PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looks like the Pats will be in London longer than expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flying farther south would be insanity. Just because you can't get a flight doesn't mean the actual airports close. Logan probably won't throughout, although they may shut down operations for a time between mid day tomorrow through mid day Tuesday simply because they won't have planes to land or take off because of airline cancellations which are largely preplanned due to not wanting their aircraft or crews at their expense stuck in the midst of a storm.

Again, the storm isn't going to get bad here until mid day tomorrow and into tomorrow night. Schools are closed tomorrow and the state is closing it's offices and asking private employers to consider doing the same. Not because you won't be able to get around at all tomorrow, but because by mid day you won't want to be out in it and they don't want a lot of people other than first responders clogging up the works. The MBTA is still running and has not announced any plans to shut down (although they likely will by mid afternoon). It's not the wind speed that will do the damage here, it's the duration. FWIW the weather channel is on the the background and they just said there are NY area airports (JFK, LaGuardia, Newark) remain open at this time.

I didn't have a flight cancelled then assume the airport must be closed. Fyi, I have about 300 takes offs and 600k flown in the last 4 years so I don't speak from a blowing smoke POV. You name the irrops and I have probably lived it (probably). In this instance I held tix on 2 different airlines (UA and AA) for Sunday (into JFK) and with multiple changes all Saturday night and Sunday morning (and tried other airlines). It ended up Sunday morning flights were cancelled across the board for anything landing post 7pm (at least for takeoffs from my home airport): AA didn't do the cancellations today/Sunday until 10am, UA was on Saturday, don't know when others followed suit. Tried BWI, PHL, JFK, EWR, IAD, anywhere that I could get a rental and make the drive to central NJ. Bottom line, for me, if I wasn't on a flight that took off prior to 9am, I was out of luck (meaning I was out of luck). Sucked because on Friday I had moved up my original itinerary from Monday to Sunday (to a different airline) hoping to beat the possibility of the cancellations.

With that said, absolutely, FAA/ATC will open/close/limit as they see conditions allow. If conditions have not gotten too bad with crosswind/slick runway, the airport may remain open. And of course each airline's operations will have multiple factors that go into their decisions for large amounts of cancellations. But when you see a very wide swath of airlines cancelling everything or almost everything? That is worthy of suggesting the Patriots plane will likely have to divert -- even with a "it won't be as bad as suspected and won't be until tomorrow' forecast.

But with that said (not to turn this into Flyertalk), if you or anyone hears of Logan opening up for operations on a wide basis, let me know. My plans now have me needing to get into Logan by Wednesday evening.

Last edited:
The Patriots will be OK...but the news is all bad for the Jets...there are no flights OUT of Jersey....

I didn't have a flight cancelled then assume the airport must be closed. Fyi, I have about 300 takes offs and 600k flown in the last 4 years so I don't speak from a blowing smoke POV. You name the irrops and I have probably lived it (probably). In this instance I held tix on 2 different airlines (UA and AA) for Sunday (into JFK) and with multiple changes all Saturday night and Sunday morning (and tried other airlines). It ended up Sunday morning flights were cancelled across the board for anything landing post 7pm (at least for takeoffs from my home airport): AA didn't do the cancellations today/Sunday until 10am, UA was on Saturday, don't know when others followed suit. Tried BWI, PHL, JFK, EWR, IAD, anywhere that I could get a rental and make the drive to central NJ. Bottom line, for me, if I wasn't on a flight that took off prior to 9am, I was out of luck (meaning I was out of luck). Sucked because on Friday I had moved up my original itinerary from Monday to Sunday (to a different airline) hoping to beat the possibility of the cancellations.

With that said, absolutely, FAA/ATC will open/close/limit as they see conditions allow. If conditions have not gotten too bad with crosswind/slick runway, the airport may remain open. And of course each airline's operations will have multiple factors that go into their decisions for large amounts of cancellations. But when you see a very wide swath of airlines cancelling everything or almost everything? That is worthy of suggesting the Patriots plane will likely have to divert -- even with a "it won't be as bad as suspected and won't be until tomorrow' forecast.

But with that said (not to turn this into Flyertalk), if you or anyone hears of Logan opening up for operations on a wide basis, let me know. My plans now have me needing to get into Logan by Wednesday evening.

Again, the airport is open. Your problem is the airlines have cancelled most if not all their incoming flights. They do that moreso so their equipment doesn't get stuck on the ground and out of service in an area. The team is on a 747 charter...and local conditions in Boston won't be such that it cannot land safely until after noontime.

