PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looks like Pats getting 33rd pick too

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the eternal hope that one year the Patriots will own picks 1 through 32 in a single season. :p

I'd say its looking like that will happen in the year 2071, hopefully BB is still around as a cyborg to make the picks.

Belichick only gains pleasure from two things in life, collecting draft picks and winning the superbowl. If Belichick wins the Superbowl this year there will be much warmth in his cold, dark heart.

Why not? Oakland did. We could sure use him.

no they franchised him. We prioritised wilfork over seymour. i can't believe we are having this discussion again.

The 3rd rounder we get from the Vikings is looking good right about now too....

Let's recap some: The Patriots are supposedly "rebuilding" and are 9-2 with a chance to take control of our division, as well as the AFC by defeating the JEST on MNF. This "rebuilding" team will have 6 picks in the first three rounds in the next draft........

Raiders = (between #12 and #18) call it 17
Ours = (between #26 and #32) call it 32
Panthers = (between #33 and #34 call it 33
Ours = (between #54 and # 64) call it 64
Vikings = (between #72 and #78) call it 75
Ours = (between #90 and #96) call it 96

BB will be salivating come Spring and the Draft!

GO PATS!

Last edited:
32 and 33.. I like the sounds of that. ;)
FWIW, the last time a team had something similar to this (Oakland had the 31st and 32nd picks in 2003), one of the picks turned into Nnamdi Asomugha.

Umm, no. Since we can't go back in your time, your choices are treating the September 2009 trade like a 2011 1 or a 2010 2.

You have almost 12,000 posts and you are arguing with me on this?.

The compensation for Seymour is 2 full season removed.

2009-2010
2010-2011

I dont care if Seymour was traded on draft day 2009, June, July, Aug whatever. Sep. 2009. Who cares. There is a 2 season gap.

BTW, you can only say that Seymour was traded for a first if it happened on draft day 2009 and BB made a pick the same day.

As it ended up being, its equivalent to a 3rd rounder.

Last edited:
just so we are on the same page, it is common for a draft pick trade to be discounted one round for ever year it is removed from the date of the deal.

The Patriots traded Sey for a pick 2 full season removed, so I'd say its more like a 3rd round pick.

Unless you think that Belichick and Patricia can hold up that piece of paper that says "2012 pick" from the sideline to instantly stop the play when Peyton Hillis (2011) or Ray Rice (2010) scream through the d-line on a 30 yard rush.

First of all i don't think that value system is strictly correct. Yes i agree most years you get the 3rd rounder swapped for a 2nd the next year or a high 2nd for a 1st the next year. But i don't think it's strictly the case. e.g hey here's our 3rd this year give me your 1st in 2 years... if it was i would make that trade every year.

Second this is the 2nd draft after the trade... so really it's 1 year removed we were either going to get last years Oakland 2nd or this years 1st.

So i think your slightly off there

The 3rd rounder we get from the Vikings is looking good right about now too....

Let's recap some: The Patriots are supposedly "rebuilding" and are 9-2 with a chance to take control of our division, as well as the AFC by defeating the JEST on MNF. This "rebuilding" team will have 6 picks in the first three rounds in the next draft........

Raiders = (between #12 and #18) call it 17
Ours = (between #26 and #32) call it 32
Panthers = (between #33 and #34 call it 33
Ours = (between #54 and # 64) call it 64
Vikings = (between #72 and #78) call it 75
Ours = (between #90 and #96) call it 96

BB will be salivating come Spring and the Draft!

GO PATS!

Question is, how many 3rd round picks are we gonna end up getting after trading down?:D

Belichick only gains pleasure from two things in life, collecting draft picks and winning the superbowl. If Belichick wins the Superbowl this year there will be much warmth in his cold, dark heart.
What happened, did Belichick piss in your Cheerios on his way out of your house and your mom's bedroom? Or are you still in mourning over someone like Connor Barwin not being drafted by the Pats?

we can draft a player with the Raiders pick.

Then we trade for a 2011 2nd and a 2012 1st with each of those ...

3 first rounders in 2012 .... could be an easy guess perhaps? :D:D:D

This is exactly the type of thinking that got us in the catbird's seat, and I see no reason to abandon it now, provided it continues to yield high rewards.

