PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Loss of Jody Nelson exposes Aaron Rogers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but am I the only one that notices Peyton atop that list? So according to that list, Peyton is clutch now??? Am I the only one that sees something wrong??

Point I'm trying to make is simple. Let your eyes do the talking. Everyone can see how great Brady is. No need to put down Rodgers just to make Brady look better. He doesn't need it, besides there's more than enough room for another great QB. The insecurities on some Pats fans is kinda sad.

We all seen how great Rodgers can be first hand when the Pats played in Lambeau last year. He took our defenses best shot, and came out with the win. He went toe to toe in his first meeting, with a Belichick defense playing at its highest level. That should have gotten our respect right there.

Peyton has the most game winning drives with 54 while Brady is third with 48. Peyton is a great regular season QB, but he has 79 career losses to go with those 54 winning drives while Brady has just 47 losses. Brady is just incredible. He has more game winning drives than losses. That's simply amazing. Rodgers has just 13 game winning drives to go along with his 37 losses. While he is an outstanding QB, he is rather ordinary in the clutch. That's what people are mostly trying to point out. Too many people were too quick to hand the throne over to him because they let their eyes do the talking while overlooking the guy who has been at another level for a long time and still is. It's amazing that after 4 Super Bowl wins, 6 conference championships and 9 AFC conference championship appearances in 13 seasons, he is still underappreciated outside of New England. The guy has 9 game winning drives in the playoffs while Manning and Rodgers both only have 1. GOAT.

uh...WUT?...Gronk played 15 games last season (sat out the meaningless Buffalo game). He's played all 10 games so far this season. The Pats went 12-4 in 2013 losing Gronk after 7 games and lost in the AFCCG to Denver. Drastic drop? Brady had more total yards in 2013 than 2014. You are inferring that Brady is an inferior QB without Gronkowski. Why?

Brady's record before Gronk arrived is 96-30 in the regular season and 14-4 in the playoffs with 3 rings. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I'm sorry, but am I the only one that notices Peyton atop that list? So according to that list, Peyton is clutch now??? Am I the only one that sees something wrong??

Point I'm trying to make is simple. Let your eyes do the talking. Everyone can see how great Brady is. No need to put down Rodgers just to make Brady look better. He doesn't need it, besides there's more than enough room for another great QB. The insecurities of some Pats fans is kinda sad.

We all seen how great Rodgers can be first hand when the Pats played in Lambeau last year. He took our defenses best shot, and came out with the win. He went toe to toe in his first meeting, with a Belichick defense playing at its highest level. That should have gotten our respect right there.

"Who you gonna believe, me or your lyin' eyes?"

I don't know if I'm quite ready to jump on the bandwagon entirely because something in me is always going to believe you have to be damn good to win the MVP of the whole league, no matter the sport or who is around you. It's just not easy. How often have we seen guys start super hot and fizzle? Rodgers, the year he won, was in the running from wire-to-wire (I predicted he'd win prior to the season . . . just sayin).

With that said, he has looked putrid at times this season. But it's not as simple as saying it's because Jordy is out, IMO. The other receivers have failed at times to get open, which is a bit odd when you consider it's Cobb (who I am starting to believe is truly the overrated one) and Jones (who continues to have an outstanding relationship with Rodgers). After those two, the drop-off seems pretty steep. Adams is good but very inconsistent and they get up-and-down play from the TE position. Add to the fact that Lacy has been wildly inconsistent (more bad than good) and Starks who is not necessarily a workhorse type of back like Lacy is supposed to be, and there go your offensive woes.

I will agree obviously with anyone who says he's clearly not having a good season, but I'm not ready to declare him yet. The man just won the MVP last season, and I think he has shown that he is elite. His playoff record though . . . that's for another discussion. LOL

Irony is that if Brady's receivers had dropped TD passes like the Packers receivers had, I'd bet good money Brady would have gone ballistic and those guys would be benched, and you'd all be screaming for them to be benched.

I'll just finish by saying it may be a down year for the Rodgers and the Packers. If you all want to think that Rodgers never was that good and he's washed up, be my guest.

I'm done. Carry on.

With all due respect to your observations, Welker in two different playoff games dropped passes which were our last chance to win. No one called for Welker to be benched.

Regarding Rogers; no is saying hes a scrub, he is a highly gifted athlete and passer. What he is not is the G. O. A. T.
[/QUOTE]

Not just Welkah but Reche Caldwell's drop in the AFCCG cost the real GOAT another ring.

