PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looks Like They're In Hot Pursuit After Our Pioli Again ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychoPat

Role Player
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
No, not the Jints; this time, the Phins!

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/16376896.htm

Huizenga told assembled media that he valued our input in terms of how to help the club, so I'd like to take him up on his offer and drop the following two-word note in the Suggestion Box:

Scott Pioli.

Hire this man, because he is more important than a head coach. Pay him what you must and give him more power than you'd like, because he is proven.

Huizenga said, "We're gonna go out there and kick some butt. I can guarantee that."

Well, luring Pioli away from your chief AFC East rival and roadblock would be a butt-kicking heard `round the NFL. I can guarantee THAT.

Pioli, 41, is the New England Patriots' VP in charge of player personnel, the expert drafter, free-agent getter and depth-builder who, behind the scenes, helps make Bill Belichick look so good. Pioli is NFL state-of-the-art in terms of creating a championship club.

"I don't care what it takes, what's involved, what it costs." When Huizenga said that, I immediately thought how Pioli might be lure-able by whatever team could offer him a challenge, a fat wallet and a promotion by giving him something closer to complete control than he now has under Belichick.

Now you'll hear dozens of names of possible next coaches flying around - Jim Mora, Mike Martz, Mike Sherman, Ron Rivera, Norm Chow, Ken Whisenhut maybe everybody but Lou Saban, the Best Available Saban - but none of their hiring would make the statement that landing Pioli would.

Miami ought to make a priority of hiring this guy away from the Patriots and trusting him to lead the search for a new coach. Hire him if you can knowing the next draft wouldn't settle for a Jason Allen, and the next round of free agency wouldn't miss on an L.J. Shelton.

Getting Pioli would be a major coup and perhaps the only immediate development that might be even more important to the Dolphins than the full return to health of Daunte Culpepper.

It would put a franchise in desperate need of direction and guidance in the hands of the sport's most accomplished assembler of talent and team.

That's how you start putting this Saban mess and two-year waste cleanly behind you, Wayne, since you asked for my input and all.

Not by first hiring a new coach.

By first hiring the one man most likely to make the new coach look like a genius

- edited extract

It Makes Sense for Miami,but Pioli, If he ever decides to leave could do much better than having an owner that's been rumored to sell the franchise.

Why don't they go after someone from the GREAT DON SHULA TREE of coaches. Seeing as he so great; some of that must have rubbed off on his assistants......

Only a greedy fool would go to Miami with HumZinger as an owner ... Pioli is he ever leaves will go 1st class ... no Humzingers or Jerry JackAzz Jones for him.

Humzinger should go after Bill PoPo-Polian and make him a part owner ... now that would make it a real circus.

Last edited:
If Paul Allen can't lure Pioli away, why would he go to Miami? I think we've all seen what happens to personnel who leave the Pats, be it players or coaches. They tank. Belichick and Pioli have a kizmit goin on here that goes beyond extraordinary, it can't and won't be replicated anywhere else.

If Paul Allen can't lure Pioli away, why would he go to Miami? I think we've all seen what happens to personnel who leave the Pats, be it players or coaches. They tank. Belichick and Pioli have a kizmit goin on here that goes beyond extraordinary, it can't and won't be replicated anywhere else.

Bingo. Where do these clowns get off thinking they know what Pioli wants.

"I don't care what it takes, what's involved, what it costs." When Huizenga said that, I immediately thought how Pioli might be lure-able by whatever team could offer him a challenge, a fat wallet and a promotion by giving him something closer to complete control than he now has under Belichick.

If that were all it would take he'd have been long gone by now.

Bingo. Where do these clowns get off thinking they know what Pioli wants.

If that were all it would take he'd have been long gone by now.

.... :yeahthat: ........................ :eat3: ............................. :yeahthat:

Last edited:
Why don't they go after someone from the GREAT DON SHULA TREE of coaches. Seeing as he so great; some of that must have rubbed off on his assistants......
Yup, his son Mike is available now that Bama hired Saban to replace him...

Pioli could do a lot worse than Miami. The owner is a very rich but hands-off guy whose major annoyance seems to be that he has to get involved again after he thought he had settled the coaching situation for 5 years. Pioli would get a ton of money and absolute carte blanche.

Last edited:
What I find hilarious is that Saban wasn't the GM. Randy Mueller is. Why is Huzienga talking about getting PIOLI?

Huzienga just SLAMMED his current GM and basically said YOUR FIRED. Even if Mueller has a job, if I was him, I'd quit and file a grievance against Huzienga for trying to fill a position that wasn't vacant.

You guys are right when you say that the Dolphins are turning into the AFC version of the LIONS. And it lends itself more to the idea that Taylor will ask to be released or will retire.

What I find hilarious is that Saban wasn't the GM. Randy Mueller is. Why is Huzienga talking about getting PIOLI?

Huzienga just SLAMMED his current GM and basically said YOUR FIRED. Even if Mueller has a job, if I was him, I'd quit and file a grievance against Huzienga for trying to fill a position that wasn't vacant.

Actually, I don't think Huzienga has breathed a word about Pioli or any other GM candidate. It was just the columnist's suggestion. Nonetheless, it's hard to picture Saban's hand-picked personnel guru who oversaw a couple of mediocre drafts surviving for long. If they could somehow lure Pioli it would be a no-brainer, but I just don't see it. Not to Miami.

But Mueller apparently hated Saban because he had no real power... he was just an administrator taking care of contract details at Saban's direction. The final word was always Sabans' and we have seen time and time again that that's a prescription for disaster if the coach isn't a superior talent evaluator plus willing to delegate responsibility and trust others.

On the other hand, Mueller was the perfect person for the job because he's essentially a bean counter anyway, not a football guy. The Dolphins would be better off to replace him.

Should Pioli leave, it will be interesting to see how successful he is elsewhere without BB by his side.

I don't want to take away anthing that the guy has accomplished here but one of the things that has made the Pats so successful in recent years is that Belichick was looking for a certain type of player for his system and Pioli knew exactly what that was.

We have seen players and coaches leave NE and not achieve the same type of success they had here. Crennell is a good example and not to knock him but it may just be that he's not in the right situation.

Whether or not Pioli can surround himself with the type of personnel that will be able to achieve success elsewhere remains to be seen. And while he may leave just for the sole reason that he feels it's time for a new challenge (and of course more money), the grass just may not be greener in other pastures.

You guys are right when you say that the Dolphins are turning into the AFC version of the LIONS. And it lends itself more to the idea that Taylor will ask to be released or will retire.

Huzienga wants what the Pats have. The Jets have nothing yet. Pioli isn't going anywhere. Paul Allen has deeper pockets than Kraft and Huzienga combined, and that wasn't enough to lure him away. Miami's a third world city, with fair weather fans. Let them get Ron Wolf, he did wonders with Green Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes