more then a suicide. For anyone whoever has lived in or near Louisiana knows that it is by far the most corrupt piece of territory in the United States. You may read the history of Gov. Long or Edwards or maybe you've read about the police force whose lowly salary is boosted with bribes from top to bottom. Currently, they are estimating $2 billion in waste from fraud concerning Katrina. These are examples that make the news versus the day to day corruption that is the way of life. A black mayor is shot and some question whether its' a suicide, surprise, surprise.
  16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +539 / 2 / -9

It isn't suicide, it isn't suicide, but if this guy was mixed up in anything crooked and if this guy was killed by a black person IT WILL BE CALLED SUICIDE and the story will be dropped.

If this guy was killed by a "White Person" it will be front page news for weeks, Sharpton and Jessie Jackoff will be leading the Funeral Parade, Auntie Pelosi will order all Flags to be flown at Half Staff, schools will close, Cute Perky Katie will set herself on fire during her evening news show for the 23 people in the country that watch her.
  17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

Exactly. Anyone who disagree's with free'em all Deval is a racist. Ha! Too funny. Just like anyone that doesn't wany their country overrun by this illegal invasion is one too. Totally pathetic.
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

Are you that slow? Callahan is a right wing Repub. He bleeds GOP. Do you think he would complimant Tom Reilly were he elected? Of course not. The guy got elected cuz of "diversity". Too funny. When the state starts giving illegals licenses, medical care, and free tuition, and taxes and feees rise beyond anything we've ever seen before, lets see who likes "diversity" so much.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

Exactly. Do any of you know how many people are murdered in that state? It has the highest, or one of the highest rates of murder in the country. The place is a dump, and the blank check our sailor president sent them is being spent on booze, drugs, and breast implants.
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

Guess I am that slow, so you are saying that his issues are illegals and taxation, and that got him elected. I don't know a lot about him, there is enough to follow here in RI and enough going on nationally I don't follow every single candidate.

Not sure about the diversity issue, Mass is about 79% white, 11% Hispanic, 9% Black and 4% asian according to census figures. That means probably every person of spanish and black descent voted and about 12% of the white folks votes for him. Highly unlikely, but I am that slow.. lets see you called me dumb last week.