So if we're crediting drops, Brady has 6-7 rings & Rogers wins a couple more games this season.
I like it!

Peyton has the most game winning drives with 54 while Brady is third with 48. Peyton is a great regular season QB, but he has 79 career losses to go with those 54 winning drives while Brady has just 47 losses. Brady is just incredible. He has more game winning drives than losses. That's simply amazing. Rodgers has just 13 game winning drives to go along with his 37 losses. While he is an outstanding QB, he is rather ordinary in the clutch. That's what people are mostly trying to point out. Too many people were too quick to hand the throne over to him because they let their eyes do the talking while overlooking the guy who has been at another level for a long time and still is. It's amazing that after 4 Super Bowl wins, 6 conference championships and 9 AFC conference championship appearances in 13 seasons, he is still underappreciated outside of New England. The guy has 9 game winning drives in the playoffs while Manning and Rodgers both only have 1. GOAT.
The world would rather hate him and look for every reason outside of hard work, intelligence and just natural ability to justify how someone could be so good for so long. Seriously, and think hard, when is the last time you can remember an athlete getting better with age, regardless of sport or position within said sport? Jordan changed his game, but I wouldn't say he became better necessarily in the latter stage of his Bulls career (what Wizards career?). Elway maybe?

Brady is the greatest QB I've ever seen and the greatest football player I've ever seen. I don't care who agrees or disagrees with that statement. Sadly, I fear he will never get the credit he truly deserves just because of everything we've seen. The Patriots are marred as villains and that will never change. There will always be haters and people who are just jealous of him and the success on and off the field. Whatever.

(Rodgers) just won the MVP last season, and I think he has shown that he is elite.

Brady won the MVP in 2007 and 2010.

Pats did not win the SB either of those years.

I could not care less about the MVP award. JMHO.

That would be fair if I were trying to draw a comparison. I pointed to an award that actually has merit because it rewards the person regarded as tops in the profession. There's the obvious difference between it and the other, which acknowledges the team's excellence. I certainly hope you're not trivializing an award that is meant to reward an athlete performing at his individual peak.

Anyone who plays as a starter for as many years as brady, has a comfort with the game, and a sense of urgency to get to the superbowl. i would assume in Rodgers final years, he too will be as awesome as brady.
Brady has alot more to play for right now, 5 rings, revenge gate. Rodgers is playing for his next contract and longevity.

It's more of a "Loss of Nelson lessens Rodgers numbers, as expected, but Davante Adams' suckage is killing the Packers" thing:

Aaron Rodgers has a Davante Adams problem

To be fair the refs bailed Rodgers out after who threw a brutal pick in the beginning of the game on an atrocious penalty call. He threw his first TD a few plays later.

Anyone who plays as a starter for as many years as brady, has a comfort with the game, and a sense of urgency to get to the superbowl. i would assume in Rodgers final years, he too will be as awesome as brady.

I don't think so. There's a false equivalency here in many ways.

First, I guess you're sort of saying "Rodgers wasn't as awesome as Brady in his first 4 years as a starter or thereafter to date but in his final years he will be." Or, you're arguing that a VERY good QB (Rodgers) is therefore the equivalent of Brady, who is also a VERY good QB.

I think you mean that Rodgers, too, will likely improve with age. Yet we see much more often the opposite happens with QBs. And what we've seen with Rodgers is that if he's missing a weapon, he's like "that's it man, game over" by comparison with Brady.

Give Brady stars at WR and he makes them superstars. Give Brady scrubs and he makes them stars. Give him Reche Caldwell, and he makes him a good #2 receiver - a stretch for Reche (God love the glandular freak), but as it turns out not what we needed (a #1 receiver).

What makes Brady the GOAT is that his raw athletic ability is on a par with the best QBs (talking the arm here, rather than running ability), or at least was during the pitch-and-catch-to-Moss days. He's peaked physically. He does not care. He'll will himself to keep being better. Last year it was ratcheting up his release time. This year he wants to be a little more "escapable." He's constantly looking for one more way to carry the offense forward no matter what he faces. There's no "wahhhhh my O-Line is banged up" or "Wahhhh my receivers are banged up." He took time in the beginning of '14 to get used to the fact that Mankins was really gone. I think he learned from that. It reminded him that no matter how bad it looks TRUST will allow him to get the best out of any given crew. He expects the best of those around him and because he never stops learning and growing, he gets it.

I don't think if you swapped them in time and plopped them in each others' positions, the equivalency would hold up. I don't think Aaron Rodgers makes David Patten or David Givens household names. Maybe Troy Brown, sorta. I don't think Rodgers makes or wins that first SB when Drew goes down.

He's stats-good, and he's a good QB and a good leader.

That doesn't make him Tom F. Brady... it might take the tale of time to get people's heads around just what we're seeing here.

But hey I am a homer.

Well there we go. A 4th qtr comeback AND bringing his team back from 9 or more. He just needed the opportunities! :D

I don't believe that anyone's won both the MVP and the SB since the turn of the millennium. I want to say that maybe Kurt Warner did it back in 99, but I'm not one hundred percent positive. Either way, I agree with you. The MVP has been something of a curse in terms of winning the big game.

Last edited:
I don't believe that anyone's won both the MVP and the SB since the turn of the millennium. I want to say that maybe Kurt Warner did it back in 99, but I'm not one hundred percent positive. Either way, I agree with you. The MVP has been something of a curse in terms of winning the big game.

There are no curses. Are people seriously buying into this superstition bullcrap ?

There are no curses. Are people seriously buying into this superstition bullcrap ?

Well, the word "curse" is to be taken with a grain of salt obviously, but there's no denying the relationship between winning the MVP and failing to win the big game.

As far as the subject of superstition goes, players and fans alike have done things such as worn "rally caps" or lucky jerseys for years. Often times, they take it even farther by performing some act they'd normally do during times of victory, or avoiding certain things. As irrational as it is, many people would much rather see someone else win the MVP or take the time to vote Gronk OFF of the cover of "Madden." Inexplainable quirks have been a part of sports forever, as odd as they are.

Last edited:
Well, the word "curse" is to be taken with a grain of salt obviously, but there's no denying the relationship between winning the MVP and failing to win the big game.

As far as the subject of superstition goes, players and fans alike have done things such as worn "rally caps" or lucky jerseys for years. Often times, they take it even farther by performing some act they'd normally do during times of victory, or avoiding certain things. As irrational as it is, many people would much rather see someone else win the MVP or take the time to vote Gronk OFF of the cover of "Madden." Inexplainable quirks have been a part of sports forever, as odd as they are.

There is also a correlation between winning Rookie of the Year and winning the big game but that doesn't mean we should stop drafting.

I should have worded it less rough, I am sorry. It is just that I am getting tired of reading about how we should avoid 16-0 because of some idiotic additional pressure (as if any playoff game doesn't already have the ultimate pressure since a loss sends you home) or how the MVP didn't win the Superbowl in the last decade(s) (which is another one of those stupid, irrelevant correlations everyone should be able to see through).

I say screw it.. I want it all.. SB, MVP, DPOY, OPOY.. win it all and make everyone hate us even more..

There is also a correlation between winning Rookie of the Year and winning the big game but that doesn't mean we should stop drafting.

I should have worded it less rough, I am sorry. It is just that I am getting tired of reading about how we should avoid 16-0 because of some idiotic additional pressure (as if any playoff game doesn't already have the ultimate pressure since a loss sends you home) or how the MVP didn't win the Superbowl in the last decade(s) (which is another one of those stupid, irrelevant correlations everyone should be able to see through).

I say screw it.. I want it all.. SB, MVP, DPOY, OPOY.. win it all and make everyone hate us even more..

You certainly make a valid point, and I think it all depends on how much you believe in superstitions or trends, most of which are likely coincidental. Either way, I think the majority of us really didn't want Gronkowski to be on the cover, even if it defied all logic and common sense. Others such as yourself felt quite the opposite, and for good reason just the same, since your argument could be made using common sense and rationale.

As far as the pressure coming from the perfect season, I think that's a bit different in the sense that it's quite real. We all witnessed it back in 07, where every single game becomes a playoff game, and that may have led to additional stress and the team being wound a bit too tightly. No one should feel like they have to win like, 9 playoff games in a row just because you get off to a good start at 10-0. I think the concern was that it may become a bit of a burden, and could even be a distraction from the main goal, which is to win the SB.

There's also the odds which state how insanely unlikely it's going to be for anyone to win 19 games in a row, let alone during the same season. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but simply pointing out the other side of the coin. I certainly won't be disappointed if Brady wins the MVP, but I won't really care if he doesn't either, and I'll likely cite the lack of SB winners to make me feel better. ;)

I'm not really looking at your whole statement here, nor am I expressing any of my own feelings or opinions here. I just wanted to ask (sincerely) how you feel this when even the players talk about feeling added pressure and being tight in the practices leading up to the SB, as well as the game itself? And that was a more veteran team than the one this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back