PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking back on the 2011 draft...I still think it sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think BB grabbed Cannon to groom for Center?

:D Now that would be a sight! Cannon could beat out Koppen just by sitting on him.

:D Now that would be a sight! Cannon could beat out Koppen just by sitting on him.

If we resign Mankins the need for Guard drops significantly, everyone wants an upgrade over Koppen and if Scar can groom Cannon over the next year to take over at Center we get a beast who will be well equipped to handle some of the mammoth Nose tackles in the league, and all for a 5th round pick as opposed to the 1st round pick we'd probably need to get Mike Brewster, who would otherwise be my choice for the 1st round 2012 pick.

I wonder how Cannon stacks up to elite Centers, Sciz?

Last edited:
If we resign Mankins the need for Guard drops significantly, everyone wants an upgrade over Koppen and if Scar can groom Cannon over the next year to take over at Center we get a beast who will be well equipped to handle some of the mammoth Nose tackles in the league, and all for a 5th round pick as opposed to the 1st round pick we'd probably need to get Mike Brewster, who would otherwise be my choice for the 1st round 2012 pick.

I wonder how Cannon stacks up to elite Centers, Sciz?

Sorry, I honestly didn't realize you were serious. It seems to me like an odd stretch to project a massive, ultra-powerful tackle who struggles getting out of his 3-pt stance and is inconsistent raising his hands to center. Even an NT conversion would surprise me less.

When I referred to the different athletic profile for centers, I was assuming that other factors dominated for that role -- say hand quickness, balance, leadership and communication skills, fundamentals, quickness out of his stance, fast information processing, etc.

Sorry, I honestly didn't realize you were serious. It seems to me like an odd stretch to project a massive, ultra-powerful tackle who struggles getting out of his 3-pt stance and is inconsistent raising his hands to center. Even an NT conversion would surprise me less.

When I referred to the different athletic profile for centers, I was assuming that other factors dominated for that role -- say hand quickness, balance, leadership and communication skills, fundamentals, quickness out of his stance, fast information processing, etc.

Doh! I didnt know he was deficient in those areas:eek: Ok, I'm just going proceed with my regularly scheduled thoughts of Mike Brewster at Center.

I can't remember the last time Light or Vollmer lined up in a 3 pt. stance other than in short yardage situations.

As for getting his hands to center, as you say, that's a technique issue. And something that I am sure the Pats know about and will have corrected in due time.

I can't remember the last time Light or Vollmer lined up in a 3 pt. stance other than in short yardage situations.

As for getting his hands to center, as you say, that's a technique issue. And something that I am sure the Pats know about and will have corrected in due time.

OK, I clearly wrote a tortured sentence there!

I didn't mean to say "slow getting his hands to center," the intended meaning was "a guy who's slow out of his stance and slow to raise his hands is an unlikely prospect for the center position." IMO Cannon is a clear RT/RG.

Doh! I didnt know he was deficient in those areas:eek: Ok, I'm just going proceed with my regularly scheduled thoughts of Mike Brewster at Center.

Definitely a popular daydream around these parts! Though some decent centers went undrafted this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see a UDFA surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes