PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lots of believers on this team...

Just to clarify... I never ignored Brady's obvious sins. I mentioned them in this thread before you brought them up, shmessy. What I said was that we ALL sin, and it's how one ultimately deals with his/her sins that is most important.

I was mighty ripped and disgusted with him at the time, FWIW. But then I realized the above, the sins I commit, and that, to paraphrase Scripture, I was angry about the speck in his eye while ignoring the moat in my own.

And his actions since then have been very good... he manned up, took full responsibility, and by all accounts is an involved dad.

Just to clarify... I never ignored Brady's obvious sins. I mentioned them in this thread before you brought them up, shmessy. What I said was that we ALL sin, and it's how one ultimately deals with his/her sins that is most important.

I was mighty ripped and disgusted with him at the time, FWIW. But then I realized the above, the sins I commit, and that, to paraphrase Scripture, I was angry about the speck in his eye while ignoring the moat in my own.

And his actions since then have been very good... he manned up, took full responsibility, and by all accounts is an involved dad.

Really? This is the 21st century. Stop with the silly sins talk.

Okay... there are no sins? Murder? Sleeping with another mans wife? Stealing?

Your favorite Patriot must be Aaron Hernandez.

1081.gif

Does not bother me when they get their religious shout outs ...

"Murder... screwing your neighbors wife... stealing... yeah, that's all cool. What's not cool is anyone saying its not cool." :D

"Murder... screwing your neighbors wife... stealing... yeah, that's all cool. What's not cool is anyone saying its not cool." :D

1081.gif

That's fine if you only care about what your favorite football player does on the field and you don't care what a football player does off the field. However, remember that some people care about what these football players do ON and OFF the field

There are some people that want a good football player on their team who also happens to believe in God, be a good role model etc. On the other hand, there are some people that just want their favorite football player to play football really well and don't care about anythingelse. Simply put different people look for different things and values different in their favorite football players.

Off the field: "good role model" I understand and agree with. Not just for being a role model, but I find it easier to root for a guy who seems like a good guy. (The "seems like" is an important qualifier to always keep in mind, though, particularly going to the role model part.)

But why do you (or anybody else) want a player to believe in god? Or, perhaps by extension, be any particular religion? Why does any of that matter?

Shemessy I am not ignoring the truth. I never stated that all of Tom Brady's actions were in line with the teachings of the church. I never even said that he has represented his faith in all of his past actions. Because the truth is Tom has not did everything by the teachings of the church. Yes, oldrover shouldn't have said Tom's actions shows he's a man of faith because as we all know that is not true. However, I think oldrover means well and was trying to say Tom believes in God and considers himself a catholic. Yeah oldrover pushed the envelope a little. Tom Brady clearly did wrong by having a baby out of wedlock and leaving Bridget when she was pregnant, no doubt. I would like to think Tom has asked God for forgiveness for his past mistakes and hopefully will try to lead a life that is more in line with the faith. Since Tom feels his faith is important to him. Nevertheless, since the Bridget fiasco it seems like he is living more in line with his faith. Thus, I say God bless him and hope he keeps up the good work.

fwiw, I don't think Brady necessarily "did wrong"

We don't know anything about their relationship, except that they were 2 consenting adults. From what I can tell, he has stayed in the child's life to the extent possible given his career and, now, his own wife and family.

I disagree with you in just one respect: Christians should not be forced to keep their beliefs to themselves. Well, maybe on this forum, but certainly not in this country, generally. And certainly we would not be better off if that were the case, for if they didn't make their beliefs known, we wouldn't know how stupid and dangerous they are.

You think slinging around insults here makes you safer and more intelligent? It really isn't working out that way.

Murder and stealing are wrong because they harm others / infringe upon their rights, not because they are "sins."

Sleeping with another man's wife? Far more of a transgression by the wife than the man she sleeps with, imo, but -- like murder and stealing -- can more or less be covered by the golden rule. (The golden rule, btw, is probably a better guide to living a decent life than anything else, imo, including the 10 commandments.)

You do know that the 'golden rule' is from Christ, right? And what He says preceding it is that you shall love your God with all your heart and soul and mind and strength?

I don't think having a child while not married is a "sin"...this is the 21st century grow up. Do you believe that swearing is a sin too? What are you 10?

You do know that the 'golden rule' is from Christ, right? And what He says preceding it is that you shall love your God with all your heart and soul and mind and strength?

1) "You do know that the 'golden rule' is from Christ, right?"

Ummm.....you may want to educate yourself about that timeline:

Golden Rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

2) "what He says preceding it is that you shall love your God with all your heart and soul and mind and strength?"

If he said that, Rover, he was QUOTING Deutoronomy 6:4.

I don't think having a child while not married is a "sin"...this is the 21st century grow up. Do you believe that swearing is a sin too? What are you 10?

I know you directed the post at oldrover, but I thought I would chip in.

In the Christian/Catholic faith having a child out of wedlock is a sin. If you go to any Catholic/Christian Church in America the word "sin" is a common word even in the 21st century. It has nothing to do with age of the person. It has to do with a set of subscribed beliefs within the Christian/Catholic faith. Within those subscribed beliefs having a child out of wedlock is a no no.

Deuteronomy 23:2 No one born of a forbidden union may enter the assembly of the Lord. Even to the tenth generation, none of his descendants may enter the assembly of the Lord.

Hmmmm... should I believe hundreds of learned Biblical scholars... St. Ignatius, St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinas.... or this guy Double TE on the bulletin board? Tough call LOL

1) "You do know that the 'golden rule' is from Christ, right?"

Ummm.....you may want to educate yourself about that timeline:

Golden Rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

2) "what He says preceding it is that you shall love your God with all your heart and soul and mind and strength?"

If he said that, Rover, he was QUOTING Deutoronomy 6:4.

Wikipedia? Seriously? LOL

Beside that, what's your point?

Murder and stealing are wrong because they harm others / infringe upon their rights, not because they are "sins."

Sleeping with another man's wife? Far more of a transgression by the wife than the man she sleeps with, imo, but -- like murder and stealing -- can more or less be covered by the golden rule. (The golden rule, btw, is probably a better guide to living a decent life than anything else, imo, including the 10 commandments.)

For those of the Catholic/Christian faith murder, stealing, sleeping with a man wife etc. are considered sins. From my understanding people who don't subscribe to the beliefs of the Catholic/Christian Church just consider murder/ sleeping with a Man's wife wrong for the reasons you stated Chicowalker.

More info on Sin according to the Catholic Church

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Sin

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes