PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Losman on His Way Out ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch. What a bust for the Bills.

Does this mean that the Bills are going to be active in the draft for a QB early? This could make life REALLY interesting.

DaBruinz said:
Does this mean that the Bills are going to be active in the draft for a QB early? This could make life REALLY interesting.
You would think, although it sounds like they're hanging their hat on Craig Nall :D

"I think it's going to be something that boils down to Nall as the No. 1 and (Kelly) Holcomb as the backup," he said. "If you went through the locker room and people were honest, (there would be) a lot of people who aren't sold on Losman as a leader."

I guess the good side of that for them is he had a QB rating of 139.4 last year. The bad side is it was only on 33 passes :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6050/

arrellbee said:
Maybe a one team division. :rolleyes: IMHO, Culpepper is going to give the Dolphins problems - whether healthy OR not.

I'm so glad we have Tom Brady. Sooooo glad.

arrellbee said:
Maybe a one team division. :rolleyes: IMHO, Culpepper is going to give the Dolphins problems - whether healthy OR not.
I was being pesimistic when I said two team :)

You have to question the teams that think a number of mediocre QBs equate to one decent one. I think the Jets are doing something like that now (Pennington - good but not great, Ramsey - again, not bad - though we probably haven't seen everything he has to give, and then say for the sake of argument they draft Cutler who, whilst having long term prospects is essentially a rookie), the Dolphins did it with Feeley and Frerotte, and arguably the Bills are about to do it again (even if they traded to get some kind of stud, they're still a year or two away). What happens is you pay 2 or 3 guys average QB money, meaning essentially you pay a stud, and only get a third of its value.

I suppose what I am saying is the more economical strategy is to isolate your number 1, try and find a passable #2 (though I suspect this strategy is contingent on a team with winners at positions other than just QB, especially on defense) at a lesser salary and then a project #3. I think that maximises value from the position much more than paying 3 guys and hoping one comes through. But then, you need a decent FO to pick that number one guy accurately in the first place. Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
How is Culpepper going to give the Dolphins problems?

i can see Miami trading for Losman for a day 2 pick. Gives Miami some insurance if Culpepper isnt ready and isnt Malarkey with the Phins now? Losman would already know the Miami offense

My memory of Loserman was when ESPN followed him around the combine before the draft. What an immature punk. He called one of the QBs (Ellie Manning I think, or maybe Roethlisberger) a "girl' for not throwing. When Buffalo traded for him the only thing I could think of was "and they think he'll be able to figure out, and beat, Belichick's defense" ? :confused: :p

PatsFanInVa said:
How is Culpepper going to give the Dolphins problems?
Scrambling QBs are a double-edged sword. They certainly make some important plays that help the team. But in the process, the offensive line and receivers really don't have a clue as to what they should be doing. Should they be blocking and running routes for the play called or should they be 'improvising' to help the QB do whatever he is doing. And after a while, they can get a 'what the heck' outlook because top effort is often wasted. A scrambling QB like Culpepper also tends to have 'itchy' feet and doesn't stay in the pocket like a Brady does - so he has that much less opportunity to hit receivers on their planned routes. Also the 'itchy feet' are another problem for the motivation of the O-Line because pass blocking is problematic. Maybe a Saban solution could be to design many or all pass plays as rollouts - but I don't think rollouts are as effective as pocket passing.

When is the last time you remember a scrambling QB who won a superbowl ? (I don't regard Elway or Young as scrambling QBs)

p.s. Saban may be falling into a college versus NFL trap. He had pretty good success with athletic QBs (eg Rohan Davey) who simply could not play at the NFL level.

Last edited:
arrellbee said:
When is the last time you remember a scrambling QB who won a superbowl ? (I don't regard Elway or Young as scrambling QBs)

Randle-El was scrambling on that Superbowl XL winning toss ;)

PhilD said:
Interesting point - but wouldn't you call that a designed roll-out rather than a scramble ? Certainly all the Steelers knew how to block for the play - including Big Ben !!

PhilD said:

I sure hope you are joking

Digger44 said:
I sure hope you are joking

Of course :) I don't think British sarcasm translates well on bulletin boards!

PhilD said:
Of course :) I don't think British sarcasm translates well on bulletin boards!
Ah, so that's my problem :) (I was born in England and lived there until I was 12).

with some stuff latley, one can nerver be too careful. I still think we should trade Brady for Vick though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes