PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking forward -- How does this affect the offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truck

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Would the following players be less/more likely to retire now than if we had won?
Seau
Bruschi
Harrison
(and whomever else I'm leaving off the list)

How does this loss affect Mcdaniel's? Does he get the boot for taking the greatest offense in history and creating a gameplan that got beat all game long? Or was the O-Line collapse not his fault and does BB still have complete confidence in him?

Will Moss be more or less willing to take the discount to stay? Does he still see this as the place to win a championship?

Does this affect Stallworth? He was pretty much a non factor during the playoffs and the later half of the season. I don't think it affects him one bit since I thought he'd be cut this offseason as soon as the deal was signed.

Does this negate any chance of Samuel staying? He didn't play like a 10 million corner in the playoffs. He didn't even play like an 8 million one.

Do we approach free agency any differently? I've got to believe that if we had won easily, there'd be no big free agent splashes; unless the players wanted to come here at deep discounts. Now, do we have to address the o-line? improve our pass rush?

Do the players come back with the same intensity next year? Its got to be a huge letdown and I'm guessing they're completely drained mentally. Hopefully they come back hungry; but I could also see some players come back a bit dejected.

And last but not least: Is this the beginning of the end? After we beat the Rams in 2001, they pretty much collapsed; Warner went from one of the best, to one of the best backups. I don't think it is; but at the same time, I think winning would've helped out (the younger generation of players would have the 'super bowl champ' swagger to teach the next few years).

I think this will make the front office realize that substantial changes have

to be made on the roster.

The roster is pretty well set in the defensive line, running back, and

quarterback. I'd like to see them use a high draft pick on a starting

taclke but the rest of the line is O.K. At wide receiver, I'd like to see

them re-sign or restructure two of the following: Moss, Gaffney, Stallworth,

and Washington. At linebacker, If Colvin restructures his contract,

they need a veteran linebacker and a couple of linebackers to develop.

The disaster area is in the defensive backfield. We stand to lose

Gay, Mitchell, Samuel, Scott, Wilson, and maybe Harrison. Good

veteran cornerbacks are going to demand money proportional to what

Asante receives. No bargains this year. For this reason the Pats may

have to rely on the draft for a couple. Good deep crop this year in the

draft at cornerback. They will need a safety to replace Wilson and

another if Harrison retires. Maybe, a veteran who plays special teams and

a rookie.

We may trade down a little in the first round and then combine multiple

picks to improve the quality of our picks. I expect it will be a very exciting

free agency and draft.

Last edited:
WR will be very interesting, I think Moss stays, and then we'll probably get one of the 3, Stallworth, Gaffney, and Kelley Washington, I'd love to see them bring back both Washington and Gaffney though but I think Jabar is most likely to stay.

O-line, can't really justify a signing here, the only potential addition i see would be is if Jake Long was available at the 7th pick.

D-Line is set

LB- I tend to think we might lose one of Seau or Bruschi to retirement, I hope Seau comes back. For years people have been clamoring to get some new blood in the LB corps, I look for Thomas to have an expanded role next season, possibly playing on the inside.

DB's- Samuel is gone you have to think, Someone is going to offer him a Bob Sanders type deal and he is going where ever he can get paid.
37- the heart of the secondary i hope he comes back but hes at the age where he could easily walk away tomorrow.
Fortunately Merriweather looked decent the last 2 games and could make an impact next year.

Bruschi and Seau definitely would have retired if they had won. I'm sure they're going to come back next year to try for another, and with some improvements in the offseason, that's a very real possibility.

My ideal world

Seau and hopefully Bru retire (replace with rook and K. Mitchell from the Giants)
Harrison stays another year, with Merriweather becoming the FT starter by mid-year
Moss resigned
Stallworth gone, C. Jackson replaces
Neal/Kazur one or both is relegated to a backup role....Replaced w/FA or 1st round draft pick
Samuel...I hope they sign...don't think they are going to outbid the competition on him. Replaced w/FA or 1st round draft pick

i seriously hope they will improve our aging and retiring D while maintaing our superior O.

Here's my hope for the off-season:

- Seau: Retire.

- Bruschi: Stick around another year as a back up.

- Colvin: Get his cap number down and keep.

- Re-sign moss for 2-3 years. If it becomes clear EARLY he doesn't want to stay, pick up the option on Stallworth. A WR corps of Welker, Stallworth, Gaffney, Chad Jackson and a rookie would be very solid.

- Gaffney: Re-sign.

- Harrison: Return. We can always use the depth and I think he's probably got another good year in him.

- Light and Kaczur: Draft a tackle early to compete with Lane, er, Light, and replace Kaczur with a solid FA.

- Samuel: Throw him the best offer we can without killing ourselves with the cap and if he doesn't want it then let him walk.

- Draft/FA: OL, DBs, LBs and maybe an RB to complement. The latter is more of a luxury. Lets not forget Morris will return next season.

Last edited:
Honestly I think this is a team-destroying loss

I don't think they'll recover psychologically

Honestly I think this is a team-destroying loss

I don't think they'll recover psychologically

Eat a d i c k, they will be back again... but, this is the worst possible type of loss that you can have.

This will be Belichick's most important offseason in my opin.

they made all the moves last offseason and they still lost

the problem is mental

the problem is mental

They got to the superbowl, and went through an undefeated regular season. Mental might have been what lost the game, but honestly if you think that's what is gonna break this team you haven't been watching Brady/Belichick very much. This hurts like hell but they will find ways to improve next season. They are not gonna let this kill the team. They take devastating losses and turn them into learning experiences. You bet they are going to be coming back with a vengeance next season.

Harrison said he wants to paly till his contract runs out. He said its a commitment that he must finish. Bruschi and Seau I'm not too sure about.

the problem is mental

Wow, dumbest thing I have ever heard. We won 18 games to start the season, we didnt score less than 20 all year, then this happened. It was bound to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes