PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking for a draft answer for Dustin Keller

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Going back to the 2nd Jets game and seeing how hard it was for us to bring him down.
Who could we select this year, without Talor Mays, who could help us?

Moore, at 230 Lbs, has the size, but I think most of us has fallen off his wagon.

Lewis delmas is listed at 200 Lbs, same as Meriweather, And I can still see even thought he was able to hold on, Brandon bounce back after trying to tackel him on the Third and 15 in OT allowing him the First.

Mays would have been Ideal, and we would of had the picks able to go get him. Still might even for Next year.

Who else is there?

Last edited:
Going back to that game and seeing how hard it was for us to bring him down.
Who could we select this year, without Talor Mays, who could help us?

Moore, at 230 Lbs, has the size, but I think most of us has fallen off his wagon.

Lewis delmas is listed at 200 Lbs, same as Meriweather, And I can still see even thought he was able to hold on, Brandon bounce back after trying to tackel him on the Third and 15 in OT allowing him the First.

Mays would have been Ideal, and we would of had the picks able to go get him. Still might even for Next year.

Who else is there?

Delmas is a heavy hitter, do not let his size fool you. But I see him more as a Tampa Two type Safty but I like this kid a lot. Other then Nick Harris (who I think I was the only one who liked him) will be a very nice WLB in a Tampa Two system (Derrek Brooks) but I thought he was a nice little Rodney. I think that Sean Smith would be the best bet to do the task of dealing with Keller.

Last edited:
Chip Vaughn, from Wake Forest, 6'2 215 and one of the best coverage safeties in the draft.

do you really think we are going to draft to stop 1 player on 1 team? i mean seriously. if not for blown coverage on 3rd and 15 in OT we would not be having this conversation. it was not a matter of physical inability, just a blown assignment.

Chip Vaughn, from Wake Forest, 6'2 215 and one of the best coverage safeties in the draft.
I like Vaughn too, getting him and Delmas in this draft would be sweet. Keith Fitzhugh (MS State) is a SS option.

A hybrid LB/SS (as opposed to a true SS) who might be worth a try is Jonathan Casillas (WI).

All of these kids will be outweighed by Keller, so developing Mayo, Guyton, and maybe Ruud as strong coverage LBs is a factor. Of course being able to improve the pass rush will help.

Other than Mayo and Guyton, I second the Sean Smith suggestion.

The Pats can neutralize Dustin Keller by improving their SILB position so that they can go back to rushing the passer from any of the 4 positions. The issue in the 2nd game was that Woods and Vrabel got crossed up with Mayo on who was supposed to cover Keller. The Pass Rush didn't get to Favre in time and, in turn, allowed him enough time to hit Keller in stride.

Part of this was due to the injury to Thomas. His not being on the field forced Vrabel and Woods to try and pick up the slack. And neither was able to. Either from not hearing the correct play call from Mayo or Mayo not calling the correct defensive adjustments. I am fairly certain we'll see a change in that this year, provided the defense is healthy.

Who eez Dustin Keller?? I am the great Pedro Martinez...err..Bill Belichick. I do not
draft players to stop a decent receiver. I haven't seen enough of these kids to make
a final call. But, I'm looking for more of a CF type than a thumper.

I always thought Mayo would cover Keller, but it seems he was used more in run support and to cover the RB or short route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back