PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looks like Wilson and Hobbs are our starting CBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
There was something about this in the offseason, but it looks like Samuel as the nickelback and Wilson starting outside is for real.

Looking at the roster, I think this makes sense. The key is depth at safety: Harrison, Hawkins, Sanders, Scott, Jones... even without Wilson, we have four-- maybe five-- safeties who can start for us.

Shifting Wilson back to CB makes our secondary look pretty decent:

CB: Wilson - Samuel - Scott
FS: Hawkins - Jones
SS: Harrison - Sanders - Scott
CB: Hobbs - Gay

This is probably just a one-day experiment. Let's not jump to any premature conclusions.

because Hobbs's height he wont do well? Excuse me..Antoine Winfield 5"9 180 mr. underrated ex Bill current Viking. Hes a tremendous player.

I dont like that. I rather keep Wilson at FS instead of changing secondary around a lot. Wilson + Harrison were a top 3 safety duo before.

I see it like

SS: Jones/Sanders (till Rodney is back)
FS: Wilson
CB: Samuel
CB: Hobbs

Gay is not as good as Hobbs

I agree Pats1, I think Wilson will remain at free safety. I think he was jsut put out there becuase of the current surplus of safeties. I would guess you would see it a little bit more throughout camp to get him work and to help him with his cover skills to utilize his versatility when the real games and situations arise. Until I see it in the season opener I don't buy into it.

I don't think it really matters. Belichick is going to play the four, five, or six best defensive backs for whatever the particular situation is.

Sometimes that might mean Wilson lines up as CB and sometimes it means he'll be a FS.

We should all be used to Belichick's ways by now. He's all about flexibility. Wilson probably needs work at CB b/c he hasn't played it much the past few years.

NEM said:
I think one might be Wilson, but the other wont be Hobbs. Probably Asante. Maybe Gay. But not Hobbs. He will be eaten up alive, because of his height, as a starter at corner.
Ehhhhh...no.

Last edited by a moderator:
pats1 said:
This is probably just a one-day experiment. Let's not jump to any premature conclusions.
agreed. Tommorow it could be a different combination.

pats1 said:
Let's not jump to any premature conclusions.
Agreed, little too soon to draw solid conclusions. Well, except that NEM is wrong again. ;)

NEMster... come on.

Hobbs: 5-9 with 42 inch vertical
Gay: 5-11 with 39 inch vertical

The III has a whole inch on Blue. ;) Not to mention a hell of a nose for the ball, excellent timing (better than Blue), and great instincts. After the season with his 8 starts at corner, SI called him the best rookie corner. He finished second out of all rookies in the NFL for interceptions, and either led the team in interceptions or at least was tied for the lead (can't remember). Eaten alive? No. Remember Miami trying to eat him alive last year with their much taller WRs? Remember those two fade routes in the end zone that he defended perfectly?

May I recommend a little sage? :D

Last year, Klecko was the starting NT on the first day of TC.

yeah.

it was Hobbs 5"9 vs Booker 6"0 in the endzone and also Chambers 5"11 with great athletism and leaping ability

I believe the individual that stated that making changes often and as needed by the occassion by BB is what we need to stay open to.In going in his 6th season now with us he has shown time and time again he knows the game well enough to do what needs to be done.The only reason I can see Geno staying at CB for a bit is to get come practice and brush up on his cover skills so that he doesn't try and just plain try and throw big hits as he did a lot last year.Just my 2 cents.Go Pats!

Oh well to quote a well known player "We talking about practice not a game practice!!!"

So we will see what happens when the live rounds start.

broadwayjoe said:
Oh well to quote a well known player "We talking about practice not a game practice!!!"

So we will see what happens when the live rounds start.

A well known idiotic player. That is the most ignorant statement made by a "superstar" in my lifetime! AI is a ******* moron!

Moving Wilson to CB when he has adjusted so well to Safety would be plain stupid.

Samuel (forget what you heard, he's starting and our best CB)
Hobbs (maybe, don't expect Gay and Warfield to just lie down)
Nickelback will be between Hobbs, Gay and Warfield.

Last edited:
huskeralk said:
Moving Wilson to CB when he has adjusted so well to Safety would be plain stupid.

Samuel (forget what you heard, he's starting and our best CB)
Hobbs (maybe, don't expect Gay and Warfield to just lie down)
Nickelback will be between Hobbs, Gay and Warfield.

I don't agree. I think Geno would be a better corner than Samual, I also believe that Hawkins deserves to start at FS, he improves the team. Gay is a good backup and Samual is a great Nickel Corner. Why not take advantage of that scenario?

mgcolby said:
I don't agree. I think Geno would be a better corner than Samual, I also believe that Hawkins deserves to start at FS, he improves the team. Gay is a good backup and Samual is a great Nickel Corner. Why not take advantage of that scenario?

I can't for the life of me figure out why you would want to take your best corner and move him to the nickel. If Wilson was meant to play corner, he would have been playing there last season when our secondary was decimated by injuries. He's a safety and a damn good one at that. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Who says Samuel is our "best corner?" Hobbs is one of our starting CBs, period. Geno, while primarily a safety, HAS played CB for the Pats, and I think - given the abundance of safeties - will see more action there this year. HOWEVER...

people REALLY need to stop reading into the first day of TC. Beli is likely just cultivating versatility. I'm as excited as everyone else, but let's keep it in perspective. This stuff happens EVERY year with BB.

patsox23 said:
Who says Samuel is our "best corner?" Hobbs is one of our starting CBs, period. Geno, while primarily a safety, HAS played CB for the Pats, and I think - given the abundance of safeties - will see more action there this year. HOWEVER...

people REALLY need to stop reading into the first day of TC. Beli is likely just cultivating versatility. I'm as excited as everyone else, but let's keep it in perspective. This stuff happens EVERY year with BB.
I've said it before - more people should be listening to this guy.

pats1 said:

No jumping to conclusions was good advice.

Wilson said in a read today that you shouldn't read anything in this. They
have practiced him at Corner in previous TCs. This is just part of getting
versatility he said.

I also read another report that said with the league now putting 3 very good
WRs on the field at one time a saftey has to be able to play corner and
play is as well as CB. This could definitely be BB preparing the team for the
conditions that exist today and what they will face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back