PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking forward to the new Sports Radio Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, no offense here, but you're just flat-out wrong about this. I have great respect for Rob, and I had no intention of making it personal.

OK then, back to the battle of station preferences :cool:

T-minus three hours until airtime.

Last edited:
little birdie says 3am - 1pm will be all 3 patriots super bowls (the wins) re-run.

That's how you introduce Boston to your new radio station ? Instant replay ? Radio calls that we've all heard 1000 times now on our DVDs? If this launch took place in 2005, I'd say that might be a great idea... but this is 2009.

Someone here said that the new station is playing it rather 'low-key'... but with programming decisions like that, it doesn't sound 'low-key' to me, it sounds 'not-ready'.

I can't wait for a few months down the road for when people to see Felger for what he is once again. Manufactured, contrived contrarian - takes positions, some completely without merit, just to stir the pot, because he believes that makes for 'good radio'. Love the bloggers who claim 'Felger's show was great when it started... but then he decided to change it after a year and became more like EEI.' Uhhh, no, he didn't change one single bit - YOU DID. You got SICK of listening to his tired, contrived, whining act.

I want to like the new station, but they're not even on the air yet and god damn if they aren't making it hard for me. Two of the most condescending, holier than thou a-holes in this town on afternoon drive... just throw in Dan Shaughnessy and you've got the trifecta. And Mr. Milquetoast from 10-2... one step up from Butch Stearns in the sports discussion arena. Zolak is the only one I like that they've announced -- but I'd have to listen to him over Dale and Holley, which I don't see happening on a regular basis.

Good luck to them though, one thing we all can agree on is that competition is a good thing.

98.5 FM Sports Hub will carry all the Pats games now with the changes to WBCN.

My biggest hope.....MORE FOOTBALL TALK!

Sorry man - you must have misunderstood... 98.5 will just have SONGS about Sports... you know, Jack Johnson "Mudfootball", "Take Me out to the Ballgame" - maybe they might even delve into some of the fringe sports music ("Kung Fu Fighting")... you and others have made a common mistake when they announced a new "Sports Radio"station.

Don't get your hopes up too high for a lot of Football music either... sadly the media here are still focused too heavilly on baseball... I'll bet they don't even start playing an equal share of football tunes until the Red Sox are done for the season.

Last edited:
I just don't understand the hate for Felger. I love the Pats as much as anyone. But, I will take the objective on looker over a big time homer like a Fred Smerlas anyday.

Even if you don't like Felger....at least he talks football. More than I can say for anyone else in this town.

When did Felger become an "objective onlooker"? He's all about himself and drumming up ratings.. Or did you miss his blatant shot at the posters here on Patsfans.com?

Quiet you ! Don't you know that only objective onlookers can make quality statements like 'Randy Moss won't even make the opening day roster' ! Felger objective !

anyone have an online link to listen live?

Here you go. Have a ball. Superbowl audio replay once it "launches" through 1PM tomorrow...Felger and Maz on an abreviated 1-4PM schedule and then the pre game show...doesn't say who is on that... I guess it's like their weekend programming, TBD. Honestly, that's what it lists for the weekend.

Boston Sports Talk Radio - CBSSports.com

PS Felger appeals most to fanboys with overblown egos...

WEEI works best when your IQ is lower than 75.

I'm going to have to take your word for that!

Seriously, I'm looking forward to the new station. I can't stand D&C and the Big Show: I find both shows really predictable and repetitive. I like Felger. He's likable but opinionated. He is also a football fan. I was disappointed to hear they were pairing him with Mazerotti. Maz doesn't bring much to the table at all - he's not very knowledgeable or witty, and he does not have a good radio voice.

Here you go. Have a ball. Superbowl audio replay once it "launches" through 1PM tomorrow...Felger and Maz on an abreviated 1-4PM schedule and then the pre game show...doesn't say who is on that... I guess it's like their weekend programming, TBD. Honestly, that's what it lists for the weekend.

Boston Sports Talk Radio - CBSSports.com

PS Felger appeals most to fanboys with overblown egos...

Thanks for the link...

C'mon, Rob. You've been acting like a cheerleader for the new station and overblowing everything against WEEI. As for "mediocre radio" any station with call-in formats will be mediocre. The next one I hear that's not will be the first. Frankly, the number of non "mediocre" free radio stations in the country can probably be counted on one hand, and maybe on one finger.

I want the new station to be successful and raise the bar for local sports radio for itself and WEEI. Why is that a bad thing and why is that not on everyone's priority. If WBZ is remotely decent and provides alternative programming to the endless Red Sox talk and over-rehashed hot button topics that WEEI is discussing (for example an hour a day per show on Patriots' training camp talk), how is that something you don't want to cheer on. If WBZ gets ratings and WEEI sees that there is an untapped market for Patriots talk and spends even a little more time on the Pats and less on the Sox, why would you be upset about that?

I have been down on WEEI for a long while. I have been bashing them for a long while especially D&C and Pete Sheppard. It is long before I even knew that there was a possibility of a FM based sports radio station. My distain for WEEI has been a long process.

As for them compared to other stations, I compare them more to themselves in the earlier parts of this decade and the late 90s. That was when WEEI was actually good. D&C actually talked sports and didn't really focus that much on politics. They always had their headlines segment, but politics didn't dominate other parts of the show like it does now. The Big Show always had their lowbrow humor (hence the Globe ban in 1999), but they have dumbed down the show quite a bit. Fred Smerlas used to be one of my favorite co-hosts, but when he doned the mink for the first time was when he decided to play a character rather than talk sports.

I have seen what WEEI has to offer and I haven't been impressed for a long time. People are writing off WBZ before they even broadcast a single minute of broadcast. We don't know for sure which Felger will show up. He could be the one who did an excellent talk show in the early days of his 890 show. I like Zo. I don't hate Tanguay. Why wouldn't I give it a shot? I think even if I don't listen to it, it will force WEEI to be better (there are already signs that they are changing their programming a bit to stave off WBZ FM). Again, why is that a bad thing?

Personally, I am just happy that there will be someone talking Patriots on a regular basis on one of the shows from now until the first week of September. I am guessing WEEI will not be that someone.

I don't get why everyone isn't a cheerleader for WBZ to be successful and hopefully decent to good. If they are, it is only a positive even if you don't listen to them. It benefits the listening public if they are successful and good. It benefits no one except the people at WEEI if they fail.

As for the comments Deus stated, I don't take them personally and am not offended.

Last edited:
98.5 FM Sports Hub will carry all the Pats games now with the changes to WBCN.

My biggest hope.....MORE FOOTBALL TALK!

I love the sox, but 24-7 baseball talk gets tedious.

Bad news.....more Felger.

Worse news....more Andy Gresch!

Gresch ... do these people want to make money or lose it.

The only thing Gresch will do for that station is make Felger look intelligent.

88737d340c_greshandzo03122008.jpg

Last edited:
They hired Felger?

Guess I won't be listening.

We don't know for sure which Felger will show up. He could be the one who did an excellent talk show in the early days of his 890 show.
This is a myth, you're remembering 'good old days' that never existed. Felger and his show never changed. This perceived change was that switch in your mind finally flipping when you realized "I'm tired of this act". I need only to point to his "coverage" of the Vinatieri departure, 6-8 months into his program.

I expect this switch to take less time this time around in the average listener's mind. Took 12-18 months last time on 890, I give it 6-12 months on 98.5 This doesn't include the people who will hate WEEI regardless of anything and endorse anything put up against them, but they're not listening to EEI now anyway.

But contrived people who take a side just for the sake or creating an argument get old and tiresome to listen to... mark my words, it will happen again.

I don't get why everyone isn't a cheerleader for WBZ to be successful and hopefully decent to good.
Four words...

Michael Felger
Tony Massarotti

This "repressed" Patriots fan with the Bruschi jersey in my closet will not endorse these two condescending clowns.

Last edited:
Icy, seeing the picture you posted almost made me puke in my mouth, and usually only multiple shots of Tequila or Peachtree Schnapps can make me do that.

Seriously, how the fokk does Gresh have a job anywhere near this market?

Last edited:
I want the new station to be successful and raise the bar for local sports radio for itself and WEEI. Why is that a bad thing and why is that not on everyone's priority. If WBZ is remotely decent and provides alternative programming to the endless Red Sox talk and over-rehashed hot button topics that WEEI is discussing (for example an hour a day per show on Patriots' training camp talk), how is that something you don't want to cheer on. If WBZ gets ratings and WEEI sees that there is an untapped market for Patriots talk and spends even a little more time on the Pats and less on the Sox, why would you be upset about that?

I have been down on WEEI for a long while. I have been bashing them for a long while especially D&C and Pete Sheppard. It is long before I even knew that there was a possibility of a FM based sports radio station. My distain for WEEI has been a long process.

As for them compared to other stations, I compare them more to themselves in the earlier parts of this decade and the late 90s. That was when WEEI was actually good. D&C actually talked sports and didn't really focus that much on politics. They always had their headlines segment, but politics didn't dominate other parts of the show like it does now. The Big Show always had their lowbrow humor (hence the Globe ban in 1999), but they have dumbed down the show quite a bit. Fred Smerlas used to be one of my favorite co-hosts, but when he doned the mink for the first time was when he decided to play a character rather than talk sports.

I have seen what WEEI has to offer and I haven't been impressed for a long time. People are writing off WBZ before they even broadcast a single minute of broadcast. We don't know for sure which Felger will show up. He could be the one who did an excellent talk show in the early days of his 890 show. I like Zo. I don't hate Tanguay. Why wouldn't I give it a shot? I think even if I don't listen to it, it will force WEEI to be better (there are already signs that they are changing their programming a bit to stave off WBZ FM). Again, why is that a bad thing?

Personally, I am just happy that there will be someone talking Patriots on a regular basis on one of the shows from now until the first week of September. I am guessing WEEI will not be that someone.

I don't get why everyone isn't a cheerleader for WBZ to be successful and hopefully decent to good. If they are, it is only a positive even if you don't listen to them. It benefits the listening public if they are successful and good. It benefits no one except the people at WEEI if they fail.

As for the comments Deus stated, I don't take them personally and am not offended.

Ehh..... I don't really care about the new station one way or the other. More sports talk means more opportunities to find a show that works for the individual, but nothing I've learned about the new station leads me to believe that It'll make for great radio. I do think it's ridiculous and telling for people do complain about D&C based upon their politics being 'far right' when they aren't, or based upon them not being a sports show when it's very common for a sports station to run non-sports for the morning drive, and I do think you've gone way over the top in your bashing of the station, but I'm very happy that you'll have something new to try.

Deus is right...the only time you ever catch ME calling EEI is when I do the Futility Motwu song in response to the uber-idiot Man on the way up.

Otherwise, any media in our area usually provides information better than anywhere else in this country...and the interviews with relevant sports personalities are the best anywhere IMO.

Besides...Patsfans has inflitrated EEI with our very own...and they treat Chris with respect...what more can we ask?

Tried to listen to the new station online this morning, but the online feed wouldn't load. Not a good start.

This is a myth, you're remembering 'good old days' that never existed. Felger and his show never changed. This perceived change was that switch in your mind finally flipping when you realized "I'm tired of this act". I need only to point to his "coverage" of the Vinatieri departure, 6-8 months into his program.

I expect this switch to take less time this time around in the average listener's mind. Took 12-18 months last time on 890, I give it 6-12 months on 98.5 This doesn't include the people who will hate WEEI regardless of anything and endorse anything put up against them, but they're not listening to EEI now anyway.

But contrived people who take a side just for the sake or creating an argument get old and tiresome to listen to... mark my words, it will happen again.

Four words...

Michael Felger
Tony Massarotti

This "repressed" Patriots fan with the Bruschi jersey in my closet will not endorse these two condescending clowns.

BS. Felger when he left to do ESPN 890 was very popular in this town and a Patriots ball washer. He didn't start to become the contrarian until Borges started to come on and people were calling in like crazy to fight with him. Even Boston Sports Media watch points out that Felger's show was good at the beginning and then changed when he went after ratings by becoming Borges Jr. and their job is to watch the media.

Felger is about the ratings. If his Borges Jr. act doesn't attract ratings he will dump it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back