PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Losing by design - A BAD IDEA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think this whole idea of planning to lose by design idea is BS. I also thought so last year when they tanked against Miami so they could play JAX instead of Pitt.
I think you are missing the point. The point is that it is best to rest up the starters when you don't have the bye week. Why put Tom Brady, Laurence Maroney or Rodney Harrison into a position where they might get injured in a meaningless game..?

There is no way Belichick is saying "Let's lose because I would rather face Denver than NY" but what he is saying is "Let's rest the starters."

I am of the opinion that NE *did* want to lose the Miami game, but it had nothing to do with Pitt. It had to do with the fact that Jax, clearly the worst of all the playoff participants, were already locked in as the #5 team going into that game. By losing, NE would guarantee themselves the #4, which would give them an extra week to prepare for that game. Had NE won, it could have been Pitt or it could have been KC. It was not fear of Pitt (which is laughable. I will go to my grave convinced that NE would have beaten that team by 10+ points in last year's playoffs), but extra preparation and rest for their playoff game.

With regard to this year's final game, I really don't know. Things are so up in the air that any one of 4-5 teams could still make the show, and seedings aren't even close to finalized, unless both Denver and NY win. With that in mind, I would choose to rest guys like Warren, Seymour, Wilfork, Brady and Samuel. Probably both Dillon and Maroney, too, but that might be hard to do with only two active RBs. I think Harrison should play a half since he was out so long. Momentum isn't as improtant, IMHO for a team like this that has won so much already.

BTW, I do fear a matchup against Denver, but I think that the rest will do he team good. NYJ? Bring 'em on. I still think that they suck, and that their first round opponent will knock them out convincingly.

Good point. The other thing is if we beat Denver (and no, I am not trying to create bad karma) we are setting up a cross-country trip to San Diego, rather than a short one to Baltimore, so we are not really helping ourselves by "tanking" the game.

Exactly,which is why playing by "design" isn't a great idea unless the design is to have key players at 100% in January. That said,avoiding a cross-country playoff trip wouldn't exactly break my heart, nor probably the teams' for that matter. Travel consequences have been known to rear their ugly heads.

I will be very surprised if Brady doesn't at least start. He may get
benched before the 1stQ is done but he has a great record to maintain.
How many consecutive games has he started?
What's the record?
Unless he is really hurt he should start.

Resting the starters is like getting a bye week. Possible rust problems? Last year, the Patriots smoked Jacksonville operating on the same theory. Rust was not a problem.

Then one one week's rest (normal schedule), we came up great passion but poor execution in Denver.

I say let the starters go to the Foxy Lady for New Years. Vince Young does a good lapdance but not the kind we need.

The Pats need to position themselves for the best shot at winning 3-games in a row in order to make the SB. If that involves resting some starters in order to be fresh for a 1st round game against the Donkees, then I am all for it. If this means we may lose to a poor Tennessee team then so be it.

As it was called here on this board Miami has tanked the rest of the season after beating the Pats in order to move up the draft board. Look for a total blow-out by the Colts on Sunday and all the national media jumping on the Colts bandwagon again.

The Pats will remain #4 win or lose.

I think many of you took what I wrote out of context. Nowhere did I advocate that the Patriots should "tank" the game (If I did, toss me a quote and I promise I will own up to it). I would like to see the regulars rested, and I would like to see those who play play hard and play to win. If I had a remote thought that the three seed was a real possibility, I would then advocate that we play our starters.

I know you all remember the Miami finale last year, and that losing the game gave us a better 1st round opponent, which we beat by 25 points. You could call that game a tank job. What blew that strategy up was that dirty tackle by Kimo von Oelhoffen on Carson Palmer, which was the key factor in Cincinnati losing and sending us to Denver instead of Indianapolis. The Patriots set a precedent last year with resting regulars, and if BB sees it as the best way to go for the Patriots, I support it.

I also don't see the harm in giving Cassel as much game action as possible. How many of your hearts sank on Sunday when Ingram nailed Brady in the back? Let Cassel play the whole game, and play to win.

So, where I may have advocated tanking the finale last year, I don't this year. What would be nice is if Miami/Indy were at 1:00 EST and our game later on in the day, so we could play the game knowing whether or not Indy had the three seed clinched by then.

Bob G

Put me with the people who argue the Pats did not intentionally "tank" the Miami game last year. They did rest key players, but those who played (including Cassel, who did very well against a tough Miami D) tried hard to win the game, and came close.

Good point, but the final play of the game and the drop kick by Flutie don't suggest that BB was hell bent on winning the game. Cassel did play well, but that 2-point conversion attempt at the end of the game, which was a rollout where Cassel merely threw the ball away, isn't the kind of play you normally see in trying to tie a game and get it to OT.

As for the drop kick, a year later it remains more comical and gimmicky than it does intelligent.

Bob G

I think both trips are inevitable, but I'd prefer hitting SD first because they are not a playoff-seasoned squad and Rivers (who is looking very un-Pro Bowl-like lately) would be making his first playoff start. Plus they will have some rust coming off the bye. If they had a 'confidence-building win' in the divisional round then going into SD would be a VERY tough assignment.

I like your attitude. Please do not let anything or anyone keep you guys from coming to San Diego.:)

I like your attitude. Please do not let anything or anyone keep you guys from coming to San Diego.:)
Well, if the seeding doesn't change, you may have to battle those pesky Jest first...:singing:

Most of you guys just don't get it.

This is a game.

Games are won by Strategy.

BB is a Master of this game and Strategy.

That said he will weigh the certainty of a slightly more favorable draft selection, and more rested players for the real season ...the post season, against the benefit of POSSIBLY only POSSIBLY of getting the 3rd seed.
Being a games expert myself, I expect him to rest starters and still play for a win on the ground. Tennesee's defensive line is hurting.
I think we can beat Tenn with our 2nd string because we have a great ground game and a great defense.
Look to last year for the best prediction of his choice.
We improved our draft position last year (loosing to Miami).
The end result of Sundays game will still be the same...
We Must beat 4 good teams period.

I have heard of the rest em to prevent injury theory. But fact is you play to win. If you don't play to win that sends a message to the team.

If Brady and the Pats jump to a comfortable lead then I can see pulling him to Cassell. But I don't think you can realistically expect the Pats 2nd stringers to beat a red hot Titans team with Vince "wins the big ones" Young at the helm.

A warrior's blood calls for battle. A real warrior does not seek to avoid it. If these Pats are warriors let them beat all who would stand in their way. That includes the Titans next Sunday.

Re: Play to win Sunday
BB's philosophy is that all 53, and any grads from the PS should be ready to play and to carry the freight. The starters have echoed this sentiment many times when one of them goes down.
Sunday is time for some of the others on the 53 to contribute more than they have had the opportunity to do so recently.
BB will field them telling them he expects THEM to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots