PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lord Favre abdicates the throne after 17 seasons [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Favre Retires

good, i cant stand favre!

One of the top 15 all time greats, no doubt.
A joy to watch when he was on fire, and he loved being on the field.

That being said, it's about time, he's dragged this off-season story every year for like 5 years now, Aaron Rodgers' career is half over already.

for the first time in 4 years or so, the Packers can go into an NFL draft fully prepared.

There is no excuse for Brett's behavior the past few years

and like that, the Bears defense just got weaker.

Funny because they said Driver was the #1 in GB. Obviously not #1 to Favre. There's been a disconnect between Favre and the FO ever since they drafted Aaron Rodgers.

Re: Thank GOD Farvay finally retired!

And your point is?:rolleyes:

My point is that he deserves a little more respect than you're giving him. And the fact that I think you're wrong that she should have retired years ago--he had one of his best seasons last year.

Re: Fox Sports: Favre to retire

Frankly, I don't buy Mortensen's theory. If Favre has been going year to year, why would he blatantly retire after not getting Moss? Why not last year, the records? With all the damage he has taken (he had a separated shoulder this year to add to the list) I suspect he has had enough.

As for Aaron Rodgers, his career may have actually been extended because of Favre. Last I recall of him, he lasted exactly one quarter against the Patriots before landing on the injured reserve. His durability streak as a starter may not extend beyond a few games, and that's if he can play at all.

I don't think Favre orchestrates this retirement stuff - Wisconsin hangs on every word he says so he can't just say he will think about every year. There have to be press conferences.

In the end, I think the NFL will miss him. I will miss him because of how torqued off Marino got at watching his records fall, and I love watching Marino squirm. Favre was also fun to watch as so few quarterbacks throw blocks on running plays, and he seemed to genuinely enjoy playing. My only wish is that he called it a career before 1996 and took Reggie White with him so we could have hoisted a Lombardi 5 years before Brady arrived.

Last edited:
If the Packers are smart they will make it very clear to Favre that he no longer has a roster spot on their team. I can see Favre changing his mind in a week and torturing us with his mediocrity as his pathetic media posse sings his praises for yet another year.
Go away Brett!!!

A lot of haters on this board.

I for one am pleased.

Can't wait to see…

A) Little if ANY Packers nationally televised primetime games this year. Every year they’d lead/be right up there in amount of primetime games and every year I could care less.

Bret or the Packers never compelled me like they did for the rest of the nation I suppose.

B) How many Packers fans (outside of Wisconsin) still exist. Believe it or not here in Connecticut I’ve seen a bunch of them – guessing they will hop on to a new team being they were really following a player – not a team.

A lot of haters on this board.

I don't think people hate Brett Favre so much as the way the media covers Brett Favre - the everything he does is OK because he is a gunslinger having fun BS they force down everyone's throats. He gets a free pass because the Peter King's of the world get invited to his house for dinner when they visit GB.

I and others also found his offseason actions and the shamelss way he milked it for attention the last few years to be distasteful.

He struggled a lot early in his career, he was a great QB in his prime, and he was a mediocre mistake prone QB who killed his team more in big spots than anyone in the NFL late in his career.

His durability is legendary and led to record breaking career stats - good and bad. That and his prime will and likely should put him in the HOF.

Last edited:
Dr Z rightfully points on the media lovefest of favre
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/dr_z/03/04/favre/1.html

The surprising thing was that Favre's ratings stayed high, despite his occasional looseness with the ball. That was how hot he could get. Remember the night in Oakland, when it was iffy whether he'd play, following his father's death? Four TD passes and 399 yards in the air was the legacy he left out there. But there were downers, too, and it only hurt Favre that the knights of the TV screen always were ready to make excuses for him.

His fourth quarter and overtime meltdown against the Giants last season, which put a sad end to a remarkably classy season? Never mind ... the redemption of the Giants' field-goal kicker was the angle. The goofy, looping interception that cost the Pack the Eagles' game in OT in the divisionals in 2004? Oh, let's put it on the defense for allowing McNabb his fourth-and-26 completion in regulation.

Always ready to make excuses, always braying about "what a good time he's having," that was the continual barrage from TV. Maybe a few frowns, a stern reprimand or two, might have toned down the wild maverick a little, but gosh, he sure is having fun out there. And that's what the game is all about, isn't it? Fun, boys acting like men and so forth.

