Welcome to PatsFans.com

Lottery winner on food stamps: ‘I thought maybe it was okay because I’m not working’

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +900 / 7 / -3

What a $#%'in country.

Lottery winner on food stamps: ‘I thought maybe it was okay because I’m not working’

While most people have played the “if I had a million dollars I would ____ ” thought game, few fill that blank in with “stay on public assistance.”

Amanda Clayton, a 24-year-old from Lincoln Park, Michigan, is one of the few who does, and she is getting away with it. Clayton won $1 million from the Michigan State Lottery this fall, but she is still collecting and using $200 a month in food assistance from the taxpayers with her Michigan Bridge Card.

“I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn’t, I thought maybe it was okay because I’m not working,” the lottery winner who just purchased a new house and car told Local 4 in Detroit. The station even filmed her shamelessly purchasing goods.

When Local 4 asked if she felt she had a right to the money, Clayton responded, “I mean I kinda do.”

Lottery winner on food stamps:

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +578 / 22 / -19

Re: Lottery winner on food stamps: ‘I thought maybe it was okay because I’m not worki

That is a story about a really stupid person. Watch the video.

There are a lot of people out there like that. What do we do about them?

Obviously, the food stamp program needs to fix a loophole. Perhaps lottery winners simply escape notice.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +817 / 27 / -33

Re: Lottery winner on food stamps: ‘I thought maybe it was okay because I’m not worki

She should pay back whatever she got.. and her benefits should be severed henceforth..

There is a provision about assets in any of these programs, and you cannot just liquidate them to receive a benefit.. even subsidy for a nursing home and there used to be a 5 year waiting period.

4. Real World

Ratings:
    +900 / 7 / -3

They hand freebies out to virtually everyone these days. This entire country is broken. You guys see the video? The woman didn't win $1 million. After she took the lump sum and paid taxes, she "only" got over $500k. Plus, she isn't working and she has 2 houses to pay for. Have a heart people.

5. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Send em to Drewski's Exile Island.....

6. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

OT: the lottery shouldn't be permitted to advertise in nominal dollars or pre-state tax, imo -- it should be the lump sum payout, net of state taxes, that they can advertise (a minor pet peeve, but also something I think is fundamentally dishonest on behalf of the state)

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

Go get em Girl, Aunt Zucchini and Uncle Omar have been f-cking the taxpayers for years, good luck, buy a new Cadillac.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +817 / 27 / -33

No one defended her.. what are you talking about.

When I read about this that idiot Richard Hatch comes to mind.. he is still in and out of prison for his stupidity.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  9. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

Way to keep your eyes on the prize, harry. How much have we pissed away (almost literally) in Iraq and Afghanistan, versus how much wasted on 2 of Obama's relatives?

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

I know, I thought that would all stop 4 years ago, so did a lot of other people, we just paid for a brand new Soccer Field for the Head Hunters in Gitmo so they won't be bored.

11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

OT: I'm actually talking about the money that has gone "missing." At least there are arguments for the money (and lives) spent on the wars.

I don't know how much of that has occurred in the past 3 years.

Regardless, your focus is still on 2 individuals. Wonder why...

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +900 / 7 / -3

I have posted about the lottery a few times in here. It's another joke. I agree with you for the most part. Worse is how the lottery allows the government to monopolize gambling, while the average citizen has their home poker game raided. Ever seen who buys lots of scratch tickets, or play Keno? It's the people on the lower end of the financial totum pole. I see so many of my subsidized tenants with scratch tickets in their pockets when they come in and say they can't pay this months rent. But anyway...

To be fair, the prize in this case is a thread about freeloaders, which Auntie Zuchinni and Uncle Omar certainly are. I think bringing up Iraq and Afghanistan in a thread about a domestic freeloader is the real reach with respect to this specific thread. That's not to say that either isn't, or hasn't been a colossal waste of resources. It's just that it reads as if we not allowed to talk about people like this lottery winner, or illegal alien, public housing living Auntie Zuchinni, because of them.

13. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +578 / 22 / -19

What is the solution?What do we do with the lazy bums and those who chronically find ways to abuse the system? What do we do with stupid people who don't even realize that giving up the disability check is the way out of poverty? In my opinion, the real solution is workfare for everyone who gets benefits, but it will cost the taxpayer much more because of the infrastructure needed to make it happen and the cost of employing the unemployable. The alternative, doing less, just leads to more crime, police, courts, and prisons.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +900 / 7 / -3

Clearly the push for more government programs, handouts, and assistance is doing a great job of instilling society with a solid work ethic, and a fundamental belief in personal accountability.

15. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

yup

To be clear, I have no problem with the thread.

But this thread wasn't about Obama's relatives any more than it was about the giveaways in Iraq and Afghanistan (again, I wasn't bringing up the wars, per se -- I was referring to the collosal giveaways there). But of course harry goes there, b/c they're Obama's relatives and because they're black and maybe even -- gasp! -- Muslim.

16. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

But workfare, rather than welfare, actually does those things -- well, it strives to, anyway.

Maybe it's something that is a short-term investment in a longer term gain?

17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We tell them to shut the bleep up and get themselves a bleeping job.

But, unfortunately, what people like you do is just give them more and more and more money and entitlements and money and free health care and money.

18. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +459 / 12 / -14

We let them vote for Obama since they are citizens (sometimes) even though they are moochers......:D

Not just the food stamp program ALL government programs......;)

19. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +151 / 20 / -17

I stopped at a mobile on the run the other day & the girl in front of me
    in line purchased two pack's of cigarettes with a EBT card.

After the girl left, I asked the cashier if they were allowed to buy
    smokes with EBT cards.

He told me that everyone buys cigarettes with EBT cards.

Nice to see out tax money going to $7 of $8 a pack for cigarettes.

I thought they were going to change the law on EBT abuse last year.
    If they did change the law, it is not being enforced.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  20. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,046 / 15 / -9

You know what? Eff that. It should be annuity payments w/only minimal lump sum, like, up to 10% in lump sum.

I mean, what do you think her number is?

ING Commercial - YouTube

What do you think happens if there's surprisingly nothing left of the 500K?

Yeah that.

PFnV