The Patriots will be OK...but the news is all bad for the Jets...there are no flights OUT of Jersey....

Heading into a bye...and being shredded by fans and mediots alike. Although the storm news may provide them some cover... Fans on Gangreen are working up to offering their GM, HC and QB free rides out of town on a rail...

Our entire franchise seems to be MIA... Channel 7 reported 2 hours ago they were stuck at Heathrow. But it likely was based on Spikes typical tweet that "This sucks" which was sent right around 5AM London time. Breer now tweets that his league sources say they did leave. Breer now speculates we don't know to where... If they left at 5AM (1AM our time) they'd have arrived about an hour ago... The really weird part is twitter seems silent as far as player tweets. I figured that meant they were enroute, otherwise we'd be hearing about escapades as it is now early afternoon in London.

Pretty stupid of them to hurry back. What's the hurry? They are on bye and will have the next few days off anyway. That's enough time for Gronk to learn that Buckingham palace isn't exactly guarded by the 'little nutcracker dude."

Pretty stupid of them to hurry back. What's the hurry? They are on bye and will have the next few days off anyway. That's enough time for Gronk to learn that Buckingham palace isn't exactly guarded by the 'little nutcracker dude."

Some of them have wives and small children weathering the storm (Vince and Bianca both are likely anxious to get home to their kids and whomever is staying with them) and others may have had plans and family already awaiting them planning on getting away for a few days. Want to get medicals on the injured ASAP and coaches want to complete game review and preliminary plans for Buffalo so they too can take a break. The CBA mandates players get a minimum of 4 consecutive days off over the bye. Teams usually make it a little more if they can. This eats into that ability as they will be back at it next Monday.

Families

I've been fortunate enough to witness the Changing of the Guard several times and, the first time I saw it, I actually had the passing thought that they kind of look like "the little nutcracker dude." And, before you dismiss me as just another uncouth American tourist...well, don't...

Last edited:
I didn't have a flight cancelled then assume the airport must be closed. Fyi, I have about 300 takes offs and 600k f...

As someone who, unfortunately, could easily match you flight for flight over the years, most of them International globally and the returns all into JFK or EWR, I think you're making the mistake of assuming that they are constrained by a Commercial airline's equipment issues.

Retweeted by Jason LaCanfora:

David Tossell‏@David_Tossell

For those asking, both #NFLLondon teams were able to fly this morning. The NE Patriots' landing destination to be determined during flight

If they aren't too much longer they should be able to land at Logan. Much beyond noontime that window may close. Airport is still open with some, although not much activity as far as take offs and landings. Right now the weather here is still fine, some gusty winds but not consistent and not above 40 MPH. They are closing down public transit at 2PM.

From what I gather their flight is due to land at Logan (weather permitting) at around 11.30am local time.

From what I gather their flight is due to land at Logan (weather permitting) at around 11.30am local time.

They should have left London a half an hour sooner...The wind is just starting to pick up and gust a little more intensly on schedule... I assume those with city digs won't be making the bus trip to Foxboro...and back.

They should have left London a half an hour sooner...The wind is just starting to pick up and gust a little more intensly on schedule... I assume those with city digs won't be making the bus trip to Foxboro...and back.

Yeah I think they got delayed at London for some reason which was unfortunate as the earlier the departure the better. I was told they left and due to arrive at Logan around 11.30 local time. Now either there is some tailwind or they have made great time as calculated flight time seems to be less than 6 hrs.

Look around twitter for pictures of Atlantic City. Its filling with water already.

Look around twitter for pictures of Atlantic City. Its filling with water already.

Yeah, I saw that and it's only the first of 2-3 tidal surges that will get progressively worse and well in advance of landfall.

Yeah I think they got delayed at London for some reason which was unfortunate as the earlier the departure the better. I was told they left and due to arrive at Logan around 11.30 local time. Now either there is some tailwind or they have made great time as calculated flight time seems to be less than 6 hrs.

If they are on Virgin I think they are landing as I type... Only flight coming across the pond that matches and nothing commercial left for Boston this AM.

If they are on Virgin I think they are landing as I type... Only flight coming across the pond that matches and nothing commercial left for Boston this AM.

Very good possibility. Branson WAS in the box with Kraft during the Denver game.

Last edited:

Yes landed 5 mins ago

Yay!! It was them. They are all tweeting now, landed safely!

Yeah they should be and it will have a longer than usual (four digit) flight number and should be showing on the airport arrivals page.

Late down here now so I'm signing off...Take care everyone and look after yourselves during the bad weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back