PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

looks like the Jets got only 1 4th for Edwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Herm seems like a nice dude, I mean it. I bet that motor mouth really gets cranking after a few cold ones! A great guy to have for a friend or an uncle but not for an NFL coach. of course, many coaches look much better the second time around. Look no farther than our own BB.

The thing with Herm is that it points out the amazingly diverse assesments of coaches around the league. the jets couldn't wait to shove him out the door while KC was happily making a deal to get him. How can there be such enormous variations in opinion in such a small league - only 32 head coaches? People clearly see what they want...good and bad - all depending what they need to see.

Probably because the Jets are horrible at picking head coaches. Herm will probably go to KC and take them to the playoffs after seeing one team ship him out. He'll probably see the major erros in his coaching style and change a few of them, which in turn would be a great change from some of the blundering he has done in NY.

THIS guy gets it:

If you live in the Kansas City area, you're probably under the impression that the Chiefs are going to swindle the Jets out of a coaching genius today. After a couple days of tense stop-and-start negotiations, K.C. is expected to hire Herman Edwards -- master motivator, defensive wizard, former Chiefs assistant and longtime pal of team GM Carl Peterson -- away from New York, and all it will cost them is a couple of mid-round draft picks. (Edwards, who led the Jets to three playoffs appearances in five seasons, still has two years left on his contract.) That, and the $4 million or so per year that Edwards will ask for.

If you're a New Yorker, you're probably wondering why the Jets played hardball when the Chiefs wanted to swing a deal for Edwards. Judging by his team's clock management throughout his tenure, he's under the impression an NFL quarter is 20 minutes long, not 15. And, after a 4-12 season, he had the nerve to drop hints that he's unappreciated and underpaid. (His $2 million annual salary was among the lowest in the league.) OK, it's not his fault that injuries knocked off every quarterback he could find this season, but in the cutthroat NFL, it wasn't the best time to start sniffing around for more money and respect.

If you're from anywhere else in the country, you're probably wondering this: Is the pool of NFL coaching candidates so shallow that teams have to fight over a guy like Edwards? Once upon a time trades for coaches under contract were reserved for heavyweights like Bill Parcells and **** Vermeil. Edwards has his strengths, and his upbeat approach is a welcome departure from the permascowls most coaches affect. But in terms of results, he's nothing special. There's his losing career record (41-46, including postseason). He's won just two playoff games. He never led the Jets to more than 10 wins in a season.

In other words, it's hard to figure why the Chiefs are so hellbent on hiring Edwards -- and why the Jets didn't just add him to the list of the league's coaching casualties on Black Monday. In the ridiculous world of NFL coaching, one team's golden boy is another's redheaded stepchild. Remember that, K.C. fans, when you're calling for Edwards' head in three years.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stephen_cannella/01/06/the.rant/index.html

hwc said:
How are they going to get rid of Pennington? They signed him to a franchise QB contract. I think there is a huge dead money cap hit associated with cutting him and an even worse cap hit associated with keeping him.

My thoughts exactly. I think it's (his contract) there on Google images
under albatross or cap h*ll.
Just my $0.02,

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes