PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lots of believers on this team...

fwiw, his first choice for his son recently (not sure if it was the kid with Moynahan or the first with Gisele) wasn't a Catholic school.

Unlike you and others, though, I don't pretend to know the extent of Brady's faith or what it means to him. (But as others have pointed out, the things you mentioned here -- while they obviously aren't evidence that his faith means nothing -- don't mean he is very religious, either.)

I don't know where anyone said in this thread that Tom Brady put his kids in catholic school. I know I said Tom Brady went to catholic school in his youth. Also I don't think anyone is claiming for sure Tom is super religious. However, from what I gather some in here, some have come to the conclusion that Tom believes in God and considers himself catholic at the very least. As indicated in his response many years ago his faith is important to him.

At the time the article was written and at the time Tom Brady gave his response he was 28.

USA WEEKEND Magazine

Excerpt from article below:

Tom Brady, 28, quarterback for the New England Patriots, met Pope John Paul II last year at the Vatican.
"I went to Catholic high school, so my faith was always important".

LOL... yeah, I guess if a guy eats a hamburger for lunch each day, it's no guarantee he likes hamburgers either. :D

Not sure why I'm wasting my time wih this, but...

Brady raised Catholic -- right, raised -- as a kid, by his parents

attended Catholic school -- see above

seriously dated two women both of whom are Catholic - do you think he only has dated catholic women?

married the second in a Catholic Church -- if she is catholic, and especially if her family is catholic, there's a good chance they're getting married in a catholic church

baptized their son in the Catholic Church -- see above

Obviously, it's important to you to think Brady is some sort of staunch Catholic. maybe he is. All I'm saying is that the things you're pointing to simply don't make it so. As does the fact that he wasn't looking to send his son to a Catholic school (and again, I'll acknowledge that this doesn't mean his faith isn't important to him).

btw, since you bring up eating hamburgers every day -- a current choice that would clearly indicate what you stated -- does Brady attend mass every day? I know devout Catholics who do. Does he attend mass every week?

I don't know where anyone said in this thread that Tom Brady put his kids in catholic school. ....

Nobody did. The point was that it was one more data point -- a current data point -- which, while in no way absolute, wouldn't point to this certainty about his faith that a few folks here seem to have.

...Also I don't think anyone is claiming for sure Tom is super religious. ...

At least one person sure seemed to be.

... However, some in here have come to the conclusion that Tom believes in God and considers himself catholic at the very least....

I'm not in any way disputing either of those things.

LOL... yeah, I mentioned that later. But just because someone sins, doesn't mean he doesn't value his faith. I sin, and I value mine. None of us are perfect.

And look at how he's handled it, his actions... by all accounts, an engaged, active loving dad for the child he fathered by Bridget. St. Francis of Assisi said, "Preach the Gospel... when necessary, use words."

Earlier you wrote "but certainly shows it through his actions with his wife and children and others ".

Now you write "And look at how he's handled it, his actions... by all accounts, an engaged, active loving dad for the child he fathered by Bridget."

Was not having premarital sex with Bridget an "action"? Was not leaving her while she was pregnant with his child an "action"? Tell me where in the tenets of Catholicism is any of that covered.

Please. You lose all credibility when you hold him up as a paragon by his "actions".

On the scale of purity, his actions are just as impure as any of us heathen. Whether he believes in a faith or not does not make his "actions" any more laudable. If you actually thought about it, his "actions" make him a devout member of the rest of us heathen.

You want to hold him up as laudable based on his "actions". What it really comes down to is that you want to worship him for the very same reason many of the rest of us do - - because he is a really great quarterback and we like him. Go Pats!

It's great that Tom Brady ASPIRES to Catholic "values". Please don't be disingenuous in saying that his ACTIONS are, because you lose all credibility there. There is a difference between someone who BELIEVES in something and someone who ACTS in their belief. You seem confused as to the difference.

It must chaff Tom's ass to have to throw to Edelman all the time.

Tom can believe in woodland fairies, Zuul the Gatekeeper of Gozer, and a flat Earth for all I care.

I just want him to be the QB of my team, not some role model or spiritual guide.

That's fine if you only care about what your favorite football player does on the field and you don't care what a football player does off the field. However, remember that some people care about what these football players do ON and OFF the field

There are some people that want a good football player on their team who also happens to believe in God, be a good role model etc. On the other hand, there are some people that just want their favorite football player to play football really well and don't care about anythingelse. Simply put different people look for different things and values different in their favorite football players.

Raised a devout Christian, went to Catholic school (Notre Dame HS in West Haven, CT), married in Catholic Church to another Catholic, who got her degree from BC, I have 2 Priests in the family, have been in St. Peter's with Pope officiating, AND, won my HS's "Religious Medal" (for highest grades in religion class), both children baptized = I'm an ATHEIST.

Overall, I think what some in this thread are trying to say is that Brady being raised catholic, going to catholic school in his youth, marrying a catholic women, getting married in the catholic church etc. would lead many to conclude that Tom Brady believes in God and considers himself a catholic at the very least.

Here are scenarios for how people could develop in life in terms of religion:

There are some people who were baptized in the church, raised in some religion ie christian, catholic etc, went to religious school, married in the church etc. and later in life turn out to be complete atheist as adults.

There are some people who were baptized in the church, raised in some religion, went to religous school, married in the church etc. However, later in life turn out to be non religious but still consider themselves catholic,christian or some religon by holding their belief in God etc.

There are some who were NOT raised up in a religious home, don't have family who is religious. Therefore, leading them to be non religious, possibly an atheist in their childhood. Yet they find God and become religious later in life.

Then there are some people who were raised in a religious home, baptized in the church, went to a religious school etc. and later in life they remain as religious as they were brought up to be. Thus, remaining devout catholic/christian etc.

What does Brady have to be thankful for? Its not like he was blessed with good looks, awesome athleticism, a model wife, a lot of $$...

Wait a minute....

Question - If Brady said he was atheist would you respect him less?

It seems like you are trying to turn a positive thread into a negative one with the comment in bold.

No one in this thread said that they would respect Brady less if he was an atheist. What the OP is saying is that they love that their are so many players on the Patriots team that believe in God.

Now I know that some people especially the atheists only care about what the football player can do on the field. However, people of faith like to see football player who not only plays the sport well, but also believes in a God, is a good role model etc. It boils down to what the individual person values and looks for in a football player.

It seems like you are trying to turn a positive thread into a negative one with the comment in bold.

No one in this thread said that they would respect Brady less if he was an atheist. What the OP is saying is that they love that their are so many players on the Patriots team that believe in God.

Now I know that some people especially the atheists only care about what the football player can do on the field. However, people of faith like to see football player who not only plays the sport well, but also believes in a God, is a good role model etc. It boils down to what the individual person values and looks for in a football player.

So you cannot be a good role model and an atheist? Believers are better people than atheists? I am confused here. Are you saying that atheists are worse people than believers.

Overall, I think what some in this thread are trying to say is that Brady being raised catholic, going to catholic school in his youth, marrying a catholic women, getting married in the catholic church etc. would lead many to conclude that Tom Brady believes in God and considers himself a catholic at the very least.

Someone is leaving something out! :D Keep closing your eyes and ignoring an "inconvenience" in his bio, Cat.

You would garner more respect on this website if you countenanced the truth and didn't pick and choose facts in order to proselytize your beliefs. Word of advice: That comes off as disingenuous and may explain why people get "turned off to the message". You have a good message, my friend. The dishonesty hurts it.

90+% of the readers of this website know who Bridget Moynihan is and what transpired.

You're not fooling anyone. Perhaps on another website you could do that, but people here know the subject of Tom Brady - - and most of us are ok with it, even without having to resort to blindly ignoring the inconvenient truth. We like him, warts and all. We acknowledge the Elephant in the Room. You can continue to pretend it doesn't exist.

Truth WILL set you free, Cat. Don't fear it, brother.

Last edited:
People make the mistake of thinking that those who aren't religious cannot be good people and that those who are therefore automatically are good people. These things are not mutually exclusive.

WBC, Ray Lewis, Al Sharpton, Jim Baker......a few examples of people who merely use religion for their own greater good. There's lots of scientist who do things to make things better for the world who don't believe as an example the other way.

I'm not knocking religion or believers. There's lots of people who talk the talk and walk the walk. I happen to think Tebow is one of these even though I don't think he's a NFL caliber QB. Again things that aren't inclusive. I can like the man but not the QB.

So you cannot be a good role model and an atheist? Believers are better people than atheists? I am confused here. Are you saying that atheists are worse people than believers.

At the same time, he professes that good role models are people who TALK about their beliefs, yet do not ACT upon them.

Our actions speak louder than our words in this life. Some, evidently believe the opposite.

Now I know that some people especially the atheists only care about what the football player can do on the field.

That is complete hooey.

It can be just as pointed out that the preponderance of football-jock NCAA violations (i.e. "only caring about what someone can do on the field") occurs in the "Bible Belt" section of the United States of America. The penitentiaries of this country are filled with those who believe in God - - before and after their crimes.

You mean well, but your posting on this subject is filled with ignorance.

Shemessy I am not ignoring the truth. I never stated that all of Tom Brady's actions were in line with the teachings of the church. I never even said that he has represented his faith in all of his past actions. Because the truth is Tom has not did everything by the teachings of the church. Yes, oldrover shouldn't have said Tom's actions shows he's a man of faith because as we all know that is not true. However, I think oldrover means well and was trying to say Tom believes in God and considers himself a catholic. Yeah oldrover pushed the envelope a little. Tom Brady clearly did wrong by having a baby out of wedlock and leaving Bridget when she was pregnant, no doubt. I would like to think Tom has asked God for forgiveness for his past mistakes and hopefully will try to lead a life that is more in line with the faith. Since Tom feels his faith is important to him. Nevertheless, since the Bridget fiasco it seems like he is living more in line with his faith. Thus, I say God bless him and hope he keeps up the good work.

You are reading more into the post than there is. There's good in bad in all walks of life. Have a good day.

That is complete hooey.

It can be just as pointed out that the preponderance of football-jock NCAA violations (i.e. "only caring about what someone can do on the field") occurs in the "Bible Belt" section of the United States of America. The penitentiaries of this country are filled with those who believe in God - - before and after their crimes.

You mean well, but your posting on this subject is filled with ignorance.

Yeah maybe I should not have said especially the atheists. Let's just say some people only care about what the player does on the field. The NCAA does care about the players activities on and off the field. Didn't thing of them at the time of my post. Yeah there's good and bad in all walks of life.

At the same time, he professes that good role models are people who TALK about their beliefs, yet do not ACT upon them.

Our actions speak louder than our words in this life. Some, evidently believe the opposite.

I never said that shemessy. I think a good role model should talk the talk and walk the walk. Maybe you are confusing oldrover's post with mine. Although, I don't think oldrover meant their post in the way that it came off. I think oldrover meant well.

I never said that shemessy. I think a good role model should talk the talk and walk the walk. Maybe you are confusing oldrover's post with mine. Although, I don't think oldrover meant their post in the way that it came off. I think oldrover meant well.

OK, Cat, I appreciate you finally acknowledging that, yes, Tom has not always acted in his beliefs. Just because someone is a person of belief does not automatically make that person one who will make the right move. We are all on a journey, just because someone has a "Top-3" belief system, does not mean it is any "better" or "closer to the truth" than any others. You may BELIEVE that, but you do not KNOW that.

And, btw, I'm a HEmessy, not a shemessy. :D

OK, Cat, I appreciate you finally acknowledging that, yes, Tom has not always acted in his beliefs. Just because someone is a person of belief does not automatically make that person one who will make the right move. We are all on a journey, just because someone has a "Top-3" belief system, does not mean it is any "better" or "closer to the truth" than any others. You may BELIEVE that, but you do not KNOW that.

And, btw, I'm a HEmessy, not a shemessy. :D

Sorry I meant to post Shmessy and the E slipped in. I do believe Jesus is the only way to heaven. I believe that those who want eternal life need to give there heart to him. So they can go to heaven once they die. I am not saying that people who don't are good or bad. I am just following the teachings of Christ. I know no human is perfect, but I would like to see every person on earth give their heart to Jesus so they can go to heaven when they die. Unfortunately that won't happen, but I try to impact as many people as possible in the hopes of leading that person to enteral salvation. That being said there are good and bad in all walks of life. I am not perfect(no person is is) and I personally try to work on bettering myself everyday. I hope you have been doing well Shmessy. God Bless! :)

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back