PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

lost on a bet !

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdul7

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Had my first gamble bet on our team this weekend which should have been a nice WIN had we tried to score on that last drive at Miami's 6 yard !!! I bought 200 Sterling Pounds {roughly 400 US dollars } per point and the Pats were favorite at 12 points. Because we won by only 10 points i ended up losing 400 pounds ! If only and i just dont know why we didnt try to score. Oh well it doesnt hurt that much because we WON. Reason i bet was after Cinn's game i was so sure wed play better on offense. Peace.
GO PATS.

abdul7 said:
i just dont know why we didnt try to score

If you bet on the Pats when they are playing the Dolphins you deserve what you get. I'm down on betting this year as well but I stay away from Patriots - Dolphins games as a rule because they _always_ play the patriots tough.

They didn't score because there was no reason to score. Kneel down three times and the game was over, this isn't Madden.

Last edited:
12 points!!!!! WHy???!!!!

Never do that during a regular season game against two NFL teams unless one team is this year's Raiders and the other is the 85 Bears.

12 points is too much chalk to lay, especially on a Pats game and even a bigger mistake especially against the fins.

Wait let me see if I understand this bet correctly. Hypothetically, if the Dolphins would have won by 3, you would have lost 3000 pounds (or 6000 dollars). Is that right? Thats a big risk to take considering the Dolphins had to win to keep their season alive, they always play the Pats tough, and Joey Harrington was making his first start, which has "This could be his 1 great game of his career" written all over it.

I had a parlay going, took the Titans and 19 points, pretty good huh? Too bad I took the Bills and 7.

What an inflated line! In Las Vegas you could've taken the Pats and laid 9 1/2 to 10 points, which to me was even too much.

scout said:
I had a parlay going, took the Titans and 19 points, pretty good huh? Too bad I took the Bills and 7.

Ok, tell me what you are betting this week because that's the exact parlay I took and I want to stay away from what you're plays are. I figured the wheels would come off of the Bears sooner or later and the Bills are more of a scrappy team than I think people give them credit for.

A fool and his money...

I was up $450 to start the season and I'm down $272 at this point making $20 parlays week in and week out hoping for a big enough windfall to get back to meaningful plays.

Oh well it's all fun anyways, I'm not a true gambler because I only bet money I can afford to lose and assume it is gone the moment I bet it. Been a tough season though.

FSUPatsFan said:
Wait let me see if I understand this bet correctly. Hypothetically, if the Dolphins would have won by 3, you would have lost 3000 pounds (or 6000 dollars). Is that right? Thats a big risk to take considering the Dolphins had to win to keep their season alive, they always play the Pats tough, and Joey Harrington was making his first start, which has "This could be his 1 great game of his career" written all over it.

True enough but if Maroney had gone into the end zone in that late run in the red zone he'd have won £1,000. Risk/reward. Like most here I would not have taken the 12 point spread, but to win big you have to take the odd punt.

fnordcircle said:
I stay away from Patriots - Dolphins games as a rule because they _always_ play the patriots tough.
Hmmm, then I guess you should be taking the fins and the points.;)

Last edited:
Question to Abdul: where can you spreadbet over here in the US? Or are you overseas? Since you mentioned sterling I guess you're in England.

To join in the thread betting theme, I'm having a decent season so far. My straight bets have been disappointing (I foolishly bottled out of backing the Titans on Sunday :mad: ) but 2-team 'teasers' have been going very well.

ironwasp said:
True enough but if Maroney had gone into the end zone in that late run in the red zone he'd have won £1,000. Risk/reward. Like most here I would not have taken the 12 point spread, but to win big you have to take the odd punt.

Apropos to the playing field threads: if Ben Watson had not slipped on his 3rd down catch, just before Maroney's run, he may have scored a TD. Miami looked like they were in an all-out blitz.

The moral: keep your $$ away from Pats-Dolphins. Far, far away.

I generally avoid the spreads, but play the straight odds or occasionally the handicaps and am having a decent year.

This week I particularly like the Jets as 2 pt favourites against Miami in NJ, and the Bengals as 6 pt favourites in TB. Thinking about taking those two plus Buffalo as a 1 pt favourite at Detroit and CArolina as 3 pt underdogs in Baltimore. (am also sorely tempted by San Diego as 10 point favourite in SF)

Any thoughts?

ironwasp said:
I generally avoid the spreads, but play the straight odds or occasionally the handicaps and am having a decent year.

This week I particularly like the Jets as 2 pt favourites against Miami in NJ, and the Bengals as 6 pt favourites in TB. Thinking about taking those two plus Buffalo as a 1 pt favourite at Detroit and CArolina as 3 pt underdogs in Baltimore. (am also sorely tempted by San Diego as 10 point favourite in SF)

Any thoughts?

I'm considering Carolina a bit. I don't like the Chargers giving that many points just because of their conservative approach when leading, so I might have a tickle on the 49ers.

fnordcircle said:
Ok, tell me what you are betting this week because that's the exact parlay I took and I want to stay away from what you're plays are. I figured the wheels would come off of the Bears sooner or later and the Bills are more of a scrappy team than I think people give them credit for.

A fool and his money...

I was up $450 to start the season and I'm down $272 at this point making $20 parlays week in and week out hoping for a big enough windfall to get back to meaningful plays.

Oh well it's all fun anyways, I'm not a true gambler because I only bet money I can afford to lose and assume it is gone the moment I bet it. Been a tough season though.
The way I figure it, I could spend $10 bucks on a state lottery every week and read my losing numbers Sunday morning as my odds are 1 in 1 billion-trillion, or I can bet $15 on four teams to win @400. If I win one week, I'll up my wager significantly and go for the big bucks. Football season only happens once a year, what the heck.

fnordcircle said:
I'm down $272 at this point making $20 parlays week in and week out hoping for a big enough windfall to get back to meaningful plays.

This is where your problem lies. Instead of playing parlays split them out into straight bets all for equal amounts and you'll be in a lot better shape. Parlays and teasers are sucker bets and should be avoided.

Coast2CoastPatsFan said:
This is where your problem lies. Instead of playing parlays split them out into straight bets all for equal amounts and you'll be in a lot better shape. Parlays and teasers are sucker bets and should be avoided.
I just went back to my betting page and bet on four teams, single bets.
The result was I could win $18.40 on my $20 bet. Maybe you have a better sight to bet, but obviously this one doesn't work for me.

Coast2CoastPatsFan said:

I think that betting truism is mostly, ahem, true. Certainly on parlays. But I'm growing very fond of teasers, and have gone 11-6 this season with them so far. I really believe if you are picking the right kinds of games then those extra 6 points can be golden.

It's a good job, as I've lost my mojo with my previous favourite bets on over/unders :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back