Take Carolina to see how they've done the opposite, and the consequences. In 2008, they went deep into the playoffs and thought they were just a few pieces from a championship. They had no first rounder in 2009 (due to a trade the year before), so they traded their 2010 first round pick for a 2009 second rounder and selected Everett Brown. They convinced themselves that he was first round talent and they'd have a low first round pick the next year. Well, the next year, they ended up giving away a mid-first round pick instead. So they went from 14th to the 43rd overall pick with no compensation.

Last year, same thing with the Pats. They convinced themselves that their third round pick was actually a second rounder and desperately made a dumb decision again. They are going from the 33rd pick to the 89th pick this time.

To recap, Carolina's draft strategy and why you should not be tempted to sacrifice future draft for this years "steals":

Carolina's Actual Draft Picks in 2009 (first round)-2010 (second round)
14th and 33rd

Carolina's Exchanged Draft picks- where they actually picked after trades
43rd (Everett Brown) and 89th (Armanti Edwards)

It's not hard to see why some teams are not very successful.

It's basic math. If you can see further than the present "pressing needs" and look at the value, this isn't that difficult. Obviously, if someone were to offer you the 14th and 33rd picks for the 43rd and 89th, you'd be nuts not to take it. Belichick understands that value is value, regardless of which year it takes place.

Last edited:
Hopefully Carolina doesn't win any more games. They had me worried yesterday until the best team in the NFC according to Tony Dungy managed to come back at home against the worst team in football.

There are three 2-win teams in the Bungles, Bills, and Lions, and none of those guys look like they'll win another game this season. Another win by the Panthers could push that pick back a few spots depending on the tie-breakers. Hopefully they stay at 1-win to keep it simple.

Hopefully Carolina doesn't win any more games. They had me worried yesterday until the best team in the NFC according to Tony Dungy managed to come back at home against the worst team in football.

There are three 2-win teams in the Bungles, Bills, and Lions, and none of those guys look like they'll win another game this season. Another win by the Panthers could push that pick back a few spots depending on the tie-breakers. Hopefully they stay at 1-win to keep it simple.

I've paid fairly close attention to Buffalo and the Bills and they should win some more games. I'm not looking forward to us playing Buffalo. Just look at the teams they have almost beaten. Same with the Lions, they not that bad. The Bengals almost won yesterday, a really dumb play at the end of the game, which is actually why those teams don't win more games.
We will probably trade one of those 2nd or 3rd round picks for a future draft. Why not, it's rather nice having an extra low round pick.

If you say this you do not understand BB....

With that being said, we have 6 of the first 96 picks of this years draft.. there will be the futile argument days before the draft that no one wants to trade picks with the Pats.. then on the day of the draft they forego their "high ground" and do something stupid.

And the cycle repeats...

NE is gonna have back-to-back picks with #32 and #33!

Book it!

Seymour's 2009 season wasn't worth a 1st. That's all the Pats lost, since they weren't going to resign him.

... and getting a 1st round pick to replace a short term guy for the long term (assuming a team decided to use their draft pick at that position) is a pretty good football move as well

of course there's no buarantee with any player or pick, but the move still holds up as solid

Serifyn said:

Ron Sellers said:
]What happened, did Belichick piss in your Cheerios on his way out of your house and your mom's bedroom? Or are you still in mourning over someone like Connor Barwin not being drafted by the Pats?

Lol, wow so a tongue in cheek comment about Belichick merits a personal attack huh? i realize its game day but take a chill pill brah.

If you say this you do not understand BB....

With that being said, we have 6 of the first 96 picks of this years draft.. there will be the futile argument days before the draft that no one wants to trade picks with the Pats.. then on the day of the draft they forego their "high ground" and do something stupid.

And the cycle repeats...

Even if i was completely serious, which i wasent, obviously Belichick gains sick twisted pleasure in watching his children grow and succeed in life, and he obviously smiles a malicious smile when a player he drafts make a impact play in their first year. he likely gains dark joy as his maniacal machinations play out on gameday.

Though said in jest, my original statement isnt too far from the truth. Belichick has done much in his career and has little left to prove to anyone aside from that he is capable of winning more Superbowls and is capable of creating a potential new dynasty through teambuilding and the draft.

don't misinterpret my statement as an insult, there is no one else i would rather have coaching this football team.

Fans might complain about the trading of picks, but there are very few franchises in the modern era of salary cap, which have the Patriots winning record. Pittsburgh always comes to mind as a comparison.......not bad. Not only that, I smell another dynasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back