Favre's message on mort's phone

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

FAVRE, IN HIS OWN WORDS

After word of his decision to retire broke, Packers quarterback Brett Favre left a voice message for Chris Mortensen of ESPN, apparently after Mort speculated during ESPN Radio's Man-Girl & Meatball In The Morning that the failure of the team to chase receiver Randy Moss was a factor in the decision.

Here's what Favre had to say:
doesnt mention not getting moss was the reason.
as usual mort/espn start their own rumors.

I just listened to the voice mail he left Mort (do players really want mediots disceminating their voice mails...) and I tell you what I got out of it.

Favre didn't have another year in him if it really is that hard to win...or even almost win. Not getting Moss may have signified to him that it never would be easy again. And gunslingers need it to be fun and easy. That's getting near impossible in a coaches league.

For the first time in his career Brett watched film and knew why he was watching it...to learn to identify defenses and identify and correct mistakes and manage your offense accordingly. Not to kill time or crack jokes or catch a nap. That sucks. It's like having to attend college classes just to play ball... He said it was just too mentally draining for him.

No kidding - even students of the game like Brady and Manning wear down as much mentally as physically over the course of a season. Brett couldn't take another year of that unless he was almost positively convinced the Packers could win it all. Moss being added might have convinced him, but apparently the Packers FO had had it and didn't really try to alter his thinking. In fact, Holley said today that when he first talked to Ted Thompson on Thursday, likely his way of setting the stage for do something to convince me what I'm feeling today can be changed, Thompson told him to listen to his heart. In other words, just retire already, Brett.

It will be interesting to see what Rogers can do, and to see how the world turns in GB absent it's decades long axis. For the time being it will be Mike McCarthy's team I guess. And he seemed to do OK with it until Brett hit the wall after the Seattle game. Not sure if the Giants DL just out executed GB too, or McCarthy gameplanned all wrong or if it was the result of Brett just couldn't watch any more film. But if it was...damn you Brett!

I see a little of that underway with both Ben and Romo, one or both of which are the heirs apparent to the gunslinger legacy. Ben is the early leader in the clubhouse by virtue of his early career Superbowl win.

i think romo is ahead . ben's off yr due to the injury let the media cool off a little. there was a piece on some site before the boys/packers game last yr that how the media was spinning its own version of what it wants to believe by continously spreading that romo was playing his boyhood hero from wisconsin when the truth was that romo was a montana fan not a favre fan.
i bet romo will be beaten down as the next guy who is having 'fun'

I haven't listened to the e-mail, haven't watched ESPN today, only saw the headline on a website.

The real question is: What percent chance do you think there is that he changes what passes for his mind?

I put it at about 25%.

PFnV

If a story breaks at 9am, is it still breaking news at 7:10 pm, as the espn bottom line currently notes.

I don't think people hate Brett Favre so much as the way the media covers Brett Favre - the everything he does is OK because he is a gunslinger having fun BS they force down everyone's throats.

When are people on this board going to learn that what "the media" says is irrelevant? Brett Favre was a great player. That is so much more important than what Peter King may or may not think or say about him I really don't know what to say to those who focus on it.

Haters who think this way, would do better focusing their anger where it belongs and start a Peter King thread. Except far fewer people will read what you write because nobody gives a **** about whether Peter King "quarterbacks" another column or not.

His durability is legendary and led to record breaking career stats - good and bad. That and his prime will and likely should put him in the HOF.

You are understating the case. He is a clear-cut Hall of Famer, and very deserving of first-ballot consideration.

For the first time in his career Brett watched film and knew why he was watching it...to learn to identify defenses and identify and correct mistakes and manage your offense accordingly. Not to kill time or crack jokes or catch a nap. That sucks. It's like having to attend college classes just to play ball... He said it was just too mentally draining for him.
He said this YESTERDAY???
This is the kind of selfish and lazy stuff about him that makes me dislike him. Oh poor guy, in year 17 in the NFL he actually has to watch film like other QBs do. He's also a hypocrite (refusing to report to minicamps while railing publicly on Javon Walker for not reporting to minicamps, etc etc.). To me that kind of stuff doesn't spell "leader". Leader is the QB being the ONE OF IF NOT THE HARDEST WORKERS ON THE TEAM and leading by example and never asking of teammates what he doesn't do himself. None of those fit him.
The ballwashing by the media isn't his fault and I don't hold it against him...I just find it very irritating. He had a few HOF caliber years in the 90's and a decent 2000-on with a pretty good year or two sprinkled in. He wasn't really good in most of his playoff games after 2000 either. To me he is like any other guy who wanted to get by on his physical skills alone, and was able to for awhile. It is hard for me to respect a QB who never wanted to put in film study time to learn, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes