PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looks like Sexy Rexy is serious about attacking with the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Maybe an upgrade or two on the O-Line wouldn't be such a bad idea?

ProFootballTalk.com - JETS EMBRACING ‘46′ ROOTS

Under the leadership of newly-hired New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, the influence and background of his father, fiery former NFL coach Buddy Ryan, is already having an impact on the makeup of the coaching staff.

Reaching back to his father’s roots as the inventor of the aggressive ‘46′ defense that terrorized quarterbacks with the Chicago Bears during the 1980s, Rex Ryan has reportedly hired hard-hitting former Bears safety Doug Plank as the Jets’ assistant defensive backs coach.

A former head coach with the currently defunct Arena Football League’s Georgia Force, Plank is expected to coach the safeties. The elder Ryan regarded Plank so highly that he named his innovative defense after the No. 46 jersey Plank wore in Chicago.

BB has seen the "46" before, I'm sure he's just quaking in his boots.

1631_impress_me.jpg

interesting

A few thoughts:

1) If I'm not mistaken, Rex talked about doing this when he was first hired by Baltimore, and Billick said, "Um, NO!"

2) I always thought the "46" defense meant that you had the four linemen and then six more guys (i.e. the LBs and all but one of the secondary) going after the QB. I never knew it was "named" after a particular guy.

3) Let's get serious here. This defense destroyed everyone who dared oppose it for one year. In just one offseason enough coaches had figured out ways to defeat it that it went the way of the "run-n-shoot" offense. Does this clown really think he can make it work in today's league?

BB has seen the "46" before, I'm sure he's just quaking in his boots.

1631_impress_me.jpg

LMAO. That has to be one of the best lolcats pics I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back