PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looks like we're getting Taylor or Peppers...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots FO apparently doesn't see a problem at LB. Could we add an aging player as FA sure? Wahtt makes you think that they would not have drafted a guy to develop while the old timer plays? Yet they didn't although, they had all the opportunities in the World.

I think it says they don't really care whether they sign a vet or not, nor draft a LB either. The only thing that makes sense is the team has the talent already. Just like Cassel, when everybody called him a bum, but the Coaching staff didn't. They were right then, and are probably right now, too.

Last edited:
No OLB taken, could this mean J. Taylor

Overall i thought it was a good draft, but i'm really curious about the OLB situation. I'm thinking the whole time: When will we be drafting an OLB/Barwin :p
Could the fact that BB didn't draft an OLB mean that they're really trying to get Jason Taylor? He did trade out of the first round, which could be a sign that he wanted to save money to sign Taylor. Or do you guys all believe that Crable will pan out and that Woods and Tully will contribute?

Re: No OLB taken, could this mean J. Taylor

That was the first thing that came to mind also, wonder if there is some type of agreement somewhere that he will sign here after all the early camps...

BB definately believes more in what he has now then what he could have got in the draft. and he does like his tall olb's. none of the draft prospects were that tall. i think they were all about 6 1 to 6 2 . woods, crable and redd are all over 6 5. did anyone of the olb have anything on this>

Shawn Crable Scouting Report - 2008 NFL Draft Prospect

You could take the view that we saved a fair bit of money yesterday .. perfect for JT

Personally I think he comes ... prob after initial camps etc

BB definately believes more in what he has now then what he could have got in the draft. and he does like his tall olb's. none of the draft prospects were that tall. i think they were all about 6 1 to 6 2 . woods, crable and redd are all over 6 5. did anyone of the olb have anything on this>

Shawn Crable Scouting Report - 2008 NFL Draft Prospect

I was curious about that too. Willie, Vrabes, and our current guys are pretty tall, and the guys yesterday really werent. Then again, height isnt everything. I'm just gonna go back to thinking BB knows more than me :D

I also think BB doesn't like paying unproven DE who are going to be OLB for us. They're an enormous risk. I do think he might had targeted L. English but would only have taken him if he fell to us at 23. Who is still a tall OLB in the draft? Maybe Michael Johnson?

Why would Jason Taylor wait for the draft to come here and work himself into the Patriots system? He would have signed already. IMO he's going to sign with Miami (they still have a need) and he's waiting because he he knows the team probably doesn't want to go through the offseason workouts at his age. He knows what he needs to do to get in shape for TC.

Why? I think if today tells us anything, it's that the Pats probably have a deal worked out with Taylor already. JMO

Because why wait? If BB thought he was going to draft an OLB instead of signing Taylor he had plenty of chances to do so, but it never happened. He knew he wasn't looking at a OLB so he could have signed Taylor months ago.

From Taylor's perspective, why would he wait to sign and start working with this new team? Not starting on the right foot imo.

Sorry to give you bad news. Miami didn't draft any linebackkers

which means Taylor probably goes to Miami.

I don't think so I don't even think Miami wants him back their just doing their PR to make it look like they want him. Look the reason Joey Porter sucked was because they had Porter playing over the TE thats not his game once Taylor was traded Porter was allowed to go to his natural position and you saw the results last year. Taylor and Porter play the same position opposite the TE thats why I don't think Taylor will be resigning with Miami.

Why would Jason Taylor wait for the draft to come here and work himself into the Patriots system? He would have signed already. IMO he's going to sign with Miami (they still have a need) and he's waiting because he he knows the team probably doesn't want to go through the offseason workouts at his age. He knows what he needs to do to get in shape for TC.

Miami does not need Taylor he and Porter play the same postion. Which is why Porter had a great year last year didn't have to line up over the TE like he had to when Taylor was there.

"No OLB taken, could this mean J. Taylor?" No, it means BB isn't reading my memos. :enranged: And, that he's pleased with the progress and potential of the current kids on the roster. :woohoo:

It could mean that Taylor is in the wings, but I also think it means that BB sees some talent in the group of Crable, Redd, Woods, and TBC.

I think Barwin was an interesting project and English had some value, but obviously BB didn't since he passed over them both. I have my own opinion on these things, but I'm smart enough to know that he knows many, many times more about football than I ever will.

We'll just have to see.

Taylor said at the beginning of the process that he wasn't going to try to sign on with a team until after the draft. I don't know if he really needs to sign on with the Pats until minicamps in May or June to pick up the Pats' system. He played under Saban in Miami who had a very similiar defense as the Patriots. He has been in the league for over a decade and OLB is a position on the Pats' defense that might be one of the easiest to pick up.

Beside, he has never played under the current Dolphins' system. It is as foreign to him as the Patriots' system is.

I dont want Taylor. He is older than Vrabel and will want money like Vrabel. He wants to wait till after the camps, but IMO if you are new to the team you should be there to learn the system. I hope we grab a nice pass rusher in the draft!!

It seems like with the trade of Hobbs for what many view as too little value, NE is clearing cap space so . . .

It seems like with the trade of Hobbs for what many view as too little value, NE is clearing cap space so . . .

I agree. They save upwards of $2 mill on the Hobbs trade. Peppers or Taylor are coming.

Passrush help is coming for the Pats, but he's gonna be a veteran. JT seems the most likely choice right now.

I just don't understand how the Panthers, who have maybe 6 million in cap space, can possibly afford to absorb Pepper's one year tag of 16 million. Is there something I'm missing? If Pepper's holds out long enough and the Panthers don't clear cap space, wouldn't they have to take the tag off at the signing deadline? From what I have heard, the only way the Panthers can keep Peppers, is if they sign him to a long term deal.

I think that most of us agree that the Pats need serious help at the OLB spot. At worst, I'd give Woods a full season to see what he can do, assuming he becomes the full time starter. However, because of his athletic ability, I'd rather see Crable emerge and start full time at OLB.

Last edited:
extend vince he deserves a contract more then peppers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes