PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Lots of Dollars, Not much sense in some early deals" By Vic Carucci

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianPat'sFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I was reading this article on NFL.com but do not really agree with all of his points especially his take on the Cassel trade.

Lots of dollars, not much sense in some early deals

His first point centers around Haynesworth and the amount of money he got from the Redskins and how it was not worth it. Well watching the NFL the last two seasons he was the most dominating defensive lineman in the NFL and was in the running for defensive MVP both years. When he is in the lineup, he demands so much attention and without him the Titans defense was totally different. Vic brings up his character issues aka the Cowboys incident but the last two season he has been a mode NFL player with tremendous productions. While I really do not think he is worth that money the landscape has been paved with Tommy Kelly huge contract last year and Haynesworth is fifty times better then him.

His second point is what really gets me, while I agree if we had of waited a week or two I think we could have gotten more out of Cassel but we did turn a seventh round pick into a top pick in round two. Add to this the cap space we saved by trading Cassel and Vrable makes this deal alright in my mind. As said many time before BB drafted a QB in the third last year so he was prepared to go into 2009 without Cassel on the roster. Now he has #34 in the draft and was able to unload a expensive vet in the process. Weather he needed the cap space to sign free agents or for a trade in BB we trust.

His third point centers around "The Eagles letting Dawkins become a free agent, which resulted in his signing with the Broncos and created a gaping hole in Philadelphia's defense"

Where does he not understand that at 36 y/o he was at the end of his career. I think the Eagles are going to covet Dalmus as much as we do and will target him in the draft. While I agree that Sean Considine is not the answer I really do not think the price to hold on to Dawkins was acceptable to the Eagles.

His fourth point is why the Redskins paid the big buck to D. Hall (He must not know their history). He talks about him being a cancer to both Atlanta and Oakland but both of those teams were bad before Hall came along so to hang it all on him is ridiculous. Washington has had Hall for the final 7 games of the 08 season so I think they would know if he was going to be a cancer or maybe turn the corner in his life (no pun intended). I still cannot believe he is only 25 y/o and with big Albert putting pressure on the QB I think he could get 7+ int next season.

His final point is about how Denver was shopping Cutler around and how it has damaged McDanials relationship with Cutler. Well I am not sure we have the full story about this whole situation and hope more comes out about it in the coming weeks. McDaniels knows Cassel so I could see him wanting to start his team with a QB he has had a relationship with since he came in the league. While I was a bit surprised Cutler's name was involved on the Trade Block, the NFL is a business and anything can happen in order to win. If that trade had of gone through than it would have been a blockbuster but it did not so lets move on. What does he think Cutler is going to demand a trade now because his feelings were hurt???

Just my thoughts on the article, it was pretty funny how I was on the other side of the fence on all of these issues.

Last edited:
His column title is corny as all hell

From what I've read, there were other suitors willing to shell out the $$$$ for Haynesworth. Believe it or not-the Giants offered him $80m. Tampa offered him $100m as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes