PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking back at the wreckage: Notes, observations, rants and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what point do injuries stop being back luck/karma, and start becoming the result of the way the team is run and assembled? Seems like their focus and construction is to win the AFC East and be a regular season monster, but are they making decisions that cost them in the playoffs? Special teams may be a critical factor, but who wasn't holding his breath as Welker was returning punts? Where would we have been if he got destroyed on punt return, and who wouldn't have asked what the hell was he doing out there?

At some point, would Wilfork have been more effective if he played fewer snaps during the regular season? 16 games takes a massive toll on players, and managing their health and fitness so they can perform in the playoffs means they may have to play a reduced role in the regular season. But road playoff games don't fill the stadium coffers.

At what point do injuries stop being back luck/karma, and start becoming the result of the way the team is run and assembled? Seems like their focus and construction is to win the AFC East and be a regular season monster, but are they making decisions that cost them in the playoffs? Special teams may be a critical factor, but who wasn't holding his breath as Welker was returning punts? Where would we have been if he got destroyed on punt return, and who wouldn't have asked what the hell was he doing out there?

At some point, would Wilfork have been more effective if he played fewer snaps during the regular season? 16 games takes a massive toll on players, and managing their health and fitness so they can perform in the playoffs means they may have to play a reduced role in the regular season. But road playoff games don't fill the stadium coffers.

In the past 6 seasons, the Colts have had one horrendous season (2011), but the other 5 they did this:

2007 - 13-3 - lost in divisional round
2008 - 12-4 - lost in wild card round
2009 - 14-2 - lost in Super Bowl
2010 - 10-6 - lost in wild card round
2012 - 11-5 - lost in wild card round

In the past 2 seasons since their SB win in 2010, the Packers have gone 15-1 and 11-5, but haven't gotten past the divisional round of the playoffs.

Since their SB victory in 2009, the Saints have had two excellent seasons (2010-11), but haven't gotten past the divisional round either.

Since their SB victory in 2008, the Steelers have not been worse than 8-8, and have had two excellent 12-4 seasons (2010-11), but lost once in the SB (to the Packers in '10) and in the wild card round to Tim Tebow and the Broncos ('11).

The Giants won the SB last year, yeah, great, but disappeared this year, and didn't do much from 2008-2010.

I mean, it's REALLY, REALLY hard to win the championship. Lots of outstanding teams have fallen short. I don't think the Patriots are doing anything "wrong" from a team-building perspective. They consistently have one of the best teams in the league and are always in contention for the title. This means that they consistently put a good product on the field. Their team-building philosophy obviously works. It's just a matter of a couple of plays here or there to put them over the top.

Don't forget: when they won their 3 SB titles, each one was by a single field goal. The margin for error then, as it is now, was very, very small. They just got the breaks then, and they're not getting them now. Hopefully they'll get them again soon.

Very concerned at Lewis' claim that they had figured out all the words, looks, and keys of the super no huddle.

Wasn't it Suggs who keeps on saying Pats havent won sheet since they cant 'CHEAT' anymore.

Exactly HOW DID Ratbirds get all that AUDIO tape matched up to plays so that they could diagnose the calls to the actions????

Sounds like they cheated to me. 4 :eek: Hypocrites.

Not that it matters / I care; I put the shoe on the other horse. IF THE Pats were so STUPID that they havent changed calls since week 3 and/or kept track of what they used in the last game vs these guys;.... They deserved to lose.:bricks:

So a good defense knew exactly what the Patriots were going to do, and still the Patriots ran 82 plays, had 28 first downs, and racked up 428 yards.

Shows you how damned good the Patriots are.

They knew enough to stop us in the red zone. That's all that matters

They knew enough to stop us in the red zone. That's all that matters

One of those "stops" was largely because Vereen dropped a wide open pass in the left flat that would have led to a first down. Can't credit the defense on that one.

But yes, I see your point.

One of those "stops" was largely because Vereen dropped a wide open pass in the left flat that would have led to a first down. Can't credit the defense on that one.

But yes, I see your point.

Well, you could argue Vereen took his eyes off the ball to look upfield because he was watching his teammates get laid out.

DL (pass rusher) is a higher priority than OL. I agree that WR and strong safety must be addressed.

Just one more point. TFB can and does change many plays at the line. He also meets and helps put the game plan together.

So if it's bad play calling or game planning at fault then Josh, BB,Brian, and TFB share the blame for bad play calls, the dropped balls, the missed blocks, not hitting the right hole, and poor throws, and not finishing drives.

But to me, it's poor execution as the #1 cause for not finishing the drives. Not saying all play calls were perfect, but it does let too many people off the hook when blaming play calling as #1 reason.

Just a note, and obviously you'll take it for what you feel it's worth: Tom Curran agrees with my point about the playcalling.

I "knew" the game was over when Ridley fumbled. It was at that point that I started watching the Castle marathon on TNT and just flicking over to the game during commercials.

When the Ravens went up 8, I loudly announced that the game was over. The writing on the wall was impossible to miss. It may have taken him a full half to figure it out, but Caldwell finally realized that, with Talib out, there was no reason to even attempt to run. Shotgun, every play, we had neither the corners nor the pass rushers to handle it.

[*] That said, this team's top priorities in the draft need to be S, WR and OL, probably in that order. If Gregory's the answer, I don't want to hear the question.

How do you feel about getting Ed Reed in FA as a potential answer to the safety question?

How do you feel about getting Ed Reed in FA as a potential answer to the safety question?

Ed Reed would be a huge improvement in our secondary, as would a host of lesser players. Gotta find one willing to come play within our salary structure. All options should be explored cognizant of our success rate with DBs.

If the salary cap wasn't an issue, I'd be all for it. I'd draft a safety in round one and have Reed teach the safeties how to be a pro. Unfortunately, we're looking at a flat cap and people already crying about what Welker would make. I don't see a way to make Reed fit, financially.

I've said this a few times. I absolutely hated the Tom Brady interview with Marino prior to the game, though it definitely explained what I've seen from Brady going into the last 2 SBs and the AFCCG.

If you missed it, Brady admitted to Marino that he's less patient now than he was back during the 3 SBs. I'll go so far as to say Brady has looked anxious. And it's shown as soon as he's come out of the tunnel. In the games the Pats have won, he's come out looking relaxed, calm, and collected. In the ones the Pats have lost, he's come out with almost a scowl on his face and not looking confident. And it shows in his play. The poorly thrown balls to Lloyd where they are at his feet or hitting the turf in front of him. The throw to Vereen that was behind him instead of in front of him. The missed open receivers.

I also think that, as a leader, the other players feed off of Tom's energy. If he's not fired up, then they aren't either. When he's over on the sidelines, sitting silently, not showing any emotion, I really think it's detrimental to the team.

Brady needs to show the same Passion he shows in "The Brady 6" for these big games, otherwise, there won't be a 4th ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes